vintage cars lorries bikes etc (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
We like steam rallies as there is usually lots of old lorries, cars and bikes on show and it is a good opportunity to meet like minded people. There is usually a beer tent :beer: and some music to help make the week end a success regardless of our unpredictable weather :rain: Are there any more funsters out there that do this? mabe some 'old' lorry drivers.::bigsmile:riving2: If so which are your favorite shows.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
We do, we go to rempstone in July ,Lincoln in August ,and Kettering in September.we love the laid back feeling of these steam fairs.:thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
The Golden oldies

Hi Hilary
I love all the mature vehicles. Have worked on most of them. I have grate affection for commers, qx and TS3s in particular. I am just finishing off a 54 convertable Sr 2 Morris Minor, a nut and bolt rebuild. We have owned it for over 25years. We are just waiting for a new interior from Newton Commercial. Intend to take it to the shows [if its not raining ] The car was built in 1953 and first taxed the same month that I started work as an apprentice motor machanic in 1954. It is black with a red hood and a leather magnollia interior. It should look stunning when complete.
Judging from your avitar you have Scammell, machanical oss as we say up hear in the cold dark north. Never worked on the Scammell but had a lot of fun with Scammell couplings. He He He :ROFLMAO:
Pudseykeith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Hi Hilary
I love all the mature vehicles. Have worked on most of them. I have grate affection for commers, qx and TS3s in particular. I am just finishing off a 54 convertable Sr 2 Morris Minor, a nut and bolt rebuild. We have owned it for over 25years. We are just waiting for a new interior from Newton Commercial. Intend to take it to the shows [if its not raining ] The car was built in 1953 and first taxed the same month that I started work as an apprentice motor machanic in 1954. It is black with a red hood and a leather magnollia interior. It should look stunning when complete.
Judging from your avitar you have Scammell, machanical oss as we say up hear in the cold dark north. Never worked on the Scammell but had a lot of fun with Scammell couplings. He He He :ROFLMAO:
Pudseykeith
Sounds a great little car look forward to seeing it out and about soon then:thumb: We had an old commer walk thru years ago it was my introduction to motorhoming we went to wales and got caught up in hurricane charlie :helptitanic::Sad: Since then have had lots of old vehicles mostly big heavy stuff but they have nearly all gone now and just left with the 'hoss' and a fairly new aquasition a standard vanguard pick up 1954 which is quite rare apparently.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
We do, we go to rempstone in July ,Lincoln in August ,and Kettering in September.we love the laid back feeling of these steam fairs.:thumb:
Too right, great atmosphere have been to all of those and they are all good shows well worth a visit.:thumb:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have done a few of these events and thought they were great. I particularly liked the Lincoln show, unfortunately this tends to clash with the Malvern MH show but in a lot of ways think it is better event to attend.

It would be good to have a fun rally at some of these events, all we need is someone to organise it.

Mike

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I help out with running traction engines at steam shows up and down the country for a very serious collector. When I say serious, I mean he has loads of them.
The rallies are, as you say, a good way to meet people and have a relaxing time having fun.
I worked in heavy haulage for years and see lots of vehicles that I have driven or know well. Sunters, Wynns, Econofreight etc.

The beer tent is still my favouite attraction though :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi scammellmanswife, Commer Ts3, by the cringe that takes me back, what a bloody noisy thing that was.

I did my apprenticeship on Rootes Group vehicles and though we were a Commer dealer the largest I ever worked on besides the council slide-side dust cart was the walk-thru.

As regards shows, the only one I ever visit is the Dorset Steam Fair and it is great.

I'd love a close up look of your three wheeled Scammell 'Scarab' if I remember correctly, they were last used down in Salisbury by Red Star Parcels on British Rail.
:thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Sounds a great little car look forward to seeing it out and about soon then:thumb: We had an old commer walk thru years ago it was my introduction to motorhoming we went to wales and got caught up in hurricane charlie :helptitanic::Sad: Since then have had lots of old vehicles mostly big heavy stuff but they have nearly all gone now and just left with the 'hoss' and a fairly new aquasition a standard vanguard pick up 1954 which is quite rare apparently.

hi Hilary. Sorry for a slow reply. you are right a vagard pick up must be rare indeed. Have never seen one. Is it a manufactured one or a chopped example.
In the past I had a 1949 Triumph TR 1 [The one with dicky seats] This had a vangurd ,engine and gear box with a column change. not shure about the rear axel. It wanted a unafordabe steering box so had to sell her.Good look with her rebuild.

Pudseykeith :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I remember watching this years ago, and gave some good info on the scarab. I dare say Scammelmanswife has probably seen it, but fascinating for others.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y93t44AhsEQ"]salvage squad the scammell part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g24GhKPkH30"]salvage squad the scammell part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Steam events do seem to have a habit of clashing with other things.
There is the steam and vintage fair at Castle Combe racetrack. Avon group of the MCC always put a rally on, you get parked up around the track. Mainly stationary engines, tractors and some cars but one of those nice rallies.

