A Tale Of Freeloading Off-Site Motorhomers. (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The following report has been related to me by a Belgium Hymer 700S owner whom I met the other week in Silves

The Algarve town of Silves is very popular with off-siters because, although it is not near the sea, it has a super castle to visit and the area where the vans park is near a supermarket and has access to water and a cassette emptying manhole. But the main reason for its popularity is that the mayor is very supportive of them.

Silves recently hit the national news when a freak tornado swept through the town causing a lot of damage.

Apparently (I wasn't there) it was back on telly and in the newspapers because a group of these freeloaders arranged a collection amongst themselves and raised €1800 which they took to the Council. The reporter told me the Mayor refused the money on behalf of the town but suggested a way it could be used to help the community.

I am told that the money bought nine new wheelchairs for the locals.

Having previously stated that 90% of what you hear on the motorhoming grapevine is rubbish l do hope this report is true...

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If its from a Belgium it must be true.:Doh:

If you dont agree i will let my wife fead it.:ROFLMAO:

But I also hope it is true.

Wild camping is not always about price its sometimes about location

Mel

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It would be really nice if this is true.

Silves is a lovely town with great architecture and a great market.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am pretty sure it is true.

There would be no reason for this man to fib...

He was there and also reported with a twinkle in his eye that the people in the big, posh motorhomes made the smaller donations...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Whether true or not - it is a nice story

JJ

Whether it’s true or not - it is a nice story. :thumb::thumb:

I have for many years thought that you should put something back into the society in which you live and have always tried to do so.

Whether it is purchasing goods and services from local tradesmen or businesses or giving your time freely to local good causes.

I have volunteered for or supported something or other for the last thirty years.

MikeD::bigsmile:

Deleted User
I also hope this is true but if the local council charged even €2.50 a night for the 2-300 units parked there they would make around €500 to €700 a night

Incidentally does anyone know where the said manhole leads, these car parks are next to the river and not all manholes lead to foul sewers.

"Wild camping is not always about price its sometimes about location"

If you have ever seen this location I think that you would agree that in no way could the people that stay there be described as wild campers. I have more space on my campsite, which some have likened to a 'car park', than most of the units packed in on the actual car parks at Silves.

Frankly it is one of the most appalling sights that I have seen.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just found this on the internet

Silves motorhomers raise funds to help city’s needy

by Carrie-Marie Bratley, in General · 24-01-2013 09:44:00 · Link Removed
A group of motorhome owners, who are among the hundreds who flock to Silves every year to enjoy the Algarve’s winter sunshine, have raised over €1,000 to help the city’s needy as a means of giving thanks “for putting up with us.”

Link Removed

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wonder if this guy has seen that article:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDDHMP2OuaA"]Wild Campers / Camping in Alvor Portugal 02/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think Alvor is Silves is it?

Different places...

Some holiday home owners might there in Alvor in Feb but I suspect not many.

Of course neither "site" appeals to me much... too many vans there for me...:ROFLMAO:

JJ. :Cool:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
The following report has been related to me by a Belgium Hymer 700S owner whom I met the other week in Silves

The Algarve town of Silves is very popular with off-siters because, although it is not near the sea, it has a super castle to visit and the area where the vans park is near a supermarket and has access to water and a cassette emptying manhole. But the main reason for its popularity is that the mayor is very supportive of them.

Silves recently hit the national news when a freak tornado swept through the town causing a lot of damage.

Apparently (I wasn't there) it was back on telly and in the newspapers because a group of these freeloaders arranged a collection amongst themselves and raised €1800 which they took to the Council. The reporter told me the Mayor refused the money on behalf of the town but suggested a way it could be used to help the community.

I am told that the money bought nine new wheelchairs for the locals.

Having previously stated that 90% of what you hear on the motorhoming grapevine is rubbish l do hope this report is true...

JJ:Cool:

Hey, forget the politics of off site camping... WHERE can I get nine wheelchairs for 1800 Euro's?? I need to pass on the details to NHS procurement NOW!!

Lorraine x

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I'm sure that'sBroken Link Removed I discovered that he rents houses in Alvor. :Smile:

There's also a big campsite in Alvor that was nearly empty last year, we think the campsite owner was complaining to the police, that's why a lot of them were moved on last winter.

Nigel and Pamala

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
just had a thought... .

Is it possible to Freeload On-Site ?

do you nick leccy form your neighbours EHU ... or siphon his water at night ... ?

or ... do a "drive-away" ... :Eeek:

Not possible in Spain for some time now Jim. Spanish campsite owners keep your passport until you pay on departure. Only applies to the Brits though, or so am told :RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If true well done,

On another matter though,

Just watched the clip from Mr upset at Alvor,

Probably on my own, but I think he's got a point if and it is a big IF people are dumping down storm drains etc etc. But why the council don't sort it out with a small charge for water etc beats me.

But Point 2

Am I the only person looking at that place and thinking to myself, I would rather be anywhere else but there?
The place looks like not even a glorified Gypsy site, just a horrid scrubland area. Free or not free, it don't float my boat.

each to their own and all that, but, boy that ain't my idea of Motorhoming. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Obviously not referring to JJ for from what I see he has life organised with proper planning and back-up with something to keep him occupied. I could admit that I am a tad jealous. However, life must be really bad in the UK for these other sad soles, living in third world conditions dumping down a storm drain having someone supplying you with you basic needs like water, relying on charity for somewhere to rest. Not for me.:Sad:
What is this charity stunt about, look at me I'm living like this out of choice not necessity. Yeah right.....:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am pretty sure it is true.
There would be no reason for this man to fib...
He was there and also reported with a twinkle in his eye that the
[HI]people in the big, posh motorhomes made the smaller donations..[/HI].:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
JJ :Cool:
Could this be because they have sold their home and possessions for this dream and the posh motorhome is all they have. Big posh motorhomes living for free away from the sea on wasteland. OK.......:Smile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Having seen the video clip, I do not understand why anyone would want to gather like this, on a site like this. It reminds me of nothing more than a Itinerant camp.
My idea of 'wild camping' would be somewhere secluded, peaceful, and very pleasing to the eye. Not a barren piece of scrubland, with dozens of others around me.
Just my opinion, not a criticism of those that do.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Could this be because they have sold their home and possessions for this dream and the posh motorhome is all they have. Big posh motorhomes living for free away from the sea on wasteland. OK.......:Smile:

Sorry buttons. you have it all wrong..

They [STRIKE]freeload [/STRIKE] wild camp here by choice, not to save money but for the ambience and freedom from noisy neighbours.. far far better than on a secure site with all facilities, hot showers, EHU, water and sewage hook up.. they enjoy the freedom to lift manhole covers to do a dump in.. ..
Beats me why anyone would chose a site when you can have all this free..::bigsmile:

This is Living The Dream :winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer/freeloader/sponger/Itinerant whatever you want to call me I think my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I like to wild whenever possible but I do so responsibly.

However I would NEVER stay at a place like this. I would never dump waste into a storm drain. When wilding I never stay in one place more than 2 days preferably only one.

And yes, I am living my dream. Almost 4 years now :thumb:

If I want to stay in one place for a period of time I will find a secluded CL in the UK or look for a small campsite like chickenrun which I hope to get to this year.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just to add a little oil to the fire. Some photos of a freeloader. I just wish I could afford those extortionate campsite fees.

Attachments

• Morocco 007.jpg
    Morocco 007.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Morocco 062.jpg
    Morocco 062.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Morocco 002.jpg
    Morocco 002.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Morocco 004.jpg