Free/cheap phone calls from around the world (1 Viewer)

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
I have just come across this page from BT (see below) and it seems if you are with BT and have an Iphone you can use it to call from anywhere in the world and get charged the normal cost as if you are phoning from you landline. If you have an inclusive bundles package the calls are included which means they could be free. All you have to do is download the BT SmartTalk app from the itunes store. The calls are best made over WIFI otherwise you pay data charges to your mobile company.
This is the link to the BT page explaining it in full.

PS. It seems it is also available for Android phones from the Google Play website.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Is this any different from VOIP services such as Skyp, Vonage, Facetime etc ?

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bgrr
Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
Is this any different from VOIP services such as Skyp

Re: Is this any different from VOIP services such as Skype ........

I don't suppose so but as I am a BT customer and have free access to their WIFI network through BTfon and hotspots around the world it just seems too good a service not to have with me. It also means I can now use my mobile from home if the home phone is busy but the call will still be treated as a call from my landline.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is pretty much the same as other VoIP systems and also jajah ..

Will take a closer gander to see exactly whats what..

BT have a very nasty obnoxious habit of selling other people's products ( that they get for free the same as everyone else ) as something special.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup... They are pretty much at it again with this so called great offer.

Apart from the bt hot spots ( which has been around for years now ) it is what anyone can do and at either the same cost or maybe even more as Skype and several other VoIP systems...

Jeez.. I really hate BT and their constant promotions of stuff they say THEY are doing for THEIR customers, when it is absolutely nothing special and often more expensive ( by a long chalk ! ) than many other options.. BT bring petty theft to a new level ( purely my personal opinion based on personal experiences you understand ) .....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Re: Is this any different from VOIP services such as Skype ........

Never mind Brian. Nice try, but everything gets put under the microscope in here, especially in the winter when FUN is in short supply.

You could post "What a grand day" and you'll soon get back "Not here it isn't".

All part of FUN.

OP
OP
Bgrr
Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
Never mind Brian. Nice try

Not sure what you mean by nice try. If you think I have anything to do with BT other than being a customer then that is wrong.
If there are better ways to phone for nothing when I am on my travels then I am all ears.

I have looked at Skype and others but to talk to people on their telephone all seems to cost money.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You didn't offend anyone Brian, thanks for sharing the link. Very useful for BT customers :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This looks pretty good to me.

It's different to Skype which needs both parties to be in a wifi zone. This allows you to call uk numbers not Skype addresses.

is there a catch?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
BT Smartalk

Hi Brian

Thank you for the link.

I am not aware that you can with Skype, Vonage or any other system, if connected to wifi use your mobile to phone any UK landline say from Spain or Australia free. The only restriction is it has to be when your BT home deal is free calls.

BT Smartalk does not allow International or premium rate but does allow you to have up to 5 phones associated with your account so our family can call us free whilst abroad.

Seems good and very convenient to me.

Thanks again as every bit of information that makes life more convenient and cheaper is welcome. Maybe some that are less than enthusiastic about your suggestion are not with BT.

Doug

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Brian & :welcome: to the "Fun".
Thanks for the heads-up with the link, I have registered the app on my phone and will do Joyce's today and look forward to giving it a try. :thumb:

One of the best points of the app is that you can call 0800, 0845 numbers for free from your mobile, as being charged by network operators for this service has always annoyed me.

Brian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bgrr
Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
BT SmartTalk

I am pleased some of you have found the link helpful. I thought "JAWS" knew of a better option or could see some nasty catch BT had hidden in the app.

Finally I am no fan of BT. I am with them because as a frequent traveller I use their free wifi hotspots network . Asked for my MAC number in December as I decided to go with O2 and their "The All Rounder" package. BT matched the offer and i went for the Option 2 package down to £10.65 a month plus line rental. Just shows you that BT like most other companies will try and squeeze as much as they can from you unless you haggle.