This year it is May 17-19th, the same as the Newbury Show.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
standard vanguard pick up phase 2

hi Hilary. Sorry for a slow reply. you are right a vagard pick up must be rare indeed. Have never seen one. Is it a manufactured one or a chopped example.
In the past I had a 1949 Triumph TR 1 [The one with dicky seats] This had a vangurd ,engine and gear box with a column change. not shure about the rear axel. It wanted a unafordabe steering box so had to sell her.Good look with her rebuild.
Pudseykeith :thumb:
Actually we took the easy option and bought it fully restored :Smile: but are very appreciative of people like yourselves who put in hours and hours of work to help preserve these lovely old vehicles. We believe it was exported in 1953 in crates and assembled in Australia. It then returned to the uk in 2005 in a semi restored condition. We aquired the vehicle in july 2011 and it has been to several shows since.::bigsmile:riving2: Hopefully we will be out and about with it again this year and fingers crossed fo some decent weather! :sin:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 32

peterandclare

Free Member
Nov 8, 2010
warrington UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
keep it going

Great to see an old Scarab being kept alive.

Much more relevant and important than yet another perfectly presented MGB, Healy 3000 or E type beautiful though they may be.

Keep it going you guys and thanks from the rest of us for the good work!

Pete

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We go to the Henham Steam rally in Suffolk every year with CC and thoroughly enjoy it. We have a Triumph Herald that we have had for over 20 years now but we don't take that as it is now in need of some tlc as it is some years since we did any work on it.
We love going to Henham as it is very relaxing and a reminder of a more laid back life style.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We like steam rallies as there is usually lots of old lorries, cars and bikes on show and it is a good opportunity to meet like minded people. There is usually a beer tent :beer: and some music to help make the week end a success regardless of our unpredictable weather :rain: Are there any more funsters out there that do this? mabe some 'old' lorry drivers.::bigsmile:riving2: If so which are your favorite shows.

I guess I am one of those "old" lorry drivers, whilst I didn't drive one as in your signature, British rail used them, I did drive one of the old Pickford type scammel, it had (hard to remember) at least 2 levels of reverse gear, and about 10 other gears.

At the time it was common for the driver to take the unit home and use it for transport backwards and forwards to work, at the weekend I would quite often go shopping in it :Smile::thumb:

Last edited:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
one weekend not to be missed is the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza at the beginning of May, most streets are filled with fairground rides and steam engines. A shuttle bus runs to the show fields where there are old wagons, buses, cars, vans, motorbikes, campervans and a very large autojumble area where you can source old parts and tools. There is a camp site close by called Dinarth Hall, Rhos-on-sea, LL28 4PX, early booking there would be advisable. If you attempt to travel from Ryl on the coast road you will need to allow at least an hour and a half as the road is usually grid locked during the day. It's one show not to be missed.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I guess I am one of those "old" lorry drivers, whilst I didn't drive one as in your signature, British rail used them, I did drive one of the old Pickford type scammel, it had (hard to remember) at least 2 levels of reverse gear, and about 10 other gears.

At the time it was common for the driver to take the unit home and use it for transport backwards and forwards to work, at the weekend I would quite often go shopping in it :Smile::thumb:
Was it one of these Bill ?

Attachments

• GDSF02 001.jpg
    GDSF02 001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 40

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Was it one of these Bill ?

Very similar but only one rear axle, but nearly the same size.....Ah! Memories!!

The radiator was about as tall as me (6ft) with a clock on the top so you could see the water temp. Wooden floor and if you tried to go forward in the low low first gear the front wheels would lift off he floor. Didn't think they were happy day then......but I do now :thumb::Smile:

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Scammell MU

Mabe this one then Bill !:Smile: Its got the gauge on the front i think some refer to it as the coffee pot scammell. This vehicle belonged to a good friend of ours in Derbyshire and was only sold recently. Its gone to join the fair!!

Attachments

• thCAY2YS0N.jpg
    thCAY2YS0N.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 51

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Mabe this one then Bill !:Smile: Its got the gauge on the front i think some refer to it as the coffee pot scammell. This vehicle belonged to a good friend of ours in Derbyshire and was only sold recently. Its gone to join the fair!!

Yup! That's the one. I will now spend the next few days going over those times. Thanks for the picture.

It wasn't a coffee pot scammell when I drove mine, it was just MY lorry and NOBODY drove it but me. Some would say sad bugger. But for me happy days.:Smile:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Actually we took the easy option and bought it fully restored :Smile: but are very appreciative of people like yourselves who put in hours and hours of work to help preserve these lovely old vehicles. We believe it was exported in 1953 in crates and assembled in Australia. It then returned to the uk in 2005 in a semi restored condition. We aquired the vehicle in july 2011 and it has been to several shows since.::bigsmile:riving2: Hopefully we will be out and about with it again this year and fingers crossed fo some decent weather! :sin:

Hi Hilary. Just picked up your post. that vanguard looks the real deal. What a grate find. How old is it. Have placed the pic in my album of golden oldies.
Envious Regards, Pudseykeith :thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi scammellmanswife, Commer Ts3, by the cringe that takes me back, what a bloody noisy thing that was.

