Caravan 'can't be towed away' (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Act of revenge by disgruntled motorist :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Since it's not breaking any law..

I can see this generating a lot of interest with the[STRIKE] freeloaders[/STRIKE] wild camping fraternity ...:winky:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If he is not breaking any laws then what is the problem, why the interest?

The interest is the difference between a motorhome and a caravan, if you park a motorhome there you could be issued with a ticket as its a caravan you cant.

Obstruction is obstruction regardless...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Since it's not breaking any law..

I can see this generating a lot of interest with the[STRIKE] freeloaders[/STRIKE] wild camping fraternity ...:winky:

Occupy it and see how fast things change:winky:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I think the owner is very lucky, round here it would have been towed away by the Itinerants and weighed in :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The interest is the difference between a motorhome and a caravan, if you park a motorhome there you could be issued with a ticket as its a caravan you cant.

Obstruction is obstruction regardless...
I must admit that I have sometimes wondered about the legallity of leaving a caravan parked outside you own home on a public road. According to this link, as long as you are not living in it, it is perfectly legal. So this is not an open door for free loaders as they would be in residence.:thumb:

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Where we live now someone leaves their caravan on a bend on double yellow lines and it stays there for as long as they see fit to leave it... even though it makes the corner dangerous. Personally I wouldn't leave it there for the sake of someone giving it a bash, or the bus hitting it. Maybe that's what they want a new van through their insurance?

On our old estate we were not even allowed to park our Caravan on our own drive and had to pay for storage. There was a covenant that prohibited it. Some owners of Caravan were lucky and got away with it we however had a Sh**y neighbour who was quick to remind us of the covenant and threatened us with legal action, come on now my caravan was only a Freedom Jet Steam... So not huge. :shout:

We had the last laugh though because we sold our house to someone who had a huge van Bigger than our Caravan who Parked that on the drive. Much less nice to look at....:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
103. No person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer shall cause or permit the vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I must admit that I have sometimes wondered about the legallity of leaving a caravan parked outside you own home on a public road. According to this link, as long as you are not living in it, it is perfectly legal. So this is not an open door for free loaders as they would be in residence.:thumb:

Obstructing the highway is an offence, wether it be with a motor vehicle or a pushbike.
No one has the right to park on the road outside their own house or anywhere else on the public roads.
It happens, most folk dont get aggro from plod if it's done sensibly as it's so widespread as to be unpoliceable except in the case of a different offence, that of parking in a dangerous position.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
103. No person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer shall cause or permit the vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

That's the one.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The vehicle isn't causing an obstruction in a legal sense - otherwise the police would have moved it.

It is exempt from RTA as it is not a mechanically propelled vehicle. It is not being lived in, and is not abandoned - therefore it is just parked.

I recall when I was young, changing an engine in my car. I pulled out the old one in my garage, and then pushed it onto the road whilst i got the donor one in to be removed. It was a posh area, and needless to say the curtain twitchers reacted in seconds, calling the police.

They put a ticket on it .....I went to the police station and told then it was not a car, but a trailer according to RTA as it's running gear had been removed. He went and got the very large book, checked and apologised, ripping up the ticket.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Obstructing the highway is an offence, wether it be with a motor vehicle or a pushbike.
No one has the right to park on the road outside their own house or anywhere else on the public roads.
It happens, most folk dont get aggro from plod if it's done sensibly as it's so widespread as to be unpoliceable except in the case of a different offence, that of parking in a dangerous position.

That's the one.

I can only go by the post stating that it is not illegal to park an unattached unoccupied caravan on a yellow line. Who am I to argue with that authority.
The caravan in question was obviously not deemed to be an obstruction.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
They should contact LBWF they regularly removed caravans from the public highway.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
One of the people interviewed said he had to mount the pavement to manoeuvre round the caravan. Doesn't that count is it causing an obstruction?

if the person interviewed had to mount the pavement to get round that caravan on that road in the video he shouldn't be bloody driving.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I can only go by the post stating that it is not illegal to park an unattached unoccupied caravan on a yellow line. Who am I to argue with that authority.
The caravan in question was obviously not deemed to be an obstruction.

Obstructing the highway is a (non endorseable) offence.
Be that a motor vehicle, caravan or a skip, obstruction is obstruction.
As I said earlier Buttons, it's so commonplace it's barely policeable.

One of the people interviewed said he had to mount the pavement to manoeuvre round the caravan. Doesn't that count is it causing an obstruction?

Yes, it does.

Having said that, isnt this a yellow line issue, rather than solely one of obstruction?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back