Aug 27, 2012
Pleasley.notts.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
25 years
Tom Tom

Thanks very much, all I have to do now is convince myself to buy it. Thanks again. Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife has it on her iphone and I dont think its very good.

Not sure what is wrong with a good old fashioned sat nav myself.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks very much, all I have to do now is convince myself to buy it. Thanks again. Terry

I've recently had the new iPad (with retina display) and find it very good. The IOS6 operating system is good, the wi-fi speed is much faster than my laptop, SIRI voice recognition is amazing with what it will do on voice command, battery life is more than adequate for the whole day, the screen resolution is excellent which makes viewing video and photographs a joy and there is a huge range of apps to play with. I also sync it with my phone so everything stays up to date (e.g. e-mails, calendar etc)

All in - although expensive, I personally think it's worth it.:thumb:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I've recently had the new iPad (with retina display) and find it very good. The IOS6 operating system is good, the wi-fi speed is much faster than my laptop, SIRI voice recognition is amazing with what it will do on voice command, battery life is more than adequate for the whole day, the screen resolution is excellent which makes viewing video and photographs a joy and there is a huge range of apps to play with. I also sync it with my phone so everything stays up to date (e.g. e-mails, calendar etc)

All in - although expensive, I personally think it's worth it.:thumb:

Hi does your system require a network connection ie::bigsmile:ata usage (as I am not familiar with ipad) if so when abroad I imagine this may become expensive?? I use a netbook with a GPS pick-up loaded with MapPoint and auto-route works well but a bit bulkier than ipad but of course is also my pc for skype etc and net wi-fi and mi-fi ,just pondering :Smile:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Hi does your system require a network connection ie::bigsmile:ata usage (as I am not familiar with ipad) if so when abroad I imagine this may become expensive?? I use a netbook with a GPS pick-up loaded with MapPoint and auto-route works well but a bit bulkier than ipad but of course is also my pc for skype etc and net wi-fi and mi-fi ,just pondering :Smile:

It depends which one you get as you can have just wi-fi or at extra cost wi-fi plus 3g (it is capable of 4g). I have both but have not as yet used the 3g - I intend using that when out and about in the van. Depending upon your equipment and service provider, you can also opt to use your phone as an internet hotspot and tether the 2 items so you don't need 3g on the ipad. If going abroad, you could consider a locally supplied chip for the ipad and just buy some data?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ah cheers that I think answers the question Yes you need a service provider ? I also use my phone for mapping in the uk faster than my sat-nav and more detail,but even when low signal coverage but when in France /Spain poor or no detail .GPS dongle £14.99 -New sat-nav £100+ no contest:Smile:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Ah cheers that I think answers the question Yes you need a service provider ? I also use my phone for mapping in the uk faster than my sat-nav and more detail,but even when low signal coverage but when in France /Spain poor or no detail .GPS dongle £14.99 -New sat-nav £100+ no contest:Smile:

You don't have to have a service provider either in the UK or abroad - you could just use local free wi-fi hotspots such as McDonalds etc. Plenty of posts on FUN in the past about that so a search should come up with more info.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have the IPad 2 (as I said in previous post) and have got BT stack GPS 1.7.2 on my IPad and do not need an internet connection when I use TomTom on my IPad (which is wireless only)

Dont know if you can download that on a IPad 3 running IOS 6 (I have IOS 5.1)

Hope that helps.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You don't have to have a service provider either in the UK or abroad - you could just use local free wi-fi hotspots such as McDonalds etc. Plenty of posts on FUN in the past about that so a search should come up with more info.

Yep ok if your static at MacD`s and any other wi-fi hs but not if you are mobile hence gps usb-dongle on net-book cradle mounted on dash 10" Sat-Nav..... free :Smile:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi martin1485, if you have the version with 3/4g it has the Gps chip built in and the TomTom software and pois loads on install so it does not need a data or wifi connection.

The only thing you may want data for is the Trafic Live or to use google.

It provides brilliant split screen for junction view, has clever search functions like go to photo or contacts and I've had free mapping updates from them for the last 3years. It will also load FREE on up to 5 of your other apple iphones etc.

Flaws - the software uses loads of power so keep plugged in while navigating

Don't bother to buy it if you have the wifi only version ipad (no gps chip)

Only went to it as it had more complete mapping on areas like Croatia et. Out of the 5 other Gps systems we use this is the most complete so gets the most use.

Richard

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi martin1485, if you have the version with 3/4g it has the Gps chip built in and the TomTom software and pois loads on install so it does not need a data or wifi connection.

The only thing you may want data for is the Trafic Live or to use google.

It provides brilliant split screen for junction view, has clever search functions like go to photo or contacts and I've had free mapping updates from them for the last 3years. It will also load FREE on up to 5 of your other apple iphones etc.

Flaws - the software uses loads of power so keep plugged in while navigating

Don't bother to buy it if you have the wifi only version ipad (no gps chip)

Only went to it as it had more complete mapping on areas like Croatia et. Out of the 5 other Gps systems we use this is the most complete so gets the most use.

Richard

Thanks that's the type info I was looking for

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
On the advice of another member I bought TomTom for my ipad 2 last summer when we did a European Tour down to Croatia through several different countries.
I found it invaluable as you can put in a destination and then click browse map and it will give you a big map for the whole area, as far as you like so you can get a bigger picture, great for planning, also you can pan in and out to get whats coming up, not avaliable on the ordinary tomtom.
You do not need to be connected to the internet or any service provider to use it.
One off payment and then is updated free so no ongoing costs
You can download it to several items i.e. ipad, iphone - although it is good it not so easy to use on the iphone as it's very small but has got me out of trouble several times when out driving and didn't have tomtom with me!
we still use the tomtom on the dash but i have the tomtom with me to double check and forward plan. You can get cradles to fit them to the dash.
I wouldn't be without it!:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bennyheaven

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
Pleasley.notts.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
25 years
Tom Tom

Many thanks for the info.nice to know it does work ok. Thanks again Terry

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have it on my iPhone 4S and use it when on the scooter, works 100% no problem. I have also used it on the the wifes ipad mini and again 100% perfect.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back