Am I thick or old, or both ? (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Sometimes when I read some of the threads on here I realise that I haven't got a clue what is being discussed. Technical stuff, I mean.
When people ask if they can connect a blue plated thingame to a left handed outlet on the coaxial spracket bobbin to get a better power use through the sky box in Outer Mongolia I just glaze over.

I don't mean everyday (to me, anyway) motorhome useage, I mean all of these add on things for satellite TVs, upgrading electrics or whatever.

Can someone compile a glossary of all of the terms that you Techy people use and explain what they are or what they do ? Just so us "average" intelligence lot can stand a chance ?

PLEASE :Blush: :helpsos::getmecoat:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Sometimes when I read some of the threads on here I realise that I haven't got a clue what is being discussed. Technical stuff, I mean.
When people ask if they can connect a blue plated thingame to a left handed outlet on the coaxial spracket bobbin to get a better power use through the sky box in Outer Mongolia I just glaze over.

I don't mean everyday (to me, anyway) motorhome useage, I mean all of these add on things for satellite TVs, upgrading electrics or whatever.

Can someone compile a glossary of all of the terms that you Techy people use and explain what they are or what they do ? Just so us "average" intelligence lot can stand a chance ?

i wouldn't say your thick or old or both,you are just knokinonabit:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing - better not knowing: BigGrin:
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
OK no wise cracks from me, I will start the list.

1. A Thingamedobrywhatsitsname, is named as such when I can't think of the proper name for whatever I'm fiddling with at the time.::bigsmile: I think. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
OK no wise cracks from me, I will start the list.

1. A Thingamedobrywhatsitsname, is named as such when I can't think of the proper name for whatever I'm fiddling with at the time.::bigsmile: I think. :RollEyes:

I'm begginning to see the light, I think :help:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Aww go on.

Just a little bit won't hurt, will it ? :RollEyes:
That's when it gets you :Eeek:::bigsmile:
The BLACK ART of electricery always catches me out :Eeek:Even after all these yrs ::bigsmile:The other month I was stripping some lights out of a building ,made sure all leccy was off and still got a belt- apparently strip lights have capasators that hold the leccy waiting for me to spring the trap on :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: Telling you it a dangeous thing, take heed ::bigsmile:
terry

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
You're not on your own - I sometimes read stuff half a dozen times, & still doesn't make sense. Sometimes better to leave it, & then go back with a clearer head.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
That's when it gets you :Eeek:::bigsmile:
The BLACK ART of electricery always catches me out :Eeek:Even after all these yrs ::bigsmile:The other month I was stripping some lights out of a building ,made sure all leccy was off and still got a belt- apparently strip lights have capasators that hold the leccy waiting for me to spring the trap on :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: Telling you it a dangeous thing, take heed ::bigsmile:
terry

You just can't help yourselves, can you ?

Capasitors !!!!

Your using fancy words again. Is this to throw me off the scent ?
It's a conspiracy, that's what it is.:secret:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Capasitors !!!!

Like a posh re-charable battery to me and you :winky: no doubt somebody will be along to give a proper explination :Smile:

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
I wish I had two heads.

Are you related to Worzel Gummidge ? ::bigsmile:

Depends if I have had a bad hair day:thumb:

I think maybe I put myself under too much pressure to "know" stuff - I do enjoy learning, but finding it more difficult to remember it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Depends if I have had a bad hair day:thumb:

I think maybe I put myself under too much pressure to "know" stuff - I do enjoy learning, but finding it more difficult to remember it all.

As Homer Simpson once said, "I'm afraid to learn new stuff in case it pushes the old stuff out".
Well that's me !!!!!

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
As Homer Simpson once said, "I'm afraid to learn new stuff in case it pushes the old stuff out".
Well that's me !!!!!

Yes, I resemble that remark. And also can sympathise with Bart, who once said in class, "May I be excused? My brain is full."

Steve :Smile:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Tec Turm

Years ago we had a washing machine that bloo up. When I stripped it down I found the remnents of a electical componant which had blow apart. On the main body was printed DUBLA or a word like it. Being the kind of skinflint that never likes to pay for something I can repair my self, I went to the local wholesale electrical dealer. Wanting to sound like I knew what I was talking about, I confidently put the piece on the counter and asked for a replacement DUBLA. The man looked at me quisicaly and went away. I could hear titering in the back ground. When he came back to the counter he said he was sorry but they had no DUBA's left and all they could offer was a HOOBLI DOOBLI. With that every one fell about neerly peeing them selves laughing.

