Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I have a WiFi booster that connects to my laptop via a USB. this works very well.

I am looking for the best way to share this signal with other devices such as phones and tablets.

I have used Connecticut which works by creating a local hotspot around the laptop.
I theory this is exactly what I need however, within a few days of installation it starts to crash the laptop. ( windows 7 ) .
This problem is well documented on google.

What I am looking for is either a good stable alternative piece of software or better still a USB plug in device that shares the signal.
I would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Neil.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I tried this on my laptop before i left for Morocco.

I seemed to work fine, after a alight glitch as I did not read the instructions and there were some notes about clicking the connection you want to share..
However not used it here as I bought a MiFi and use the ipad...

Connectify is another program but I did read on another forum about glitchea with it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have a WiFi booster that connects to my laptop via a USB. this works very well.
I am looking for the best way to share this signal with other devices such as phones and tablets.
Thanks Neil.

Am looking for same sort of thing as we have 2 laptops. (His and HERS) ::bigsmile:

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I use one of
Link Removed
as recomended to me by Brian (Chesterfield hooligan)
terry
edit also use one of
Link Removed
Then I bought another same type thing for ÂŁ21 that lasts 12 mths -gives 250 mb download per mth, with unlimited surfing --as of now it's still works a treat-sorry cannot find a link
found it-only for UK ---
Link Removed

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Neil,

What chipset does your antenna currently have? If it has a Railink 3070 chipset then you can purchase the a USB router which will do the same job with your existing USB WiFi antenna. We can supply one of these including a 12v cigarette style adapter for ÂŁ59.99 delivered (not on our website as we only sell this as a "kit" with an antenna, but can supply the router only if you wish).

You could however use one laptop to share the connection wirelessly. We recommend connectify hotspot for this - the free version works just fine: http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

The iBoost is a full system which will both receive and share a WiFi signal to multiple devices in your van. We're getting out kits in on Friday - we sold a lot of kit over Christmas to Funsters down in Spain who saw our kit in use by our customers on their winter campsites! :thumb:

The MiFi as recommended by Terry is good for 3G - but you'll need a SIM card to go with it of course :)

All the best,

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I use one of
Link Removed
as recomended to me by Brian (Chesterfield hooligan)
terry
edit also use one of
Link Removed
Then I bought another same type thing for ÂŁ21 that lasts 12 mths -gives 250 mb download per mth, with unlimited surfing --as of now it's still works a treat-sorry cannot find a link
found it-only for UK ---
Link Removed

SNAP i have done exactly the same on all accounts and have always been able to get online when out and about UK.:thumb:

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks for all the tips.

Addie: Connectify me has a terrible clash with windows 7 and mine experiences this all the time .

I do have a railink booster which plugs into the laptop.

Can you be a bit more specific about the device I can plug into another USB to share the signal or suggest a stable alternative to connectify me

Many thanks

Neil

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the tips.

Addie: Connectify me has a terrible clash with windows 7 and mine experiences this all the time .

I do have a railink booster which plugs into the laptop.

Can you be a bit more specific about the device I can plug into another USB to share the signal or suggest a stable alternative to connectify me

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've sent you an e-mail to your Yahoo e-mail address (from when you've contacted me via www.europebycamper.com) with a copy of the units instruction leaflet (written by us) and some pictures and specifics of the unit as I don't want to abuse my privileges by plugging our products too much on Fun. If you don't get an e-mail or your e-mail address has changed, please drop an e-mail to sales AT motorhomewifi.com and I will forward it over.

You are more than welcome to try the device and if for any reason you don't get on with it, you can return it to us for a refund. :thumb:

All the best,

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Have just downloaded and installed Connectify Lite and for last 10 mins it's been running ok with Carolyn using it to get online as well ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Just had a thought-does connectify mean that wheras on some sites we would have to purchase 2 wifi keys-we can now just buy 1 ??

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just had a thought-does connectify mean that wheras on some sites we would have to purchase 2 wifi keys-we can now just buy 1 ??

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's exactly right. As far as the network you are connected to is concerned only one device is connected, the second device (connected via your built in WiFi) would be 'invisible' to the network.

