Luddite time again !! (Portugal ) (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I know there is a post somewhere about tolls in Portugal, what is the latest on the A22 being a toll road and how do you pay ????:Eeek:

Perhaps one wiser than I can point me in the right direction !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I know there is a post somewhere about tolls in Portugal, what is the latest on the A22 being a toll road and how do you pay ????:Eeek:

Perhaps one wiser than I can point me in the right direction !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Pay by card in machine at the start of motorway, you only have to do it once and then if you travel on motorway again during the following month it automatice charges your card, or you can pay each time at the service station.

Deleted User
The machine at the start of the motorway is very simple and works. If you are in Portugal longer than a month or enter via a different point it is not so simple, I have not tried to pay at a motorway service area but no matter what it says in the leaflets the Post Offices do not want to know. I just ignore it now and will wait and see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The machine at the start of the motorway is very simple and works. If you are in[HI] Portugal longer than a month [/HI]or enter via a different point it is not so simple, I have not tried to pay at a motorway service area but no matter what it says in the leaflets the Post Offices do not want to know. I just ignore it now and will wait and see.

Looking at a stay of 2 months !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The machine at the start of the motorway is very simple and works. If you are in Portugal longer than a month or enter via a different point it is not so simple, I have not tried to pay at a motorway service area but no matter what it says in the leaflets the Post Offices do not want to know. I just ignore it now and will wait and see.

I have paid at a post office without any trouble at all; I have paid at the start of the motorway, and at the service stations.

I cannot agree with the “I just ignore it now and will wait and see” way of looking at it. If you are prepared to travel in your MH that has cost something between £2,000 and £80,000 and go into a country that has certain rules/laws and regulations, then you should do your level best to stick to them, or just don’t enter.This attitude of, well it’s too difficult, I don’t know how to do it, it will save me some money, it doesn’t matter, means that it is OK for everybody else to pay and because lots of people just ignore it, the people that do pay may well have to pay more, (British car insurers have to pay about £30/50 per year because of people that don’t pay for insurance and Havre an accident) just don’t wash with me. Cannot afford it? Cannot be bothered, stay away.All the above of course is just my opinion :Smile::hardhat:

Oh and if you are staying for longer than a month, after 28 days, just stick you card in again,.

Deleted User
I have paid at a post office without any trouble at all; I have paid at the start of the motorway, and at the service stations.

I cannot agree with the “I just ignore it now and will wait and see” way of looking at it. If you are prepared to travel in your MH that has cost something between £2,000 and £80,000 and go into a country that has certain rules/laws and regulations, then you should do your level best to stick to them, or just don’t enter.This attitude of, well it’s too difficult, I don’t know how to do it, it will save me some money, it doesn’t matter, means that it is OK for everybody else to pay and because lots of people just ignore it, the people that do pay may well have to pay more, (British car insurers have to pay about £30/50 per year because of people that don’t pay for insurance and Havre an accident) just don’t wash with me. Cannot afford it? Cannot be bothered, stay away.All the above of course is just my opinion :Smile::hardhat:

Oh and if you are staying for longer than a month, after 28 days, just stick you card in again,.

I can only go by my experiences, the lady behind the PO counter in Tavira looked at her co worker shook their heads and said Portugese vehicles only.

I have bent over backwards to try and fulfil my obligations regarding payment. Last year I paid €27.50 for a transponder, loaded it with €30 didn,t use all that by any means. When we left after 2 months I took the transponder back to the point of purchase( special journey) to reclaim my €27.50 for the transponder(not the unused toll) as promised in the leaflet I was told this was only possible within the first month. I still have this transponder but no longer active.

Where exactly would you stick your card in again ? The only place that I have seen the machine is at the border crossing and I am not prepared to drive back into Spain to re register and in any case this is only possible 3 times. I

I am reluctant to go down the transponder route again, once bitten and all that.

Please don't lecture me on the morality of paying your dues in other countries, I have done my best to pay these tolls but am no longer prepared to waste my time and money going round in circles to find my way round a flawed system.In any case most of this toll money ends up in the coffers of a private company, not the Portugese people.

Whatever country I am in I try and pay my dues in many ways,local taxes, staying on sites and thereby helping to provide employment for the Portugese people in particular.

I would agree with you that many people wish to use the facilities that a country offers whilst contributed a minimal amount to the economy of the country by avoiding tolls, 'freecamping' etc.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Linking "non campsite" to not contributing to the country's economy is not valid in all cases.

Of course some non site people are on a "limited budget" but many spend a small fortune in the local economy via restaurants, local shops and mobile phone shops!

And some prefer not to be parked in lines and only a few feet away from strangers...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Deleted User

And some prefer not to be parked in lines and only a few feet away from strangers...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

And some on sites likewise, not all sites are like that.

I have had neighbours on the next pitch now for 5 nights despite there being empty plots with plenty of space around, motorhomes of course...caravanners wouldn't do such a thing and I certainly would not.

The first one to do it was a big high German converted truck,immediately it went dark like an eclipse they were in the sun of course but that's life::bigsmile:

Clouded over and rained then so a form of poetic justice::bigsmile:

Might resort to the old caravanners trick of parking pickup or stretching washing line across next pitch.

I like my own space:thumb:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I can only go by my experiences, the lady behind the PO counter in Tavira looked at her co worker shook their heads and said Portugese vehicles only.

I have bent over backwards to try and fulfil my obligations regarding payment. Last year I paid €27.50 for a transponder, loaded it with €30 didn,t use all that by any means. When we left after 2 months I took the transponder back to the point of purchase( special journey) to reclaim my €27.50 for the transponder(not the unused toll) as promised in the leaflet I was told this was only possible within the first month. I still have this transponder but no longer active.

