Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
480mb!
Can you believe it?
Still downloading it!
3 hours and i have 84% of the download!
If its any good i will let you know!:Eeek:

Its free on the front of a few computer mags this week. I won't bother with it I will have to dragged kicking and screaming from Windows XP sp2, there is nothing to touch it for usabilty a stability. Microsoft always bring out crap versions between good ones, remember ME:roflmto: Maybe the next version will be better than XP. :Smile:

OP
OP
Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Jim!
Your probably right!
Unfortunately i'm stuck with Vista because of my PC!
Can't get the software from HP to use XP!
93% nearly there!:ROFLMAO:

PS: I think theres a SP3 for XP now!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi DD your right, just had a look 315MB!! don't think I will bother.

Olley

OP
OP
Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Olley!
I was reading up on it today and apparently it improves lots of things!
I have had trouble with my mobile internet so giving it a try!
Oooo! 98% i'm getting excited now!:ROFLMAO:
Will look at the magazines tomorrow for the free disc!
The ultimate version is 700 and sommink mb!

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
If anyone happens to get a copy of it for x64 Ultimate edition, I ould be grateful! Don't really want to download it over a mobile link :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Before anybody starts the download it's worth checking if you really need it.

I just switched on the laptop and went looking for SP1 having seen this thread and there is a message there "Do Not Click Download If You Are Updating Just One Computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is available on Windows Update".

Looked at Windows Update and it says my system is up to date.

From that I take it that if you have regularly downloaded and installed the small updates as they are published then you already have SP1 in effect.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I got the impression that the service pack was just an accumulation of all the current updates available so far.

I've found that vista is pretty quick to update during our customer builds anyway.

Personally I am NOT a Vista fan, preferring XP as a more efficient Operating system and will certainly wait as usual, for all the "BETA" testers to find the pitfalls first.:ROFLMAO:

I remember some years ago that one of my colleagues , also administering a large network, bit the bullet and loaded the service pack image onto all his clients.:RollEyes:

He won't be doing that again.

I will be making a Ghost Restore image of any machine I load it on to first, Just in case. That said, Microsoft updates do seem to be a bit more thoroughly tested and robust nowadays................but we'll see.

As Always, the same rule applies. Ensure all your valuable data is backed up first.

Last edited:

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
Jim!
Your probably right!
Unfortunately I'm stuck with Vista because of my PC!
Can't get the software from HP to use XP!
93% nearly there!:ROFLMAO:

PS: I think theres a SP3 for XP now!

Hi DD

"Win doze" Vista is the biggest con trick ever produced by Microsoft, not very many programs over 3 years old will run on it,(try running office 2003) you therefore have to spend a lot of money buying the latest versions, this is a great money making scam for Microsoft, as if they don't have enough millions already.
The good news is that you may not be stuck with Vista, Microsoft have eventually realised that they have major problems and if you log onto their website they are offering everyone who has a bona fide registered version of Vista, a free copy of Windows XP , don't know which version they will send to you, but anything is better than Vista. By the way did you know that VISTA stands for Viruses Intrusions Spy ware Trojans Ad aware ?.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi DD

"Win doze" Vista is the biggest con trick ever produced by Microsoft, not very many programs over 3 years old will run on it,(try running office 2003) you therefore have to spend a lot of money buying the latest versions, this is a great money making scam for Microsoft, as if they don't have enough millions already.
The good news is that you may not be stuck with Vista, Microsoft have eventually realised that they have major problems and if you log onto their website they are offering everyone who has a bona fide registered version of Vista, a free copy of Windows XP , don't know which version they will send to you, but anything is better than Vista. By the way did you know that VISTA stands for Viruses Intrusions Spy ware Trojans Ad aware ?.

That's fine as long as the Laptop/PC Manufacturers supply the system drivers for their mainboard and Graphics/audio boards (SATA Drivers etc) for Windows XP. Otherwise it means trawling around the chipset manufacturers sites for them.

