Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We did a trip from Sweden past Amsterdam several years ago.

We were making our way home from Are (the A has a little o on top) and we crossed the bridge/tunnel from Malmo to Copenhagen and had a look at some of southern Denmark. We took the ferry from Rodbyhavn (the o has a diagonal line through it), which is on the south coast of Sjaelland (the a and the e are joined) in Lolland, to Puttgarden in Germany.
From there we took a fairly scenic route avoiding Hamburg and Bremen by taking smaller roads north of these two, into Holland via Groningen across the Afsluitdijk and down to the Hook of Holland - passing quite close to Amsterdam. No reason why you couldn't do the same route in reverse, if you fancied it.
Malmo to Stockholm is about 380 miles but a night stop by Lake Vattern (which is about 80 miles long) should make a pleasant break.

John

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Sweden

We are going to Sweden in April/May.
We have booked the ferry from Hull to Zeebrouge then we will drive through Germany and get the ferry from Travenmunde to Sweden.
We did this route a couple of years ago and found it very easy.
If you look on the Finnlines website you can get discounts on ferry fares if you have the European Camping Card.
We used Finnlines last year when sailing to Helsinki they were not the cheapest but they were the best ferry company we have sailed with, good cabins and you can hook up to electric FREE on your crossing.
If you need any more details send us a pm and I will dig out our diaries.

Enjoy your trip
Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hook of Holland to Stockholm

Has anyone driven from Amsterdam to Stockholm,if so any advice please.

Hi, this is my 1st post so hope it looks OK when i hit 'submit'
I'm going Hook of Holland (from Harwich) to Stockholm in July, i've done it before in a car but not a motorhome. Route i prefer is one with no overnights on ferries .... keeps costs down. So I drive up to Puttengarden and then take the roll on/rolloff ferry into Denmark (just a 1 - 2 hour crossing) & then in just a few more hours and you can be on the Bridge over to Malmo (85 euro's !! single crossing !)
After Stockholm i will be taking a day crossing to Turku Finland .... this is a fabulous day time crossing .....

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
.... then in just a few more hours and you can be on the Bridge over to Malmo (85 euro's !! single crossing !)

And if your motorhome is over 6 metres long, and has a MAM of more than 3.5 tonnes, it is €152 each way! At least that makes the Storebælt bridge connecting eastern and western Denmark look reasonable at a mere €98 for the same sized motorhome.:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And if your motorhome is over 6 metres long, and has a MAM of more than 3.5 tonnes, it is €152 each way! At least that makes the Storebælt bridge connecting eastern and western Denmark look reasonable at a mere €98 for the same sized motorhome.:Eeek:

I hope you said "I want to cross it not buy it".

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I hope you said "I want to cross it not buy it".

We haven't been there yet; I was doing some research because we have a hankering to visit Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Then I saw the cost of using the bridges and decided I might have to go back to full-time work first!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Anyone know anything about the DFDS ferry from Tilbury to Gothenburg??
This would be be an expensive X-ing but would cut-out a lot of road miles/expensive bridges in Denmark--------We are looking at the best route to Norway
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are also planning a trip to North Norway this summer - we have been looking at the most economical route for us and we have found travelling from Dover/Dunkerque up to Rostock, Germany then take the ferry from Rostock to Trelleborg Sweden to be the best - travelling north through Sweden to Narvik, Norway, whichever route we take works out at roughly 2,000 kilometers so we can choose a different route north and south for a change of scenery. It's the cost of the two bridges in Denmark that puts the prices up for ferry from Harwick to Esbjerg, Denmark route (this is calculated at 20mpg for us).

We rang and got a quote for the ferry from Tilbury to Gothenborg - EXPENSIVE - but it is a 36 hour crossing, so that is out for us.

Nigel and Pamala

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi reading your topic on route to Narvik, there are several ways up to the north like you say,the 2 main route we use are E4 coast road and the inland väg 45, when traveling specially early morning and early evening be careful and aware of the Elg (Moose) and deer roaming the roads, as this is there times of movement, and in the middle & north there are more dense forest region's ,and when traveling around june you can enjoy the midnight sun, better the further north you are, so enjoy your travels,:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Have you looked at Color Line or Fjordline from Hirtshals north Jutland, I haven't checked them lately but the short route to Kristiansand or longer to Langlunde south of Oslo may be cheaper than the bridge crossings but probably no different from the Rostock crossing mentioned by Sundowners?

OP
OP
R

rusty4eyes

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks to everyone for lots of information received. We are now ploughing our way through it. Much appreciated.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thanks to everyone for lots of information received. We are now ploughing our way through it. Much appreciated.

You might find that a ferry from North of England would save you travelling from Scotland down to a channel Xing (Dover)--------------quite a mileage for you
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi reading your topic on route to Narvik, there are several ways up to the north like you say,the 2 main route we use are E4 coast road and the inland väg 45, when traveling specially early morning and early evening be careful and aware of the Elg (Moose) and deer roaming the roads, as this is there times of movement, and in the middle & north there are more dense forest region's ,and when traveling around june you can enjoy the midnight sun, better the further north you are, so enjoy your travels,:thumb:

Had experience of this when travelling in Alaska, also the kangaroos in Oz.
We've still got our bedroom windows on the camper blacked out to make it easier sleeping at night when the sun is shining. Looking forward to this trip.

Thanks for your information, much appreciated.

Nigel and Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back