Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hope this isn't a silly question, but as I'm a newbie I'll ask anyway.....

I'm soon to take delivery of my new (to me) motorhome and was thinking of joining the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravanning Club..... but which one or even both.

Is there an advatnage to one or the other? Would it do any harm to join both.... I'm sort of thinking I'm answering my own question with the option of joining both, but would appreciate any comments either way.

Thanks,

Simon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hope this isn't a silly question, but as I'm a newbie I'll ask anyway.....

I'm soon to take delivery of my new (to me) motorhome and was thinking of joining the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravanning Club...
Simon

Exactly what we did. Joined one, found where we wanted to stay was the other, so then joined both.

Pretty disappointing too, we never expected to be turned away by a lot of sites as FULL.

That was year one. Since then we've done a few meets here but the real holidaying is across the Channel. It has to be said, we've been turned away from full sites there too but there are so many more over there.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
CC brilliant for CL's which we prefer, C & CC can't be faulted and in our opinion run rings around the CC for value, friendliness of wardens, less bull sh*t and more laid back attitudes on sites, great out of season deals, join both for a year and form your own opinions dependant on your preferred requirements.

As a member of the C & CC join the motor-home branch for a very small fee, The Waggoners, a friendlier bunch of ralliers you'll be pushed to better anywhere.

My five pence worth, take as you find, we were once newbies it all depends on what you expect/want, rallies or full on site facilities. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Then there's the Motorcaravanners Club, which don't have organised sites like the other two, but they do have some terrific meets and rallies.
Quite a few funsters are members.

John

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

We are in all three,

1. Would choose CCC to me they are the friendliest and you can turn up at any of their rallies with out booking which is a good bonus

2 MCC they have good rallies again you do not need to book.

Best of all for meets and rallies though is Motorhome fun you can not beat it for friendlies.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
In both and for £80 ish well worth the money and if you use the deals available you get your money back anyway, worth trying for a year for sure.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Spenders, and welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming!

Good advice above re trying them both out. It's all about personal preference, really. Remember though that in a motorhome you've got more freedom to "up sticks" at a moment's notice than in a caravan, so although camp sites and CLs can be great places, and perfect if you want a week/fortnight somewhere, you can also try your hand at "wild camping".

In Europe you've got the brilliant aires stopovers network, and there's the famous France Passion vineyard and farm stopover scheme.

And of course over this side of the channel, there's us :winky: :thumb:

Steve :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Then there's also the 'make' Owners Club (eg ours would be the Swift owners Club) - a lot of them do rallies too.

BUTTTTT - do you actually want to rally anyway? LOL

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am sure there are fans of both clubs, but for us, the C&CC knocks spots off the CC.
Never met so many jumped up oiks in all my life as those within the C & CC organisation

Bad, bad experiences followed one after the other.. Then when I had the audacity to put in writing ( a non emotive straight forward report of the absolute facts ) I was told the CC 'did not need people like us'

The direct opposite has been the case with the C & CC..

Had one issue.. mentioned it to someone at a C & CC stand at a show.. Took my details and had a letter within the week from them with the matter fully resolved.. Lovely people who are in the game because they are campers, unlike the CC who are in it for the money as it is an independent company with share holders etc who have nothing to do with our way of life :Blush: ( Not totally sure about this bit but it IS what comes across )

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am sure there are fans of both clubs, but for us, the C&CC knocks spots off the CC.
Never met so many jumped up oiks in all my life as those within the C & CC organisation

Jaws,

Just a little confused by the above part of your post. I'm sure it was a typo error but just for clarification I assume you do mean you prefer the Camping and Caravanning Club :winky:

Just to many 'C's hehe ::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
If you want only one it has to be the C &CC

I've been in both and have been very frustrated by the Caravan Clubs booking system. In the Camping and Caravan Club you pay a deposit, so you book only the nights you really plan to use the sites. In the Caravan Club there is no deposit and it appears that people block book sites then wait to see what the weather is like. If its no good, they cancel. I work in a job where I can't plan months ahead, and have found that CC sites are invariably fully booked, but if you check again in the few days before travelling, there can be availability presumably because the block bookers have cancelled. This is not a good system, and although they have brought in a rule which is intended to penalise those who cancel frequently at short notice, it encourages selfish behaviour. Its a pity because some of the sites are excellent.

Needless to say I cancelled my CC membership this year and have decided to try using just Camping and Caravan Club sites.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I agree with others. Try both for a year and then make your own mind up. That's what we did and then ditched the C&CC. We found the facilities poor compared to the CC with corrugated roofs and PIR infra red heaters in the toilet blocks which meant that in winter they were freezing and the heating only came on when someone walked in. But each to their own, you might find you like it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back