Levels of service from repairers? (1 Viewer)

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Interested to hear your thoughts on what level of service to expect from a service company supporting MH heaters?

Like many here, I generally try to resolve most issues with my MH myself but when it came to my Eberspacher heater failing I decided to ask advice and look to the professionals.
I took my MH in to my nearest main dealer. Worrying it might be the worst (ECU gone) I set my self a limit of £200 for the repair. The kind engineer explained as he was going along what he was doing, so when he put my heater on the test bench and tried a new ECU in it and it still didn't work I was slightly relieved as generally any other fault should be cheaper. Anyway after 45 minutes doing other tests the lad gave up and said best to leave the unit with him and he'll ask his colleague later. Bit of a pain as 2 hours drive there and back but rather than waste time I left. 2 days later his colleague rang and said the ECU was dead and £300 + vat to replace. I asked him why the first engineer had not found the ECU fault as this was the first thing he tried but he told me you have to put the ECU in then take it out then put it back in again. I phoned Eberspacher UK and they said this is not true, should work 1st time. I informed the company I could not justify the £360 bill and would be back to pick up the broken heater. When I did I had a £45 bill for 45 minutes work doing the diagnostics - so £60 an hour. On questioning the 2nd engineer on why the 1st chap had not diagnosed the ECU fault straight away he half eluded to the fact the chap had not know how to start up the heater on the test bed. So my 45 minute labour could have been 15 minutes labour? - heh-hoh I concluded , what can you do!

After a day or 2 wondering what to do, I found an Eberspacher dealer who imports directly from Germany, saving many £££'s. So for £225 I bought a new ECU and a service kit and a new silencer - happy days - so I thought.

This weekend I put the MH on the ramps to get under the van to install the repaired heater - only to find the diesel pump wires had been cut when the engineer removed my heater and the main connector terminal had been left open to the elements and the diesel pipe was just left hanging - no plug or anything in the end! This was after he told me he would secure everything under the MH. I'm worried road dirt may have got in the diesel line. The terminals on the connector plug have gone that greeny grey corrosive colour. Why the cables were cut I've no idea, there is a clip-connector on the diesel pump to easy clip off.

My concern now is that although the importer offered a 12 month warranty with the new ECU, he said any shorts or wiring faults would negate this. So now what should I do, connect up connector, re-wire pump and hope no dirt in fuel line and hope for the best?

I've called the company and asked to speak to senior engineer but was told he was on the phone but he would call me back - guess what - no call.

Am I expecting too much? For £45 should you get the correct answer and a bit of care?

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its worth copying what you have written here and turning it to a letter to the boss of the company. Be specific, tell him exactly what you think would be a satisfactory outcome. (Your money back?) No harm in letting them know that unless they resolve your complaint to your satisfaction you will be doing all you can to let people know about the poor service you received from them.

Or you could save yourself the time and stress, have a beer and forget about it, it's only money:Smile:

Me? I'd get my money back then have a beer::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
for that money I would of replaced the whole unit with a reconditioned one

Link Removed

that would give it a guarantee at least and you would have the original for spare parts or to get refurbished later

forgot to say that £60 an hour inc VAT is about right for an engineer/mechanic round here

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back