Carrying small dog on bicycle (1 Viewer)

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We have a border terrier and are looking for a basket/holder for her on our bikes. Does anyone use such a thing for their dog and can recommend a particular model. Don't really want a wicker one as we would prefer something lighter weight.
thanks

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I've got one of these: -
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have a jack Russell and carry him ina box on the front of my bike, can't remember the make I'm sure it's the same as this one

Link Removed

It comes with a strap that you can hook on to his collar so he can't jump out, Toby loves sitting in it while I do all the work:ROFLMAO: it also folds down so easily stored.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have a small plastic box, with a sponge in the bottom, got loops on the front and back to attach his harness onto, he loves coming with us.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Who Knows ?

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
images

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Dog in a box?

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This is what Lesley used for her little un, and me for my Sasha. I used a dog seat belt to make sure she didn't jump out, not that she would ... she was a good little thing. Miss her. :Sad:

OOooops, sorry can't find ithe photo ...... but it is a wicker one that you can get from Halfords and it is big enough and is also ideal for bits of shopping if you have to pop to the shops when away.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well teddybard, you have posted 6 pictures that don't show and one that does.....I think you may have the same problem as 'Fidget'...........Griff :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You could put him in a carrier bag but get one in England, you have to pay 5p for them in Wales:Doh:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our dog which is a medium sized terrier kept trying to get out of the rear basket we fitted to my bike. :Angry:

So we bought one of these made by the German company Trixie. :thumb:

Link Removed

Its the smallest one they make and is ideal for Jess. :Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Our dog which is a medium sized terrier kept trying to get out of the rear basket we fitted to my bike. :Angry:

So we bought one of these made by the German company Trixie. :thumb:

Link Removed

Its the smallest one they make and is ideal for Jess. :Smile:

Seen quite a few of them in France

Wyn

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We used a larger version for our 2 Border Terriers. They loved it . I felt it was safer than having a dog in a basket on the handlebars. The bike felt more balanced.
Unfortunately it was one of the many things that got burnt to a crisp , when some scumbags set fire to Ralph's lock up. :Angry:
We haven't bothered to replace it yet , we tend to walk more than ride. Though our eldest Border is 15 now and although she loves a good walk she lags behind after a 2 or 3 miles or so. Weve thought about adapting a back pack for her , to give her a little rest.

OP
OP
Nethernut

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We have a small plastic box, with a sponge in the bottom, got loops on the front and back to attach his harness onto, he loves coming with us.

Did you make it yourself or buy it ready made. If the later, do you know the make please?
We bought one if the Trixie carriers but it was too small! Problem is that we live in N Scotland so really will have to buy something online so that she can get used to it before we go away.
Thanks all for the quick replys.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We have a Cairn Terrier and use a BICE WalkyBasket. Does the job.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have seen a family go off on one site with 2 of these trixie things with 2 little dogs in each all wrapped up like babies

Broken Link Removed

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
We have a
Jackhuahua and use one of these Broken Link Removed

I like to be able to lock her in, also Kathy slipped over with the dog in the basket, Tui (dog) was unhurt as she was kept in the basket.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We, too have a Border Terrier and also are researching to death a suitable carrier. Walking/running alongside is fine on cycle tracks but not near roads.

Like the idea of a child's tow along trailer, but seriously giving consideration for one of these:

Link Removed

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Did you make it yourself or buy it ready made. If the later, do you know the make please?
We bought one if the Trixie carriers but it was too small! Problem is that we live in N Scotland so really will have to buy something online so that she can get used to it before we go away.
Thanks all for the quick replys.

The plastci box was from a local DIY shop, and fastened to some ridig wood on the back of the back bike rack, then metal rings to attach his harness straps.
see picture

Attachments

• France 1 024 (800x600).jpg
    France 1 024 (800x600).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Nethernut

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that idea, if nothing else an economical way of getting her used to travelling on the back of the bike.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We've got one of these but our border out grew it. She is 9kgs and the recommended weight is for 7kgs. If you have a lighter border this is a very good quality carrier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Nethernut

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We, too have a Border Terrier and also are researching to death a suitable carrier. Walking/running alongside is fine on cycle tracks but not near roads.

Like the idea of a child's tow along trailer, but seriously giving consideration for one of these:

Link Removed

Don't want to go that route, especially on a bike, think she would too big to carry around like that. Plus OH is a photographer so quite often carries a photo rucksack on his back when we are walking, otherwise he has special bags on hs rear pannier, hence why I will have the dog on my bike.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You are welcome to try the basket I have, are you coming down south anytime soon?

I was going to put it on ebay as our dog is too heavy for it. We mostly run with her and then she stays in the van if we go out on the bikes, which unfortuantly means we can only go out for 2 or 3 hours. As long as the weathers cool she seems happy to wait that long.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The other thing you need to consider is if your bikes have suspension. These baskets can play havoc with the suspension on bikes, unless you have a lockout facility. I have a full suspension MTB and can lock the front forks but even then with the weight of basket and dog it did compress the forks slightly, I was worried about damaging the forks. Ridged forks are not a problem you just need to get used to steering with the extra weight on the bars. :whatthe:

tad kostka

Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
fife
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1981
dog trailer

I have a dog trailer that I used for my little sht sue. we had bad accident on my motorcycle ,I have problems on my push bike and will sell said trailer It clips on the rear wheel of any cycle
this could be a safer way to transport the pet.can be seen on preloved.or call 0775946385. I live in fife.

OP
OP
Nethernut

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You are welcome to try the basket I have, are you coming down south anytime soon?

I was going to put it on ebay as our dog is too heavy for it. We mostly run with her and then she stays in the van if we go out on the bikes, which unfortuantly means we can only go out for 2 or 3 hours. As long as the weathers cool she seems happy to wait that long.

Thanks for the kind offer, but it would be too small for Poppy by just a few inches. We have decided to get a front pannier type support for my bike which should help stability then make something for her from a plastic box to use once the weather improves just to make sure that she will sit in the box. If it works we will probably just use it until we are either in France or Holland and see if we can get something lightish and collapsible.

Thank you everyone for all the advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back