Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Hello, First let me apologize if this subject has been been covered before. You see I can't find a 'search this forum' Button and I am being lazy not wanting to check every thread....so here goes.

We have holidayed in France several times staying with family and have noticed lots of mini car park type places that have a sign for MH on them. They appear to be for over night camping using a MH. Is this the case? Some have electric Hookup too so I was wondering if you can just pull up and use these facilities for free. Do they have fresh water supply and toilet disposal as well? These small places would be Ideal for us giving us a chance to look round villages while we parked up. Is there a guide book available with the places on them. I am guessing that this is what members call Aires on this site am I right?

Can anyone point me to any posts on the forum that would be helpful?

Many Thanks.:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Search button is under the Motorhomefun banner at the top left of the page. in between new posts and quick links. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
MotorhomeFun > THE MOTORHOME FUN COMMUNITY > WILD CAMPING > Europe is where many Aire posts end up.

If you click the 'Aire today' link in my signature below you can have a look at my own modest offering. The other link below it shows a selection of mapped aire photos.

The site that's the daddy of them all is www.campingcar-infos.com which is French - well worth a trawl with Google Translate handy. I swear by their free SatNav POI files, and plan most of our French trips using that site now. I prefer it to buying a book because it's constantly updated with user feedback.

And yes, pretty much everything you've surmised about Aires is the case. Typically there's a small fee for access to 24hr parking, fresh water, and disposal points for waste water and loo. Some have electric hookups but most don't. Maximum duration of stay (in days) varies from place to place. The fees and the means of paying them are different in different places. Some aires are free, especially outside the high season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Fantastic Replies all of you... Thanks

Oh and yes I have found the search Button now with your help.... Don't know how I missed it.
:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Oh and yes I have found the search Button now with your help.... Don't know how I missed it.

Also if you click on my french Aires link below in my reply you will find many more AIRES...also click on each the photo and bring many more...enlarge...ALSO CLICK ON SLIDE SHOW AFTER CLICKING ON A PHOTO
Mel

Last edited:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Dont forget it is for motorhomes only NO Caravans allowed although some caravaners use the Aires and get away with it sometimes, just remember, dont put anything outside motorhome when parked up, it is for parking only, enjoy your stay at all the Aires you go to
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you're clever and park adjacent to grass or reverse up to it you can put your chairs out there, it is only to prevent taking up parking space.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
To find and use the facilities provided by local Municipal authorities in France look for these signs when passing through towns and villages.

They are usually very close to main roads and the disposal points are normally free to use.

Water and electricity may have to be paid for but they are rarely more than a couple of Euros and a full water tank should last at least a two or three days.

Waste disposal, grey water and cassette, are free but use only the grates and outlets designated and do not pour the cassettes contents down a grey water drain - it smells, is unhygienic and not very sensible.

You can usually park up at these places but many are not really suitable for long stay parking.

The picture of the facilities at the small St Brice en Cogles aire shows how good some are but many may only be a grate in the ground and basic water outlets.

Attachments

• St Brice en Cogles Facilities 1.jpg
    St Brice en Cogles Facilities 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Aire de Service 3.jpg
    Aire de Service 3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Aire 1.jpg
    Aire 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 16

Join us or log in to post a reply.