Better get over to the introductions section and introduce myself properly before more of you think I am BT salesman :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Brian,
I think you should take a gander at the terms and conditions :winky:
It says you are charged ( on your home fone bill ) for calls made...
So not quite as free as it looks to start with with :Sad:

I Have highlighted the bit that makes reference to it:

The app works best over wi-fi, but will also work over any mobile data connection. It allows BT customers to make phone calls whether in the UK or abroad ,[HI] which are billed as if they were calling from their BT home phone[/HI]. BT broadband customers have the added advantage of access to more than 7.5 million hotspots worldwide for free.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Nice find, Brian. Thanks for that, it's going to come in very handy.

:Cool:

OP
OP
Bgrr
Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
But free if you are already on a BT inclusive package.

Hi Brian,
I think you should take a gander at the terms and conditions :winky:
It says you are charged ( on your home fone bill ) for calls made...
So not quite as free as it looks to start with with :Sad:

I Have highlighted the bit that makes reference to it:

I agree that you would be charged if you are not an inclusive package with BT.

As I have free calls evenings and weekends I felt that anyone else with this type of package should not miss this app. Others have pointed out further benefits to me that I had not picked up on. For me a good forum is about sharing what you find and letting others investigate to see if it fits their needs.
Remember folks that the free evenings are 7.00pm to 7.00am UK time and not european so you will need to wait until 8.00pm when over the water.

Happy travels
Brian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what you mean by nice try.

I was apologising for the reception you got to a decent idea. Almost your first post and you got jumped on.

But as I said, badly it seems, any ideas can have a hard time on here, don't be put off, which I see from FUNSTER status ( wear it with pride ) you haven't been put off.

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
BT Smartalk

Hi Brian

It seems lots of Brians on this topic.

Hadn't twigged the 0800 and 0845 numbers via Mobile benefit. Better still.

I am sure some will say that I could get a better deal away from BT however they have resolved any problems, which have been rare, on the phone or broadband immediately. Also when I came to the end of my last contract period they suggested how I could significantly reduce my costs and then offered a further significant reduction as a long standing customer. The net result was an overall reduction of 65%+. Someone is going to suggest I was paying far to much then. I don't think so.

I have had good reliable service from them and it has just got better in the meantime I use Skype etc whenever that is convenient or better.

Doug

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yup... They are pretty much at it again with this so called great offer.

Apart from the bt hot spots ( which has been around for years now ) it is what anyone can do and at either the same cost or maybe even more as Skype and several other VoIP systems...

Jeez.. I really hate BT and their constant promotions of stuff they say THEY are doing for THEIR customers, when it is absolutely nothing special and often more expensive ( by a long chalk ! ) than many other options.. BT bring petty theft to a new level ( purely my personal opinion based on personal experiences you understand ) .....

OK, so if I are not a BT customer how do I use Skype, Viber etc WITHOUT using 3G/4G?
That is the important bit I want to know as I cannot use 3G abroad as part of my inclusive deal & I cannot connect to WiFi without a password.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Just downloaded app to my iPhone.
I have anytime calls with my BT line so I could be quids in!

Thanks Brian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK, so if I are not a BT customer how do I use Skype, Viber etc WITHOUT using 3G/4G?
That is the important bit I want to know as I cannot use 3G abroad as part of my inclusive deal & I cannot connect to WiFi without a password.

Sadly I do not know why you cannot get wifi without a password.. There are plenty of free ones around.. Perhaps I am luckier ?

Mind you, for ages I could never find any free ones... Then suddenly I seem to fall on free ones every where we stop, from lorry parks to cafes to garages, even a bakers shop the other day !

I do not have a SIM card in my iPad yet still seem to use it all the time ::bigsmile:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sadly I do not know why you cannot get wifi without a password.. There are plenty of free ones around.. Perhaps I am luckier ?

Mind you, for ages I could never find any free ones... Then suddenly I seem to fall on free ones every where we stop, from lorry parks to cafes to garages, even a bakers shop the other day !

I do not have a SIM card in my iPad yet still seem to use it all the time ::bigsmile:

Very lucky,I've yet to find one,they're all locked.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the other side of things, for three years during our european travels we never found ANY aires !!
Folk would laugh and say that is impossible :Eeek: But tis true :RollEyes:
Nowadays we cannot seem to move 5 yards without the van almost driving in to one on its own :ROFLMAO:

There is def a lot of luck involved in travelling !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back