Pudseykeith :Blush:

Last edited:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Do you find when you ask for a doodah you often get given a doohicky? Often they are interchangeable, but it's even more frustrating when you get a doodad instead. Can't people see they're just not the same?

The same applies when I'm after a wotisitsname and I get fobbed off with a simple wotsit instead. Watchamacallits, on the other hand, are of course a different thing altogether, and I don't suppose for one minute that anyone here could possibly confuse them with anything else.

As for thingummies, well you can get by with a thingamabob but I find thingamajigs are a much better alternative (everyone knows, of course, that the generic term "thingy" refers to all such items, but should only be used as such, not to identify particular thingies).

And oojamaflips? Don't get me started!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If there is ever anything you don't understand just ask. It's likely nobody else will understand either but somebody is bound to make something up sooner or later :roflmto:

Forget all advice such as this posted by GJH If you are really stuck:Doh:

Ask your Grandchildren, as a general rule I find the younger they are the more techy stuff they know:Sad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

[HI]Capasitors !!!![/HI]

its a fing what stores lectrickery in a thingamybobs aluminum casing
that when you touches the wire it jumps out and bloomin bites with
a loud expletive jumping fourth from ones cake hole

or/
a capacitor stores an electrical charge and releases it when required
usually to assist the motor to run in the required direction
obviousley someone will correct if i am wrong

on some larger electrical motors you may find a aluminium tube like
cylinder or an oval shaped type tube
with a couple of wires attached that run back into the electric motor

before interferring with such a thing you would need to discharge it
ie make the lectrikery jump to earth :thumb:

ear do dis help sir http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor1.htm
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Do you find when you ask for a doodah you often get given a doohicky? Often they are interchangeable, but it's even more frustrating when you get a doodad instead. Can't people see they're just not the same?

The same applies when I'm after a wotisitsname and I get fobbed off with a simple wotsit instead. Watchamacallits, on the other hand, are of course a different thing altogether, and I don't suppose for one minute that anyone here could possibly confuse them with anything else.

As for thingummies, well you can get by with a thingamabob but I find thingamajigs are a much better alternative (everyone knows, of course, that the generic term "thingy" refers to all such items, but should only be used as such, not to identify particular thingies).

And oojamaflips? Don't get me started!

It's nice to know there are people on here who fully understand my predicament and can explain everything in lay-mans terms :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

its a fing what stores lectrickery in a thingamybobs aluminum casing
that when you touches the wire it jumps out and bloomin bites with
a loud expletive jumping fourth from ones cake hole

or/
a capacitor stores an electrical charge and releases it when required
usually to assist the motor to run in the required direction
obviousley someone will correct if i am wrong

on some larger electrical motors you may find a aluminium tube like
cylinder or an oval shaped type tube
with a couple of wires attached that run back into the electric motor

before interferring with such a thing you would need to discharge it
ie make the lectrikery jump to earth :thumb:

ear do dis help sir http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor1.htm
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Nope all I can say is my watch has one :Doh: never needs a battery the blurb said :thumb: what it did not say is batterys last about 5 yrs and cost a quid and the cap lasts 7 yrs and needs sending to Sieko for replacment at just shy of £100 :cry::Doh:
BTW what's a DUF-FA ?are they left handed or right handed ::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Forget all advice such as this posted by GJH If you are really stuck:Doh:

[HI]Ask your Grandchildren, as a general rule I find the younger they are the more techy stuff they know[/HI]:Sad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Is that why you're still on buttons not zips? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does nobody us an irish screwdriver anymore :ROFLMAO: thats all i use on thingy gummy things and such :winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Nope all I can say is my watch has one :Doh: never needs a battery the blurb said :thumb: what it did not say is batterys last about 5 yrs and cost a quid and the cap lasts 7 yrs and needs sending to Sieko for replacment at just shy of £100 :cry::Doh:
[HI]BTW what's a DUF-FA[/HI] ?are they left handed or right handed ::bigsmile:
terry

DUF-FA, spelled Doofer or Doofah depending on your local, is the uppermost part of the Scon-don, which of course is the most necessary part in any of the post-war Foo-Foo valves and without which, liquid will remain just that, liquid. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back