Where exactly would you stick your card in again ? The only place that I have seen the machine is at the border crossing and I am not prepared to drive back into Spain to re register and in any case this is only possible 3 times. I

I am reluctant to go down the transponder route again, once bitten and all that.

Please don't lecture me on the morality of paying your dues in other countries, I have done my best to pay these tolls but am no longer prepared to waste my time and money going round in circles to find my way round a flawed system.In any case most of this toll money ends up in the coffers of a private company, not the Portugese people.

Whatever country I am in I try and pay my dues in many ways,local taxes, staying on sites and thereby helping to provide employment for the Portugese people in particular.

I would agree with you that many people wish to use the facilities that a country offers whilst contributed a minimal amount to the economy of the country by avoiding tolls, 'freecamping' etc.

I reponded to the statement "I just ignore it now and will wait and see." thats what you said, and that was my answer.

I go to Portugal several times a year and have never had a problem with a post office payment, you have, but from the way I read it, you attempted to pay once and that was it, if you tried more than one post office I withdraw my remark.

I am would not "lecture me on the morality of paying your dues in other countries" as I am sure that would not work and we are all responsible for our own actions, so if I did you need not take notice.

I would just ask: When you say you will just wait and see, just what are you waiting for? Because is sounds as if that means "Well if I dont get caught so be it" I will point out that I am NOT saying that is how you feel as I am sure you will explain what you meant by that remark.

Deleted User
What it means is that since March 2012 I have been in Portugal for 5 months out of 11 for varying periods. March 2012 I attempted to do the right thing by purchasing a transponder, I have already stated what happened with that.

I returned to Portugal in late September but did not use a toll motorway,then spent a month in Spain returning to Portugal via the A22 in the middle of November and registered my card at the border crossing, used the A22 a couple of times in the next month and the tolls were deducted succesfully.

I flew back to the UK from Faro the day after the month was up using the A22, no possibility of paying in the 2 to 5 days window allotted for post payment as I was in the UK. Returned to Portugal early January, used the A22 to Portimao and soon after Portimao to Tavira. I have tried at the PO in Tavira and failed, I am not inclined to chase round trying to find someone to accept my payment. They have my registration number linked to my credit card and as far as I am concerned they are quite welcome to deduct any outstanding tolls

My conscience is quite clear that I have done my best to pay the tolls that I know I owe, the system was introduced in a hurry without proper planning and there is little that I can do abot that.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Salopian

On your way over to Portugal - if you are taking the road from Seville, you might be interested in visiting El Rocio - turn left a little way after Seville. It really is worth a visit - went last year. It's like a cowboy town - wide dirt streets, people using horses for everyday use, horse tying rails outside the shops (a lot of which were selling western gear). Also a lovely lake with flamingos and a lot of other birdlife (a good place for twitchers), you can even get a safari trip into the national park in a big 4x4. We free camped overnight in the town centre (next to the NO CAMPING SIGN) along with other motorhomes.

Also, we travelled all over Portugal last year and never went on a motorway - You can travel without going on the motorways if you are not in a hurry.

Nigel and Pamala

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
What it means is that since March 2012 I have been in Portugal for 5 months out of 11 for varying periods. March 2012 I attempted to do the right thing by purchasing a transponder, I have already stated what happened with that.

I returned to Portugal in late September but did not use a toll motorway,then spent a month in Spain returning to Portugal via the A22 in the middle of November and registered my card at the border crossing, used the A22 a couple of times in the next month and the tolls were deducted succesfully.

I flew back to the UK from Faro the day after the month was up using the A22, no possibility of paying in the 2 to 5 days window allotted for post payment as I was in the UK. Returned to Portugal early January, used the A22 to Portimao and soon after Portimao to Tavira. I have tried at the PO in Tavira and failed, I am not inclined to chase round trying to find someone to accept my payment. They have my registration number linked to my credit card and as far as I am concerned they are quite welcome to deduct any outstanding tolls

My conscience is quite clear that I have done my best to pay the tolls that I know I owe, the system was introduced in a hurry without proper planning and there is little that I can do abot that.

Then I agree, you have indeed tried your best and I of course withdraw any of my remarks that you may have thought were directed towards you.

If you visit Portugal that many times we might even meet and have a beer sometime as my house is on the Spanish side and I go to Portugal many times.

Travel well, enjoy :Smile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Salopian

On your way over to Portugal - if you are taking the road from Seville, you might be interested in visiting El Rocio - turn left a little way after Seville. It really is worth a visit - went last year. It's like a cowboy town - wide dirt streets, people using horses for everyday use, horse tying rails outside the shops (a lot of which were selling western gear). Also a lovely lake with flamingos and a lot of other birdlife (a good place for twitchers), you can even get a safari trip into the national park in a big 4x4. We free camped overnight in the town centre (next to the NO CAMPING SIGN) along with other motorhomes.

Also, we travelled all over Portugal last year and never went on a motorway - You can travel without going on the motorways if you are not in a hurry.

Nigel and Pamala

And if you go to El Rocio and not in a hurry, you may like to PM me and drop into my house for coffee as from there you pass my house on your way to Portugal.:Smile:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Does anyone know what the Portuguese site means by "Light Vehicle". Would a 3.5 ton motorhome be within this criteria or is it only for cars/vans? This is to purchase the 20 Euro ticket for 3 days travel.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are headed into Portugal on around the 12th Feb and having read and researched as much as possible, I intend to use the Easy Toll option, register C Card or Debit card along with your reg number at one of the various entry point machines and the card will be debited each time you use a toll section :thumb: It appears simple enough :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back