Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Has anyone fitted a safe in their van ? if so what kind and where did you fit it ? i have a swift gazelle and was thinking of either the wardrobe or under one of the bench seat
thanks chris

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
under the seats bolted through the floor

dont go with a keypad type if you can avoid it, as they are far too easy to open with the emergency override key

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
Brought a safe at a hagnaps bring and buy and cls stuck it down in our secret location using some kind of wonder glue which he said will never be able to get the safe out from give him a pm and I'm sure he will tell you what he used

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you do go for the keypad type don't leave the emergency override key next to it it will make it harder to get into!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note if you can, bolt it through a chassi rail.This is not always possible so if you bolt through the floor make sure that you include a steel plate under the van through which your bolts pass.This should make it harder for any toe rag with a nail bar from pulling your bolts through the ply floor,which is easier than you think.(dont forget to put bolts on inside of safe not under van!
I'd be very weary about using adhesives of which there are many good ones,but again a good pull with a bar and the top layer of ply will strip off.
A safe is only really any good if fitted securely .

Vlad.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Brought a safe at a hagnaps bring and buy and cls stuck it down in our secret location using some kind of wonder glue which he said will never be able to get the safe out from give him a pm and I'm sure he will tell you what he used

the 'wonder' glue is probably a M7 Silicone adhesive and the only real way to break the adhesive seal is by way of a Stanley knife and hot air gun:roflmto:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Factory fitted under the bed bolted into the surrounding metalwork of the chassis. Keypad and key operation. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
under the seats bolted through the floor

dont go with a keypad type if you can avoid it, as they are far too easy to open with the emergency override key

But surely you don't leave the key lying around. I have a keypad one, but if I had one with a key surely that is easy to open with the key. I think I must be missing the point somewhere :Confused:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But surely you don't leave the key lying around. I have a keypad one, but if I had one with a key surely that is easy to open with the key. I think I must be missing the point somewhere :Confused:

theres no need to leave the key laying about. the thief will not care about damaging the lock, but there is a VERY easy way to open them. i dont want to say how on the forum, but a quick search of youtube will give you several videos showing how easy it is and what to use. the locks on the override are just too basic

on the other hand a decent safe with a proper lock and security key is safe from all bar a locksmith with special tools or a determined thief with metal cutting tools and substantially more time

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But surely you don't leave the key lying around. I have a keypad one

So do I and the emergency key is crap, an electric drill will sort it quickly.

Am I bothered, no. Thieves are frightened opportunists. Unless you/we leave the MH in some very isolated place for a long time they aren't up for drilling. They want IN - OUT with a handbag full of money, cameras, CCs, computers. All over in a minute.

A thinking man would have the safe on view and loads of money stored in a hidden compartment that he has constructed.

If the thief really believes you are rich, he'll take the whole vehicle and take it pieces at his leisure.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
someone once said on here fit a safe and put your underwear and socks in it.
there are loads of hiding places in a motorhome and some of them you will only find with the customs x-ray scanner at the docks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So do I and [HI]the emergency key is crap, an electric drill will sort it quickly.[/HI]

Am I bothered, no. Thieves are frightened opportunists. Unless you/we leave the MH in some very isolated place for a long time they aren't up for drilling. They want IN - OUT with a handbag full of money, cameras, CCs, computers. All over in a minute.

A thinking man would have the safe on view and loads of money stored in a hidden compartment that he has constructed.

If the thief really believes you are rich, he'll take the whole vehicle and take it pieces at his leisure.

Sorry Brian, but there are far quicker and easier ways to open them with next to nothing. drilling the lock is not required

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry Brian, but there are far quicker and easier ways to open them with next to nothing. drilling the lock is not required

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Just YouTubed.

Must do some testing tomorrow. At lease mine is bolted to the wall with the two holes and this may help, I'll have a go tomorrow.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are two things that can be done to foil most of these attempts.

Mount the safe upside down, this reinforces the weak spring on the solenoid by gravity and also makes it difficult to hit the top. A bent bit if metal to partially shroud the reset button will fix the other easy solution.
It can still be opened by the lock but that needs tools, and if they were going to do that then any small safe could fail.

My safe is mounted with the door upwards, I will try tomorrow to see if these ideas will work with it in that position.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yea gods. Despite the safe being bolted to the wall it took only two or three goes to slap it open :Eeek:

But not any more. I took the door off, opened it up and studied. Stronger spring is the obvious one but iffy on a failing battery. Damping is what is needed. DING ! Smear the solenoid with silicon grease. It snaps in a treat but takes a good second for spring return. No way can it be slapped open now. To be extra sure I adjusted the lock plate for minimal clearance so the solenoid needs to be fully home to release it.

It's still poor security but good enough for our needs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is a different shape, as I keep my laptop in it. I have a tablet but can't get on with the 'keyboard'.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
So i ask
Elaine dear lets get a safe for van why she asks ,so we can keep our money safe I say
Humph she says our money is very safe were it is out of your way
How much do we have I ask
Still no answer :cry:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
:Eeek: After going on you tube and typing in digital safe, I feel I need to add to my other post.The most important thing is not necessarily fitting your safe securely,it's buying the right safe in the first place!
As previously said its scary how easily the keypad ones can be opened,Infact I just watched a video of someone opening one with their hand ,a can of beer,a lighter and even a potatoe! The worrying thing is that ,true the opportunist thief carries no tools ,but thats because he probabally knows he doesn't have to.Most of these scrote's are more than familiar with you tube and I'm sure that as well as watching their mates lighting their own farts and shooting fireworks at each other,they see videos like this and word gets about.
The key lock ones are not that more expensive and the better option,its certainly made me think.

I've got a digital one going cheap if anyone's interested im upgrading mine !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad the Enlightened.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can you still buy those fake baked bean tins ? (safes):Blush:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Under the fixed bed, bolted to the chassis, I believe. It is a key pad type and the emergency key is well hidden, well away from the safe.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Find a small floor level cupboard and get a small steel cashbox, you know the one with the opening lid and key on the top. Drill 4 holes in the bottom and bolt it through the floor with a square of alloy checkerplate underneath. Have used this system all my life in trucks and it works. After one of my trucks was going to the scrapyard I tried to get the cashbox out with force. With a workshop full of tools and all the time in the world it could not be done. Cheap and effective :thumb:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Find the safe competition.

How about a find the safe challenge?
Say 2 minutes to find a safe in a Funsters van.

Not opening just finding.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Find the safe competition.

I'll give a prize!

Last edited:

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
safes

Hi we keep our money in the wifes knickers nobody is going to go there HA HA HA:ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have been trying for years to get into Elaine's dosh pile but no luck yet
But our 3 year old grand daughter can open it in a flash

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun