Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Can you make an Android app work on a Playbook? I am not just talking about sideswipe but being able to assess the problems and getting. It to work:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can you make an Android app work on a Playbook?

Would you buy PC software to run on an Apple ?

Would you buy Apple software to run on a PC ?

Would you expect diesel to run in your petrol engine ?

You want to run Android programs without hassle, buy and Android.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

That's a bit negative. I run lots of windows software on my Linux box. I run some DOS box programs under my windows emulation.
I run plenty of NES/SNES games on both.

Why shouldn't I run an android app under QNX if it is doable?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's a bit negative. I run lots of windows software on my Linux box. I run some DOS box programs under my windows emulation.
I run plenty of NES/SNES games on both.

Why shouldn't I run an android app under QNX if it is doable?

This post demonstrates how useless I am with computers.

I don't understand a ruddy word of it::bigsmile:

I don't know what android is, never heard of DOS, never heard of QNX and don't know what a Linux box is..

Is NES and SNES something to do with Nintendo?

I feel like I have been living in a time warp::bigsmile:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
This post demonstrates how useless I am with computers.

I don't understand a ruddy word of it::bigsmile:

I don't know what android is, never heard of DOS, never heard of QNX and don't know what a Linux box is..

Is NES and SNES something to do with Nintendo?

I feel like I have been living in a time warp::bigsmile:

[HI]:ROFLMAO: me to :ROFLMAO:[/HI]

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol

Brian you should allow posters to ask questions without you having to pass a comment sometimes as it it is annoying when your comments are unfounded. I should not have to explain my reasons to you but Karl has it spot on. I, as others do as well use numerous things on cross platforms because some do things better than others but it is hard to find something that does it all.:Doh:

Just in case we have the grammar police waiting to pounce i will say this:
Apologies if the grammar is not to your liking but we all have different skills, the next time I am performing a heart transplant and need an assistant it will post on here.

Martin I hope one does as it is an excellent App that many would love.:thumb:

Jim I wish I was able to do it myself sadly I am not, you are aware of why I have asked the question so know it is asked for good reason.

Karl thanks for your comments you know exactly why I asked the question, you do not fancy a project do you? I know you will make Jim, me and others very happy.:winky:

Am I correct in saying that if the App is free then it is acceptable to side swipe it? I would gladly pay for this App but that is not an option.

TIA

:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
'morning Steve

I appreciate you are trying to get Navfree to work.. but there are alternatives such as Google maps , Magellan Compass... and quite a few others on the BB app store.

However , GPS on the PlayBook isn't assisted, it takes forever to load up and it'll never really be as accurate as an assisted GPS system.

.... I tested several in the car, with the PB bridged to my BB phone.. I found the Playbook GPS was very unreliable and would loose the signal and stray off course, ..

I thought I had a faulty GPS.. but when I searched on Crackberry this seems to be a common complaint/problem .. the PB needs a clear view of the sky for any chance of a fix.. so working in the car was hopeless.. even a cloud is enough to make it lose the sat signal.. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and gave up .. for in car navigation, my six yo old TomTom is far better..

so, even if you get Navfree to load and work successful .. will it be worth the effort with such a poor GPS receiver ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
'morning Steve

I appreciate you are trying to get Navfree to work.. but there are alternatives such as Google maps , Magellan Compass... and quite a few others on the BB app store.

However , GPS on the PlayBook isn't assisted, it takes forever to load up and it'll never really be as accurate as an assisted GPS system.

.... I tested several in the car, with the PB bridged to my BB phone.. I found the Playbook GPS was very unreliable and would loose the signal and stray off course, ..

I thought I had a faulty GPS.. but when I searched on Crackberry this seems to be a common complaint/problem .. the PB needs a clear view of the sky for any chance of a fix.. so working in the car was hopeless.. even a cloud is enough to make it lose the sat signal.. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and gave up .. for in car navigation, my six yo old TomTom is far better..

so, even if you get Navfree to load and work successful .. will it be worth the effort with such a poor GPS receiver ?

Morning JIM
You have it spot on about Navfree/Navmii as you know it is an excellent App. I bought Magellan yesterday as I was unaware the PB had poor GPS do you know is there a GPS aerial?

