Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Roller Team
Exp
Hi,

My company has an account with this supplier

http://avslgroup.com/en/product/651.671UK

I have just received the big 2500W version which costs £130.00+vat

My question, can I connect this to the existing combination of van batters (under the passenger seat) which is wired to a leisure battery (under the seating table)

When the engine is running can the alternator give enough power to run this microwave oven

http://www.brennands.co.uk/russell-...crowave-oven-grill-25l-rhm2506/prod_2366.html

The inverter is modified sine wave and is supplied with 2 red and 2 black heavy duty hook up wires.

Any tips?

Thanks

PS anyone interested in getting an inverter, they are on special offer at the moment, seen the selling for anything from £180 to £280

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Microwaves are better suited to pure sinewave inverters, although some modified sinewave inverters will run some microwaves.

The microwave you propose running will flatten your batteries in no time possibly instantly. If you have to have a microwave go for a low output one 500 to 600w is best.

Microwaves use more power on start up than the quoted input or output power.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I doubt it, though with a Sterling Alt to Battery Charger it should Just about. Not recommended unless you have at least 3 batteries though or the high charge rate will damage the plates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

steve14364

Free Member
Jan 11, 2013
Southend
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Roller Team
Exp
What about an updated alternator? I did see the information from

Link Removed

And this interesting video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKURbJOoICk"]Sterling Power - charging batteries - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps 2 large batteries, I've seen 142Ah. Don't know if there are any larger. 2 of them would do the job?

Also thought about a diesel generator, perhaps I can convert one and use the van's fuel tank and should be able to mount underneath the vehicle.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Steve.

You can run a microwave from an inverter.

I do.

I also have all my sockets wired up to go live when I switch the inverter on.

I have a Battery to Battery charger to kick more power from the ordinary alternator in to the leisure battery's negating much of the drain.

So I can every morning, run my microwave for my porridge without needing to start my engine.

If I need a pie on the route to somewhere, again, I use my Microwave whilst the engine is running to heat pies.

The normal drain is about 100amps but only used for a minute or two it doesn't equate to much. However with my B2B replacing 45amps of that the drain is even smaller, and simply leaving the engine running a little longer makes it all "ok".

The trouble might be in the items you highlight, best with a lower watt Microwave, my inverter is 1800w and it's not pure sine wave it's quasi sine wave and works fine.

Link

Link Removed

Link Removed

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Steve.

You can run a microwave from an inverter.

I do.

I also have all my sockets wired up to go live when I switch the inverter on.

I have a Battery to Battery charger to kick more power from the ordinary alternator in to the leisure battery's negating much of the drain.

So I can every morning, run my microwave for my porridge without needing to start my engine.

If I need a pie on the route to somewhere, again, I use my Microwave whilst the engine is running to heat pies.

The normal drain is about 100amps but only used for a minute or two it doesn't equate to much. However with my B2B replacing 45amps of that the drain is even smaller, and simply leaving the engine running a little longer makes it all "ok".

The trouble might be in the items you highlight, best with a lower watt Microwave, my inverter is 1800w and it's not pure sine wave it's quasi sine wave and works fine.

Link

Link Removed

Link Removed

How many batteries or what battery power do you have?

I only have 110 Amphr and many new vans have less.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi,

My company has an account with this supplier

http://avslgroup.com/en/product/651.671UK

I have just received the big 2500W version which costs £130.00+vat

My question, can I connect this to the existing combination of van batters (under the passenger seat) which is wired to a leisure battery (under the seating table)

When the engine is running can the alternator give enough power to run this microwave oven

http://www.brennands.co.uk/russell-...crowave-oven-grill-25l-rhm2506/prod_2366.html

The inverter is modified sine wave and is supplied with 2 red and 2 black heavy duty hook up wires.

Any tips?

Thanks

PS anyone interested in getting an inverter, they are on special offer at the moment, seen the selling for anything from £180 to £280

DON'T take a risk
Give it to me I will give it a good home for you
Your van might not like it being fitted in her. He he he

Pure sign wave is what you need for a microwave. You could burn out the mother board on modified sign wave

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Soooo .....

Coming off the mains is the most awful sine wave you can find.. You should see some of the wave forms I have looked out out in the wilds of Norfolk !! Absolutely filthy with spikes anbd dips all over the place..

Most modern equipment has pretty good filters fitted, and most that use an onboard PSU also emply fairly sturdy switch mode units which, thanks to the filters are very happy to work on most AC sources

The only iffy bit is the klystron, but again, with modern filtration in the gate of the on board PSU , that really should not be an issue

I ran our microwave on a crabby old 1.8kw 2T unit for ages before the stink and the noise made me swap it for a decent 2kW Kipor !!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You could save your self a fortune and use a COOKER, there's nothing That
can't be cooked on one, and if I'm away off site I prefer to cook on any thing but !
Vlad.

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
Steve
before you purchase check via g**gle other companies are selling for £125+vat delivered
cheers

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You could save your self a fortune and use a COOKER, there's nothing That
can't be cooked on one, and if I'm away off site I prefer to cook on any thing but !
Vlad.

We bought a mini Samsung 550w microwave to use in our van but decided we were never in a rush for food so didn't use it.

I still have it if anyone is interested in buying one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back