Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
This van is the same as ours and I never thought it would have such little value.

Link Removed

:cry:

Ivy

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Ppphew thanks Dave. That's a relief, not that it makes much difference. What happens with these scams then? Is it intended that people go and see the van, buy it, transfer the money and then there is no van?

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The van is in Scotland and the owner in Grimsby, SMELLS FISHY TO ME. BUSBY.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43357

Norwich Evening News 17 Dec 2007 Reporter David Bale

Grandfather's warning for eBay users

A Norfolk grandfather has issued a stark warning to users of a popular internet trading site 10 months after parting with £8,000 for a motor home he has never received.

Mike Young, a grandfather-of-four sent a money order to a bank account in Amsterdam in response to an advertisement for a motor home on eBay.
But he never received it and 10 months later he's still no closer to getting his money back despite a stream of emails between the police here and in Holland.
It comes a week after shoppers using eBay this Christmas were urged to protect themselves after it was revealed scammers tricked people in the county out of £50,000 in the past year.

Norfolk police received 42 complaints from buyers and sellers left out of pocket by fraudsters in the 12 months to October 2007.
Mr Young, 60, from Drayton Wood Road, Hellesdon, said: "I was scammed and I was silly. I was going to buy the motor home and then sell it on, as I'm a salesman.

"It was supposed to be shipped over with eBay's motors warranty and the sale was to go through eBay motors UK transactions.
"I received photos of the inside and out of the vehicle and the logbook and the sale went through on February 6.

"But I got suspicious and through police I found out the vehicle was here in this country and the owners had never advertised it for sale.
"I spoke to Interpol liaison officers at Norwich police station and they contacted Amsterdam police, who in August confirmed the account I sent the money to was still open and that they knew about that particular account holder, but still they could nothing about it.

"I'm now waiting for CID to interview me and I've got a whole dossier to send to Norwich North MP Ian Gibson to see if he can help.
"I'm not writing it off and lying down. If nothing else comes of this then maybe someone will be warned next time they go to spend a lot of money on eBay."

A Norfolk Constabulary spokesman confirmed it received a report of a suspected case of fraud from Mr Young and said it had made various enquires.
But added: "These types of allegations do provide a number of challenges to investigating officers as many offences originate from overseas.

"We would urge consumers to always use a secure computer, follow the security advice given by the site and to avoid completely the use of money transfers or direct banking transactions to pay for goods."

Norfolk Trading Standards is advising people to use a credit card as this offers additional protection through the credit card company, if things go wrong.
Bosses at eBay said the firm was working hard to protect consumers from fraud and has placed advice on the site.

A statement said: "The level of transparency on eBay is far greater than anywhere on the high street and this year we have so far helped to secure over 200 arrests."

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I cannot believe any one could be so stupid.

It might be only 0.00000001% of the population but if they send out enough scams they'll find that 1.

Now since you are on, I was about to PM you about you uncle Amadeus who died last year in Nigeria leaving you £1000000000000000000 and it just needs some paperwork to be completed before I can send you this money..............

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
hilldweller;. Now since you are on said:
Brian, you are so kind that I have decided that you can fill your own details in the paperwork .... I am giving YOU my uncle's legacy. Thank you so much. Because of my reciprocated kindness I do, of course, expect a few free meals out with you and Dinah at Chester, top up of fuel in my van, clothing vouchers for TK Max. You are such a good man I know you will not object to this. Joy :Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just cast your mind back to this forum and the frenzy of getting cheap Solar Panels on e-bay.

Yep, in a word GREED, it always gets them.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I think that a lot of the mh scams are aimed at people who don't know the true value of MH's. You see the prices on the forecourts and most of us know that the prices are a lot higher because of warranties etc. but some can't afford that bit extra and look to buy privately.

It's easy to look back once you've bought a mh, and become part of the mh community - scams stick out a mile. But if you have limited funds, want to get into motorhoming, your heart does tend to over-rule your common sense - not from a point of greed, but trying to get the best you can for the limited amount of money you have to spend.

And there are a lot of us, who are not in a position to purchase a nearly new van, it makes it tricky - you're faced with two vehicles, one nearly ten years younger than the other, same price. You check out as much as you can if the vehicle is stolen, hp etc. etc. Obviously you are going to want to go with the newer van (bearing in mind my first sentence) - yup, easily done.

Just my personal opinion mind - as a new motorhome owner with limited funds! :hardhat:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I bought mine 18 months ago I visited the seller twice, researched him and his business on the net, he told me unasked that he had Black Horse finance on it and how much, what he did not know was that I already knew that and how much via a HPI check and other checks I made. I spoke to the Finance company and paid them direct with the balance to the seller.
It never ceases to amaze me that mugs will pay big ticket money without taking all the precautions, as they say if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Please dont laugh too much at me. I'll admit to being embarrassed by all these scam threads, cos reading the ads, I look at them and don't get what the scam is, or how to spot them so quickly. I'm an intelligent woman but I'm obviously missing something..... well obvious. :Sad::Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dead easy, if it is half price or less, it is a scam, if it was genuine every dealer and his dog would be in the queue to buy it.

Email only and no ebay messages or pre aproved bidders only also a scam

I cannot understand how Ebay cannot filter these scam listings before they get listed. Should be easy enough, there are enough parameters to check genuine sellers listings.

Peter

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Dead easy, if it is half price or less, it is a scam, if it was genuine every dealer and his dog would be in the queue to buy it.

Email only and no ebay messages or pre aproved bidders only also a scam

I cannot understand how Ebay cannot filter these scam listings before they get listed. Should be easy enough, there are enough parameters to check genuine sellers listings.

Peter

Easier said than done, yes its easy to see the obvious, but the fraudster will change the profile and then your will need a new profile to identify the scam.. They could do this by buying 100 at £x and selling them for £X minus a loss to get a history, job done.

An ex mate of mine is Head of Fraud for PayPal and he has a lot of stuff to get through..

Also would punters accept a weeks delay whilst they check out the seller?

Moving sands moving sands..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back