reversing camera 'rear view mirror' (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Has anyone out there got a 'rear view mirror' type display instead of a the usual separate monitor or media display?
If so, can you advise about the positives and negatives..... my vehicle is a Swift Bolero 600ek yes, I know this model come's fitted with a reversing camera system as standard (Blaupunkt Radio reversing camera/sat nav)...but the system is in my opinion awful, I dont want the rear view camera as a reversing camera as my bikes and gull wing rear bar/Tow box block the view but I would like to see what's behind me, for instance, a motorcycle that my side mirror's cant see...anybody???:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suppose it depends on whether you actually have a view in the mirror, in which case you may want to keep it.
Neither my present van, or the one before, had a rear window so the rear view mirror was redundant, and actually the current van doesn't even have one.
A monitor where the mirror was, is in a natural position, where you'd expect to see a rear view so if it fits (take care with a drop down bed) it's probably a good idea.:thumb:

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I suppose it depends on whether you actually have a view in the mirror, in which case you may want to keep it.
Neither my present van, or the one before, had a rear window so the rear view mirror was redundant, and actually the current van doesn't even have one.
A monitor where the mirror was, is in a natural position, where you'd expect to see a rear view so if it fits (take care with a drop down bed) it's probably a good idea.:thumb:

thanks, perhaps you misread:
....... as a reversing camera as my bikes and gull wing rear bar/Tow box block the view but I would like to see what's behind me, for instance, a motorcycle that my side mirror's cant see...anybody???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I had similar problem with my Autocruise Starfire Basically same model as yours end kithen,as back box obscures high level reversing camera, I got another camera from Sargent and had it fixed along side the number plate ,it gives me a good view of whats behind. I checked with Sargent about the existing wiring and they said there is a connection somewhere near the electric step. So I / dealer got the 6 pin din cable from Swift to connect the new camera, leaving the existing cable to the upper camera in place also the upper camera. So at a later date I could revert back if I got rid of the back box/ bike rack.
Terry:sin::sin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thats well convenient however there is no provision for a electric step system on the Bolero 'John Cross' confirmed that the plastic moulded step well is not strong enough to support a installation of a electric step .. but I'm sure I could build a Marine Ply box section to replace the plastic mould step well and then fit a electric step...sorry I'm diversing, still don't know if there is power there as you describe

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi
Have you joined

Link Removed

You should get help on there

I have the rear view mirror display attachment and the original camera pointing down, I also have another camera facing the rear to do as you say. Swift on above site should be able to help you :thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Thats well convenient however there is no provision for a electric step system on the Bolero 'John Cross' confirmed that the plastic moulded step well is not strong enough to support a installation of a electric step .. but I'm sure I could build a Marine Ply box section to replace the plastic mould step well and then fit a electric step...sorry I'm diversing, still don't know if there is power there as you describe

Hi Mentaliss, slight misunderstanding.
No! the camera cable is completely seperate, I only mentioned the step as thats where the join in the cable is near to fit the extra cable for new camera.
I have actually a mirror monitor which was original fitment , but I would ask Swift if your existing camera has a similar break/connection near the rear of the van which you could connect an extra camera in place of your existing camera in a position of your choice either on the van back wall or the bike rack this would then save you buying and remounting your monitor in the cab.
Terry:sin:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks, perhaps you misread:
....... as a reversing camera as my bikes and gull wing rear bar/Tow box block the view but I would like to see what's behind me, for instance, a motorcycle that my side mirror's cant see...anybody???

Fit a high level camera......only thing to stop a good rear view would be to tow a caravan :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most 'reversing cameras' are not really suitable for use as a replacement mirror as the view they give is far too wide angle

From a great deal of experiment I have found the ideal focal length for a camera that will give you a very similar view to the human eye and a standard rear view mirror is 16mm ( most 'reversing' cameras are about 6 to 8mm )

I use a water proof surveillance camera mounted high up on the back of the van.., gives a great view :thumb:
It was £60 from fleabay

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hello there I have one of these fitted that I mainly use as a means of seeing what is behind me , I didn't connect up to the reverse gear switch instead wired it to a switch on the dash so it can be on all the time I want it. it is pretty good quality wired system and I paid around £170 with the camera etc. It is handy to have but sometimes it can be distracting.
Broken Link Removed