Just a note to other Funsters on this thread - you can only use Connectify to share the connection if you already have a USB WiFi booster in use. When this is the case, your computers 'built in' WiFi is redundant and can be turned into a secured hotspot for other devices to connect.

Purchasing the full version of Connectify is excellent as you can change the name of your network (free version must have 'Connectify' in the name) and also share the connection from a 3G dongle in the same way (which isn't available on the 'free' version).

Great bit of Software. http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I am now amazed-2 other M/homes are connected via me as well ::bigsmile: One is about 50yds away and the nearer one is 25yds and in between me and the further one.
Carolyn,sat on other side of table has best signal she has had since being here ::bigsmile:
I'll be looking at the Pro version if it keeps like this.
Mike.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We use a 3 mifi wireless dongle - ÂŁ15 a month, never had issue with coverage and will operate up to 5 devices at the same time with ease - faster than my land based system too!

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hello we use Connectify Pro and in the UK 3 Mifi - both excellent.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Andrew

We have a mifi, but unfortunately no internet providers work here, we are using a friends signal next door which we get with our booster, but need to then share it with Neil.

Pat

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi Andrew

We have a mifi, but unfortunately no internet providers work here, we are using a friends signal next door which we get with our booster, but need to then share it with Neil.

Pat

You should try Connectify - it's a free download and you will be able to have 5 connections. When it starts advertising pop-ups click register and then cancel. This stopped my pop-ups. If you want it to work through a dongle you will need to buy the Pro version ÂŁ30.

Have you watched Breaking Bad yet?

A

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just curious..

I set one up an ad hoc network in the RV and was sharing the internet with two other laptops .. it's easy to set up in Windows.. .. even easier with a Mac

so, what does Connectify do that an ad hoc network doesn't.. or cannot do ?

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Just curious..

I set one up an ad hoc network in the RV and was sharing the internet with two other laptops .. it's easy to set up in Windows.. .. even easier with a Mac

so, what does Connectify do that an ad hoc network doesn't.. or cannot do ?[/QUOTE

My understanding is that you only use Connectify if one L/T is using an external WiFi Booster aerial and then becomes the 'hot spot'.
Your ad hoc network is between L/T's using just their 'built-in' WiFi.
I may be wrong ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My understanding is that you only use Connectify if one L/T is using an external WiFi Booster aerial and then becomes the 'hot spot'.
Your ad hoc network is between L/T's using just their 'built-in' WiFi.
I may be wrong ?

I was sharing a wifi using an ad hoc network with a usb wifi booster aerial .. a Hawking Hi-Gain HWDN3 that I bought in 2007 .

I used on sites when out of normal range of the site wifi.. Using this the range was easily 250mts.. probably more.. and full strength. no other software required.

1021852568.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I was sharing a wifi using an ad hoc network with a usb wifi booster aerial .. a Hawking Hi-Gain HWDN3 that I bought in 2007 .

I used on sites when out of normal range of the site wifi.. Using this the range was easily 250mts.. probably more.. and full strength. no other software required.

1021852568.jpg

Thanks for the info.
Will give the ad hoc network method a try!

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just curious..

so, what does Connectify do that an ad hoc network doesn't.. or cannot do ?

Windows Connection Sharing certainly works, but Connectify makes it much easier for many users and I recommend it on this basis. I've not used Windows ICS for a while, but I never managed to get it to work with our Blackberrys and it was a pain to enable / disable it / swapping sharing source. When it works, it works well. Whatever works for the individual, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. There is some more information on the link below. Connectify uses a different engine to that built into Windows.

I also highly recommend Connectify Dispatch. You can connect to multiple Wi-Fi networks and 3G networks and combine them into one super connection (multiple WiFi adapters required).

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Windows Connection Sharing certainly works, but Connectify makes it much easier for many users and I recommend it on this basis.............

Thanks for that..

Creating an ad hoc on Windows is very easy, only a few steps and your up and running

Step by step guide. http://www.kombitz.com/2009/02/09/windows-7-how-to-create-an-ad-hoc-network/

Or if you prefer, a Youtube tutorial..

http://youtu.be/dtyEaQiOL64

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back