Living & using a motorhome over 3.5t in France? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We are about to register a 4.6t Hymer in France, lots of information here of others registering MH's up to 3.5t but haven't found the extra info neeeded for heavier ones.

Looking for information on insurance (if that differs), road tax (if that applies), and what is it like using an HGV testing center.

I would apprecite it if someone has any info, thank you.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are about to register a 4.6t Hymer in France, lots of information here of others registering MH's up to 3.5t but haven't found the extra info neeeded for heavier ones.

Looking for information on insurance (if that differs), road tax (if that applies), and what is it like using an HGV testing center.

I would apprecite it if someone has any info, thank you.

Not a lot I can tell you veevee.....the motorhome we have now is over 3.5 from new....we just passed the information on to our insurance company and paid whatever the extra was required.....
No road tax.....
We have had the first control technique done…..
You need to book in at a heavy goods testing station for lorries .
The control technique.. for heavy goods.... is 100 euros...it must be tested from the first year of registration and every year after....(not like under 3.500 tested after 4 from new and every two years)....the test station that we booked into was two long inspection pit/tunnels…the length of about three articulated lorries… as we drove along the top the examiner was underneath or in front of the motorhome checking and instructing us what to do at various points...pressure pads, rolling road, lights and other things .....he gave me a walkie talkie at the start so he could give instructions from below....then back into the office where all the info had been relayed……

Our test station.... would NOT take debit cards ....... would NOT take cash.......only cheques

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks Mel

The test sounds just like using the UK Ministry testing stations for over 3.5t and HGV's.
In Chelmsford they use squawking loudspeakers a bit like 1960's British Rail announcements, you wonder what language they are speaking if any at all.

My French isn't brilliant so that should be fun. Do you know what the procedure is if you fail?

Is it ok to ask what sort of insurance premium you are paying, is it similar to UK prices?

Good information, thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back