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi, I have one of these fitted and is a brilliant bit of kit. Although it's primary use is as reversing camera, I like to keep it on permanantly when driving and use it as rear view mirror. Any extra eyes behind me always useful.
My particular model also has a microphone which is invaluable when being directed for reversing/parking even if I do hear the names I am being called.
:winky:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Worked fine on my Autocruise
view%207-XL.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Is it legal to view a monitor or camera while driving, i suppose a sat nav is classed as one. I know you can't view a monitor while driving so just wondered if this was a monitor/tv

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a £25 china eBay special . No it isn't wireless. I have a spare unused if anyone wants to collect it for same price

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, I have one of these fitted and is a brilliant bit of kit. Although it's primary use is as reversing camera, I like to keep it on permanantly when driving and use it as rear view mirror. Any extra eyes behind me always useful.
My particular model also has a microphone which is invaluable when being directed for reversing/parking even if I do hear the names I am being called.
:winky:

One of ours also had a speaker at the rear-and all and sundry could hear the comments I was making at the instructions I was getting when being directed by someone who stood where I couldn't see them :Doh:

Mike.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I like to keep camera 'on' all the time-but we have had problems with cameras being too wide angle,showing too much sky,and adjusting the image automatically so that they are very dark on a bright day.
Does a 16mm camera help with that problem ?

Mike.

ShaunAlex

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Worked fine on my Autocruise
view%207-XL.jpg
This is the model that I would like to get fitted with a dual camera for both reversing and viewing - can anyone recommend someone to fit this for me across Cheshire/Merseyside? many thanks..

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got this kit, a wired one:-

BROKEN LINK

Clip-over mirror monitor works very well indeed. It actually works well as a mirror when it's off - I have through vision in my van, hence why only having a single camera looking down, I don't really need a rear view one.

Mine is linked to the reversing light so it comes on automatically when I go into reverse, but there is a button to turn it on manually on the mirror as well, which is useful - I use it very time I come out of my drive, so I know when the back end of the van is clear of my gatepost and I can start to turn - depending on how the neighbours have parked it's very tight getting in and out of my driveway!

The only downside of the monitor is it's very slightly wider than the gap between the sun visors, so they clonk it slightly when I lower them - this on an old shape Ducato, X244.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I fitted one, hardwired, the only niggle I have is the Green ,amber, red lines on the picture, but you soon get over it.

Wide angle Camera(I can see all 3 lanes on the M/Way) and Monitor wiring etc £98

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I bought two cameras from . one at the top of the M/H and one attached to the tow bar connected by wire to a split screen so I can see both simultaneously. Power is by a switch under the dash board so I can turn them on of off when I like, not connected to reverse gear.

It took a bit of work to find a way through the M/H for top camera but study cupboards, etc and I'm sure you can fine a way.
I find them useful to see what's behind me whilst travelling and keep a eye on the Easylifter wheels in case of a puncture.
I removed the rear-view mirror as view out back was blocked by bike rack, and made a metal bracket using holes from mirror.
Hope this helps

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most 'reversing cameras' are not really suitable for use as a replacement mirror as the view they give is far too wide angle

From a great deal of experiment I have found the ideal focal length for a camera that will give you a very similar view to the human eye and a standard rear view mirror is 16mm ( most 'reversing' cameras are about 6 to 8mm )

I use a water proof surveillance camera mounted high up on the back of the van.., gives a great view :thumb:
It was £60 from fleabay

Similarly I use one of these:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Take care if choosing a mirror-fitting monitor: they come in two resolutions and the higher of the two is much better.

Example hi-res 622 x 586

Example lo-res 480 x 234

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Similarly I use one of these:

No Tony, far too wide angle mate.. you need at least an 8mm focal length unit.
I do not both with hd either..Far too expesive to get a monitor to do them justice for what is really only a replacement for a mirror..
I use similar to this thing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No Tony, far too wide angle mate.. you need at least an 8mm focal length unit.
I do not both with hd either..Far too expesive to get a monitor to do them justice for what is really only a replacement for a mirror..
I use similar to this thing.
I agree an HD camera isn't relevant but I chose the camera more on size & appearance - especially given the price. I haven't found the viewing angle to be a significant disadvantage: in fact the extra vertical angle means I can see within a couple of feet of the rear of the van and have a "rear view mirror" view of the road. The extra horizontal angle doesn't matter. I use this monitor although on the last van I used the one I suggested in my other post.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
What does one do if one wants a rear-view-mirror monitor/dashcam but there's no mirror at all, just a blck blob on the windscreen where it would go?
I.e: on a new Peugeot Boxer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back