Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
we are looking at doing two weeks touring in june ,we are hoping to end up in germany,we are looking at doing trier,up the mosel valley to koblenz ,stay there for 4/5 days then back to leper,from there to bruges for a couple of nights then back to calais.
i have been to all these places but many years ago when i was a coach driver but have never been over the water with a motorhome,
does this trip sound ok to all the many people on here who has been before ????
hope all the experance tourers will help me out ,ie: where to go and where to stay.
many thanks chris and andrea

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The hike from Calais to Trier is something like 300 miles - a lot for one leg. If it were my trip I would look to stop at, say, Maubeuge, en route (about 130 miles) leaving 170 miles to Trier.
There is a reasonable campsite at Maubeuge
(http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camp_municipal_du_clair_de_lune.htm)
but there is an Aire at Bavay about 10 miles west
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Don't know anything about Trier - we plan a visit there in June as well (but not in MH). From there to Koblenz is about 90 miles by the short route, so plenty of time to do the scenic route along the river - should be lovely.

The trip to Bruges is in the order of 250 miles (a bit far for my taste) and I would probably stop at Aachen, just under 100 miles, and stay at the Stelplatz there and get the bus into town. It's a very pretty place which didn't get enough of our attention last year - we plan to remedy that sometime. The Stelplatz is excellent, a bit pricey but fully serviced.

Camping Memling, outside Bruges
is about a ten minute walk to a supermarket and less than 10 minutes to the bus stop which will get you into the city. The camping is recommended.

Have a terrific time.

John

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
stellplatzes

hi you will have no trouble finding somewhere to stay you need to buy the reisemobil bord atlas book this lists all the stellplatze sites along the river nearly every small town has these and they are both sides of the river also trier has a stellplatze also. these stellplatzes are the same as the French aires we have done this trip several times and also along the rhine. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back