I did my apprenticeship on Rootes Group vehicles and though we were a Commer dealer the largest I ever worked on besides the council slide-side dust cart was the walk-thru.

As regards shows, the only one I ever visit is the Dorset Steam Fair and it is great.

I'd love a close up look of your three wheeled Scammell 'Scarab' if I remember correctly, they were last used down in Salisbury by Red Star Parcels on British Rail.
:thumb:

Hi hilary and Popeye. The TS3 may have been noise but what a great mill it was. They were only 3 lts capasity supercharged. They would carry 16 ton with ease and return 18 to 20MPG
The very early ones had the habit of running backwards. You would be parked at traffic lights or some such thing, when the mill would ,as it were, miss a beat and the begger would start to run backwards, 4 reverse gears and one forwards. On the eary ones also the supercharger would stop scavageing the engine oil back to the sump,fill up and then pumping the oil strait into the cylinders. This made the engine start to rev up uncontrolably until the engine exploded. It was immposible to shut the darn things down. Such fun.
Sorry for rambleing.
Pudseykeith

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
one weekend not to be missed is the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza at the beginning of May, most streets are filled with fairground rides and steam engines. A shuttle bus runs to the show fields where there are old wagons, buses, cars, vans, motorbikes, campervans and a very large autojumble area where you can source old parts and tools. There is a camp site close by called Dinarth Hall, Rhos-on-sea, LL28 4PX, early booking there would be advisable. If you attempt to travel from Ryl on the coast road you will need to allow at least an hour and a half as the road is usually grid locked during the day. It's one show not to be missed.
Yes LLandudno Spring bank holiday weekend is great we did the rally for several years. The grid lock is caused by the vehicles from the rally doing a 'road run' round the town and up the Great Orme (quite a test for an old vehicle) :clap: Especially the brakes on the way down :whatthe: :ROFLMAO:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
vintage cars lorries bykes etc

I once went to a scrap yard for a Bedford TK starter motor, fitted it and problem, the engine turned in reverse. Reason, the starter motor was off a Commer TS3. It was soon changed. I used to travel many many miles in a Guy Otter with a 4LW Gardner, 39mph with the wind behind you. Heater, demister, in your dreams.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have tried my best to keep off this thread as I had to have treatment for the old vehicle illness some years ago and dont want to fall into a relapse :ROFLMAO:.
We used to restore old military vehicles when we had the workshop, and always had a hospital job on the go for when the fitter had no work to do. I will put some photos of the befores on this post and then some afters on another.
Maybe this will explain my passion for older motorhomes :RollEyes:

Attachments

• summer with the stutvoets 015.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 015.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 25
  • summer with the stutvoets 016.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 016.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 27
  • summer with the stutvoets 013.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 013.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
  • summer with the stutvoets 014.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 014.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 26
  • summer with the stutvoets 001.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 26

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some photos of a Rio "whistler" with the multifuel engine. Always thought one would make a good motorhome.
The old Field Marshal single cylinder diesel. Almost sounds as nice as a Commer 2stroke or Foden 2stroke when under load. Now I know why I am deaf :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• summer with the stutvoets 009.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 009.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24
  • summer with the stutvoets 010.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 010.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • summer with the stutvoets 008.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 008.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 17
  • kays favourites 064.jpg
    kays favourites 064.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
I once went to a scrap yard for a Bedford TK starter motor, fitted it and problem, the engine turned in reverse. Reason, the starter motor was off a Commer TS3. It was soon changed. I used to travel many many miles in a Guy Otter with a 4LW Gardner, 39mph with the wind behind you. Heater, demister, in your dreams.

Hi . The reason the starter turned the engine backwards - The started on a TS3 was mounted on the gearbox side of the fly wheel and had to turn clockwise as aposed to anticlockwise when mounted on the engine side of the flywheel.
PK

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
vitage cars lorries bikes etc

The same scrap yard sold me a Turner Clarke gearbox for the TK Bedford, they didn't tell me that it had come off a coach, not that I complained, it must have been the fastest HGV on the road and very easy on the fuel. My favourite gearbox was the Eaton Twin Split fitted to a Roadtrain.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
many years ago there used to be a Commercial Vehicle show held every year at Kelvin Hall in Glasgow, I remember seeing all the Volvo, Scania and Mercs with their sleeper cabs for the first time. Along side them was the British day cab offerings which looked out of date like the "A" series ERF. Harold Woods had a fleet of them. Memories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back