Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I am not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, if not sorry! On Monday I take possession of my new to me Autotrail.....and lucky me it is an automatic which suits as I have a messed up left knee, which although I can use it to drive, it gets a tad painful at times. My question is, and not wanting to get into the A frame v trailer debate, is it possible in these days of advanced techiness to use an automatic vehicle as a toad? I know it used not to be possible to tow such a vehicle in the dim and distant, but have things changed?

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
As far as I'm aware you should not tow an automatic vehicle, but it should be alright to use an auto vehcle to tow another one with.

::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Some of the semi auto ( manual box shifted electronically)

Can be towed in neutral some of the smart cars and fiat pandas

But make sure before purchase :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have an automatic motorhome and an automatic car. Both handbooks say if towing, do not exceed a maximum milage and speed: from memory, it's about 50 miles and 30 mph I think - not going out to look tonight. If needing to do more, they say uncouple the driveshafts or put it on a flatbed trailer.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its fair to say all autos can be towed using the 30/50 mile max distance @30mph rules
But that is of no use as a toad:RollEyes:
as suggested by Toffo there are a few out there that can do the job
Semi autos that use electronics are really manual gearboxes with solenoids doing the clutch work so should be ok to tow as alway do your homework first not last as a few do and
If brand new check out warranty implication of
A. Fitting any frames
B. Towing
Geo

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Some Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commanders can be towed with no issues at all.

If I remember correctly it depends if they have the quadra-trak gearboxes...

We towed a Jeep commander for many many miles and I can guarantee that this was okay because there was even a page in the manual telling you how to tow it behind a motorhome...

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Another method would be to put the drive wheels of the toad on a towable dollytrolly to tow. If the toad is rear wheel drive you would have to lock the steering.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Towing MMT

We have a Toyota Aygo MMT (auto/tiptronic) which we have toad many thousands of miles behind our Rv.
The gearbox is the same as the 5 speed manual but instead of foot clutch it has a actuator to do this. The gearbox has a proper neutral position so it is one of the few which can be toad on four wheels.

We have had no problems and use the lightweight electronic A-Frame.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Another method would be to put the drive wheels of the toad on a towable dollytrolly to tow. If the toad is rear wheel drive you would have to lock the steering.

This type of "dolly" can ONLY BE USED FOR RECOVERING DISABLED VEHICLES, not as a means of towing another car.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back