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi DD

Office 2003 runs perfectly on my Vista Home Premium laptop so there must be some special reason why it won't on yours.

The main problem was getting drivers for my "old" (1 or 2 years !) equipment.

What really amazed me is that I have a very old Canon BJC 85 portable printer installed instantly without me having to supply the drivers.

Life's weird at times

My opinion of Vista, which came with the laptop, is that is muck more glitzy than XP Pro but not a lot more useful (to me) in other ways.

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
myshell,

You said try running OFFICE 2003 on VISTA.

I run Office 2000 successfully, without a hic-cough. What problems are you having?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I also obtained Vista because it came on the laptop but I haven't had any problems running programs I have used for several years. Mind you, I never had problems with XP either - even though the IT manager imported by the "strategic partner" of my last employer was incredulous :roflmto:

The only problem I have had with Vista is removing the hand holding features which protect untrained users - something I find a bit of a bore having written my first program in 1966 ::bigsmile:

Graham

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I downloaded and installed SP1 and it only took about 30 mins all in

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine won't install SP1 :cry:. Comes up with error code 8004100A. Brand new pooter.:Eeek: Any ideas anyone?

I did a search on Microsoft web site for the error code and it looks like it is a fairly common but unexplained error.

Are you sure you need the update Ken? With a brand new machine I would restore to initial state and then try going through the Windows Update route.

Graham

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
quote=GJH;71740]I did a search on Microsoft web site for the error code and it looks like it is a fairly common but unexplained error.

Are you sure you need the update Ken? With a brand new machine I would restore to initial state and then try going through the Windows Update route.

Graham[/quote]

Hi machine seems quite stable and very fast, just that MS said update was there so gave it a run. Don't really want to restore yet as i've just got all my software in how I want it. Thanks for the help though. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
American Dream hit the nail on the head!
I tried installing XP but Compaq don't do the drivers for my laptop!
I know SP1 is a pack of all prior updates but i like to clean instal Vista quite often so its good to have them on a disc!
Did check out the magazines but they just have tokens for the disc!
All in all Vista's ok when you know your way around it but its ram hungry!
Gonna throw another gig at it soon and see if that helps!

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well, just after I installed the update, i needed to restart my laptop. A message saying vista encountered an error and needed to shut down popped up. This happeneted everytime I restarted it. A system restore to earlier today sorted it out. No more SP1 for me!!

OP
OP
Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I really don't know why Microsoft didn't build on XP!
Its like swapping a Ferrari for a pimped up Robin Reliant!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That should allow us to only delay Windows 7 by thirteen months past its scheduled date instead of the planned eighteen

A planned delay? isnt that a scheduled date:Doh::ROFLMAO:
Geo

A

avandriver

Deleted User
Hi DD

I am running Vista home premium .
I am also using Microsoft office 2000 and I have never had any compatability issues

Am I just one of the lucky ones

Steve

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I am running Vista home premium .
I am also using Microsoft office 2000 and I have never had any compatability issues

Am I just one of the lucky ones

Steve

Nope, not at all. We run it on a number of pcs and laptops in the office and my own laptop at home. All of the office type apps and my 4 year old Lexmark all-in-1 printer have worked without problem.
If there's one piece of advice I'd give it's do a bare disk install, the in-place upgrade generates a load of issues. Use the User Migration toolkit to back everything up and then install Vista to a newly formatted partition.

Regards
Doug

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For a home user - which I expect most people on this forum are - I can't see much point in moving to Vista until you need to replace your PC. The only reason then is that your new machine will probably have it pre-installed - and it seems that a clean install doesn't have the problems which upgrades have.

This latter point is no surprise because I remember the same sort of problem with upgrades to mainframe operating systems in the 1970s.

For the home user then, leave the complicated stuff to the people who work in IT - and if they haven't worked out a painless upgrade path before rolling it out to the whole organisation, pass them a hankie ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back