I have a TomTom in fact we had 3 but 2 died and I am pre emping the other doing the same. Navfree was great on the iPhone but the screen is too small and iPad too big. I fancied the PB for use as a sat nav as well as the other things it has. Will try to find a way around the poor GPS thanks for comments JIM

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Morning JIM
You have it spot on about Navfree/Navmii as you know it is an excellent App. I bought Magellan yesterday as I was unaware the PB had poor GPS d[HI]o you know is there a GPS aerial?[/HI]

I have a TomTom in fact we had 3 but 2 died and I am pre emping the other doing the same. Navfree was great on the iPhone but the screen is too small and iPad too big. I fancied the PB for use as a sat nav as well as the other things it has. Will try to find a way around the poor GPS thanks for comments JIM

not that I am aware of...

some interesting comments on this thread
http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/playbook-gps-issues-755374/

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
An interesting read Jim and the same issues as the iPad I can get GPS after a few mins so far
Aerial should help while driving have found a few o eBay just need to do more homework to see if any connect via micro USB, mind you will PB accept this?
More homework lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian you should allow posters to ask questions without you having to pass a comment sometimes as it it is annoying when your comments are unfounded.

I posted it for the greater good of FUNsters in general, as a friendly warning. Buy Blackberry by all means but if you really want to run Android apps it's not straightforward and you will need skills way beyond most people in here.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
An interesting read Jim and the same issues as the iPad I can get GPS after a few mins so far
Aerial should help while driving have found a few o eBay just need to do more homework to see if any connect via micro USB, mind you [HI]will PB accept this?[/HI]
More homework lol

No.. again, to the best of my knowledge, the USB on the Playbook won't work as a host .. unless it is 'rooted' .. but apparently that's not easy with OS 2.1

nor can it be used to connect a camera or SD card reader to transfer images .. one of my main gripes. I tried it ... no joy. It has the hardware .. but not the drivers/software.

However.. It is rumoured that the new OS 10 will have this facility .. fingers crossed..

more reading :roflmto:
http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/so-playbook-usb-otg-ready-like-mini-flash-drives-750481/

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

For a computer to do anything it needs a program running. It's like a car without a driver. All ready to go but it does not know how to.

Stage 1 is BIOS - Basic Input Output System. That's the ignition key turning. It's a small program that knows how to read the keyboard and light up the screen.

Stage 2 is DOS/Windows/Linux/QNX/Android/Apple. They all do the same thing in 6 different ways. Why 6 ( and more ) ways ? Money and Patents. Bill Gates, Microsoft has patents on windows and charges a lot so Linus Torvalds, a Swedish gentleman wrote his own equivalent. Apple did theirs, Google did Android. These Operating Systems are the drivers. They can drive the car, turn on its heating, put the lights on when needed.

Stage 3 are the Apps/Applications/Programs. These are the navigators, get you where you need to go.

You want to write a letter then WORD takes you there.
You want to read a book then Kindle App takes you there.
You want the Internet then a Browser takes you there ( IE, Firefox, Chrome ).

So there you are, as easy as 1,2,3.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
nor can it be used to connect a camera or SD card reader to transfer images .. one of my main gripes. I tried it ... no joy. It has the hardware .. but not the drivers/software.

Damn

Will look at link later Jim

My views on other comments pics etc are they want you to use Cloud and the like via wifi or similar so no need of all the adapters or use their expensive adapters
So is an wifi/Bluetooth aerial an option? The PB may be heading back :cry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
For a computer to do anything it needs a program running. It's like a car without a driver. All ready to go but it does not know how to.

Stage 1 is BIOS - Basic Input Output System. That's the ignition key turning. It's a small program that knows how to read the keyboard and light up the screen.

Stage 2 is DOS/Windows/Linux/QNX/Android/Apple. They all do the same thing in 6 different ways. Why 6 ( and more ) ways ? Money and Patents. Bill Gates, Microsoft has patents on windows and charges a lot so Linus Torvalds, a Swedish gentleman wrote his own equivalent. Apple did theirs, Google did Android. These Operating Systems are the drivers. They can drive the car, turn on its heating, put the lights on when needed.

Stage 3 are the Apps/Applications/Programs. These are the navigators, get you where you need to go.

You want to write a letter then WORD takes you there.
You want to read a book then Kindle App takes you there.
You want the Internet then a Browser takes you there ( IE, Firefox, Chrome ).

So there you are, as easy as 1,2,3.

That makes a bit more sense.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Damn

Will look at link later Jim

My views on other comments pics etc are they want you to use Cloud and the like via wifi or similar so no need of all the adapters or use their expensive adapters

[HI]So is an wifi/Bluetooth aerial an option?[/HI] The PB may be heading back :cry:

Not using the mini usb..

Don't be too hasty.. the new BB phone with OS10 is due out very soon and the OS will be available for Playbook, but then again, no guarantee it will do all we want/need.. :Sad:

What is really annoying, you can connect to you're PC wirelessly by mapping it as a network drive, transfer media both ways.. .. use it like any other storage drive.. but not from a camera or card reader connected by usb. :Doh:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back