Caravan Club Ban On-site supermarket deliveries. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Caravan Club released a statement yesterday (28 January) reiterating that they will not be allowing supermarket delivery trucks on to their sites.

Their main reason for this is that it keeps vehicles to a minimum.

Delivery vans can be a health and safety risk, as well as obstruct others attempting to navigate caravan parks and this is something they are keen to avoid happening.

Another important reason is that the Club had reports of deliveries arriving before guests, causing delays for other people - even if you arrange for your order to arrive at a time when you think you will have arrived, traffic and other difficulties can get in the way.

This can also be a problem when delivery vehicles arrive when reception is closed and have no idea as to where they should take the food - causing delays and blocking the road for others on the site.

Details of nearby food shops are available on-site and will ensure that eager caravanners can still keep their tourers stocked up.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
rules is rules

Have to say no-one has more rules than the Caravan club but this one is ok makes sense to us.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We don't get our shopping delivered at home, so we wouldn't dream of having it delivered to a site.
What happens if you break down and don't make it, or simply have a change of mind and stop off somewhere else ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Does this mean they won't accept my Fortnum and Masons hamper delivery either ?? :winky:

Or even Waitrose (if I really have to) :whatthe:

:Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I wonder if that's why they no longer have the "rolls and papers" woman coming on the site every morning at Craigie Gardens (Ayr) any more. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Have to say no-one has more rules than the Caravan club but this one is ok makes sense to us.:thumb:

Hi Rob n Chris strangely the CC has very few rules:whatthe: as I found out having had a big row with a CC warden which I tried to continue with head office. It's the wardens that make things up on the spot and quote it as "rules":Doh:

Having admitted that the rules that their warden was trying to enforce didn't exist they wouldn't answer whether their wardens was a "liar" or "badly trained"

It had to be one or the other :roflmto:

Good idea to ban off site deliveries though :thumb:

Eddie

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Totally agree that it can be a problem arranging an exact time. Traffic moving on sites is bad enough with the caravanners back and forward all the time in there 4x4's collecting newspapers and going to the toilet block. No doubt if the CC were receiving some kind of financial reward they would find a way to accept these deliveries in a safe manner.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Rob n Chris strangely the CC has very few rules:whatthe: as I found out having had a big row with a CC warden which I tried to continue with head office. It's the wardens that make things up on the spot and quote it as "rules":Doh:

Having admitted that the rules that their warden was trying to enforce didn't exist they wouldn't answer whether their wardens was a "liar" or "badly trained"

Hi Eddie,
Take on board what you say though would add that it doesn`t really matter then, not for the member being confronted by the iconic little hitler (that for some reason are still in charge of some sites) being dressed down or have a a "rule" quoted chapter and verse.
Thing is the warden is the Caravan Clubs representative, as you found out when you`re talking to the warden you`re essentially talking to the Caravan Club.

Some wardens are just the nicest people whilst others are just not.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Hi Eddie,
Take on board what you say though would add that it doesn`t really matter then, not for the member being confronted by the iconic little hitler (that for some reason are still in charge of some sites) being dressed down or have a a "rule" quoted chapter and verse.
Thing is the warden is the Caravan Clubs representative, as you found out when you`re talking to the warden you`re essentially talking to the Caravan Club.

Some wardens are just the nicest people whilst others are just not.

Hi Totally agree, most CC wardens are great, helpful and accomodating. I have take the trouble to put the hand book (with the CC rules) in the van so the next time I am told to turn around or stand on one leg, I'll simply hand the book over and ask them to show me the appropriate rule to save any more arguements :roflmto:

Eddie

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Totally agree that it can be a problem arranging an exact time. Traffic moving on sites is bad enough [HI]with the caravanners back and forward all the time in there 4x4's collecting newspapers and going to the toilet block.[/HI] No doubt if the CC were receiving some kind of financial reward they would find a way to accept these deliveries in a safe manner.

absolutely.. motorhomers would never do that .. ban caravans :thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you can't be arzed to stop off and buy your supplies, you should,nt be camping in the frst place:RollEyes:,......what next, eastern europeans on sites running around getting your water and emptying your waste, cleaning your units and walking your dogs? Perhaps we ought to insist on twin pitches, one for the servants quarters.....although, to be fair,.....she normally prefers the overcab bed.:roflmto:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well I'm glad they have I thought we all went away to get away from all that crap what's wrong with shopping local to where you are.nice markets local butchers little corner shops.thats my rant over

I agree, ok we have to use supermarkets sometimes if only for their easier access but the more local shopping we do the more it may encourage support for motorhome parking in or near a town. Might help if we all wear a badge saying I drive a motorhome and need somewhere to park in order to spend money in your shop, (but it'd have to be a big badge). :ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Well I'm glad they have I thought we all went away to get away from all that crap what's wrong with shopping local to where you are.nice markets local butchers little corner shops.thats my rant over

ok over in the rest of europe but most of these facilities have been put out of business due to lack of use caused by the big Tesco's , Asda's and other big supermarket chains.

the little community shops don't exist in 90% of the uk.

but i think the main problem with the delivery to site would be caused by the caravan owners that have their vans sited in storage at the CC sites or on seasonal pitches ordering food in because their 4X4's are full of the crap they don't leave in the van.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Tesco

Well I've only been motorhoming 6 or7 yrs and have never had a problem
Of buying local . I take your point seasonal pitches turning up in there cars
But tesco or asda delivering to the sites for me a big no no.if we don't support local shops and pubs the uk will go in decline as I see it.tude

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Been there, done that:rolleyes: . But that was in my Folding Camper Days (still in them as yet to sell). No way of cooling fridge rapidly and now were to stow shopping with all the gear we had to take with us plus two dogs. With the New unit being stored away from home, we thought about doing the same when the fridge and freezer had colled down after a run or the following day.
With this sort of reaction...Maybe a rethink is needed.:(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We haven't done it but have been tempted. We've camped at many sites where local facilities are poor and packing up the van and dragging the family out to do a 20 mile round trip to stock up is not my idea of a good use of a holiday.

Fortunately for the CC, they won't have to worry about me doing it on their sites - I'm not planning on using one of theirs for a long, long time.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In our Tesco there is a click and collect bay, seems you order online and roll up in the carpark and they bring your order out to you :eek:bone idle or what, your there already why accept short dated, not the best products. :mad:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In our Tesco there is a click and collect bay, seems you order online and roll up in the carpark and they bring your order out to you :eek:bone idle or what, your there already why accept short dated, not the best products. :mad:
It saves you a fortune in not walking round picking up stuff you don't want;)(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Not everyone has the time to go shopping when it suits them. I would rather click my requirements from home / during my lunch break and collect the items on my way back from work etc. than have to spend an hour after work doing the shopping run with loads of other people, get home late, cook for hungry kids and do the other chores of life. Bone idleness is not the reason for some clicking and collecting.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We make a point of trying to buy locally, especially when we are in the more remote parts of the country. My idea is to buy something this trip and there will be a better chance the shop is still there next time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We make a point of trying to buy locally, especially when we are in the more remote parts of the country. My idea is to buy something this trip and there will be a better chance the shop is still there next time.
One of the great things about visiting different places is discovering different local foods. Even the way bread is baked can be interesting. In Blackpool on Saturday we bought some Blackpool Burners, white bread buns that have been burned on top. Very nice as well and it made a nice change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back