CO-ORDINATES on a snooper HELP ON HOW TO USE (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a snooper S6000 and want to use co-ordinates but after getting the co-ordinates on google maps, I enter them in the snooper but it always comes up with "incorrect data, please re-input data"
I have tried various ways to input it but still comes up with that message.
What am I doing wrong please.
We have an old tom tom and the same numbers work on that but I want to snooper to work as it has heights and widths on it for our van.
It would be much more useful than postcodes to get where we are going, postcodes can often be wrong.
I have put
50.983512, -3.204650 in which brings me to chelston motorhomes which google gives me but will not work on my sat nav, any advice please?

The snooper doesnt have the minus sign so is that stopping it working, maybe daft question but I gotta ask!!!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Cant remember how to change format.

But if youhave a problem phont the tecnical dept at Snooper.

They are a great company.

Nothing is too mutch for them.

I whould say there customer service is 1st class.

I went there when i was in the UK

They could not sort out the problem just swaped it for a new unit

0333 240 1000

They will ring you back

Mel

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Co ordinates

Hi Trish
The cordinates you are entering are in the decimal format so were you have a minus sign-
enter a "0" or better still enter 003 as opposed to -3
Hope that helps:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Hope this picture works, cant use keyboards to show you how I can input data on sat nav, cannnot write well on my s.note on my galaxy note but shows the icons that I cannot input on my keyboard.

B]
wow thats big!!! have to resize!!!

Link Removed

There thats better, now I know for next time tee hee

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The problem you are encountering is caused by a mismatch in the way the coordinates are specified. There are three basic formats.
Decimal degrees (which is what you have got from the mapping software): DDD.DDDD
Degrees and decimal minutes: DDD MM.MMM
Degree, Minutes and Seconds (sometimes with decimal seconds added for extreme accuracy: DDD MM SS.SS

It seems that the DDD.DDDD format is becoming the most common although many publications still use the others.

Then there is the issue of positive or negative.
North (of the equator) and East (of the Greenwich meridian) are positive, South and West are negative (we can forget about South unless you intend to drive to the Congo!)

So: 50.983512, -3.204650 is the same as N 50.983512, W 3.204650
Or: 50.983512, 3.204650 is the same as N 50.983512, E 3.204650

Many satnavs have switchable input formats: the Garmin does but I have no experience of the Snooper. If it is possible you will find the setting in the menu somewhere.
Failing that you could try to find a Lat/Long format conversion widget. There are internet sites that do it but a little programme installed on your laptop might be more useful. The image below is for a Mac widget to give you an idea of what to look for - I have never tried to find one for a Windows PC. In the picture, I have used the same coordinates as in your first post. You will see that the converter gives both the other formats, separately and as a single line entry.

p.s. If you are using an Android tablet, I have just found this site which might be helpful (I know nothing about using an Android tablet though)
Link Removed

Attachments

• Coords.jpg
    Coords.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have found a co-ordinate converter that works for me, thanks Philip for that info and thank you guys for the help in this, I can now use the sat nav using co-ordinates.
No more just guessing the entrance to various CL's and campsites.
:thumb::thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I have found a co-ordinate converter that works for me, thanks Philip for that info and thank you guys for the help in this, I can now use the sat nav using co-ordinates.
No more just guessing the entrance to various CL's and campsites.
:thumb::thumb:

hi
there is no need to use the converter, in the snopper manual under co-ordinates section it tells you how to enter the 3 different types GPS formats on to the unit, I printed the relevant page out and left in glove box, Whatever type of GPS I come across, I refer to print out and enter into unit. Works everytime.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
hi
there is no need to use the converter, in the snopper manual under co-ordinates section it tells you how to enter the 3 different types GPS formats on to the unit, I printed the relevant page out and left in glove box, Whatever type of GPS I come across, I refer to print out and enter into unit. Works everytime.

This sound helpful,I don't have a manual can you tell me how to get one please?

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
This sound helpful,I don't have a manual can you tell me how to get one please?

I down loaded mine from snooper site, if you just need the revelant page and do not want the whole manual send me your address by pm and I copy mine and post it to you

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the offer i am downloading it right now.
Thanks again.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have a snooper S6000 and want to use co-ordinates but after getting the co-ordinates on google maps, I enter them in the snooper but it always comes up with "incorrect data, please re-input data"
I have tried various ways to input it but still comes up with that message.
What am I doing wrong please.
We have an old tom tom and the same numbers work on that but I want to snooper to work as it has heights and widths on it for our van.
It would be much more useful than postcodes to get where we are going, postcodes can often be wrong.
I have put
50.983512, -3.204650 in which brings me to chelston motorhomes which google gives me but will not work on my sat nav, any advice please?

The snooper doesnt have the minus sign so is that stopping it working, maybe daft question but I gotta ask!!!

TRISH-N-TEZ....for you and anybody else
Here is a simple way for you …….when you use Google earth.....(to find the format you normal use).
Follow these instructions
Go to Google maps,...
Exactly on the position you want to go....right click your mouse button,....
A box will come up…….go down the box ........and left click on "What's here?"

This will put the coordination’s in you search bar in d,d format....

Now is the info you want....
Go back to Google maps.....
At the place you pointed to you will find a green arrow....if you hover over it with your mouse it gives you the coordination’s that it put in your search bar............

NOW LEFT CLICK ON THE GREEN ARROW...and it will give you both coordinations:thumb::winky::winky:

Or you can change your format in your sat nav...
But using Google maps you pick the coordination’s you go exactly where you want to go ......SIMPLE ….then enter them into your sat nav…..SIMPLE

Now go and try it …and let me know how you get on :thumb:....Mel

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
You can also change Google earth to give you co-ordinates in the format that you want.
Mike

Oops-Heyupluv was posting similar as I was typing this lol

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back