Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Dear all

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Returning back to the van tonight there was a distinct smell of gas. I opened up an air flow and then opened the gas locker to turn the gas bottle off. I could hear a faint leak on the screw in end ( sorry, I'm sure there is a technical term).
I had changed bottles the night before the connection seemed fine. I unscrewed and re screwed the connection, again could still hear a leak. I repeated 4/5 times but was not confident it wasn't leaking..

So I've changed bottles, I can't hear a leak. I'm still new to this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions. Any tips on how to ensure I make a good connection?
I have got a carbon monoxide alarm - not sure if that helps in this case?

Thank you in advance:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dear all

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Returning back to the van tonight there was a distinct smell of gas. I opened up an air flow and then opened the gas locker to turn the gas bottle off. I could hear a faint leak on the screw in end ( sorry, I'm sure there is a technical term).
I had changed bottles the night before the connection seemed fine. I unscrewed and re screwed the connection, again could still hear a leak. I repeated 4/5 times but was not confident it wasn't leaking..

So I've changed bottles, I can't hear a leak. I'm still new to this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.[HI] Any tips on how to ensure I make a good connection?[/HI]
I have got a carbon monoxide alarm - not sure if that helps in this case?

Thank you in advance:thumb:

Yes.

check the face of connection for any marks or scores.. also check the female part on the bottle. any roughness will cause a leak.. If that's ok, tighten the nut by hand, then about another 1/4 turn with a spanner.. make up a solution of water and washing up liquid .. you only need a few drops.. turn on the gas, pour some it over the connection.. watch for soapy bubbles..

If you see bubbles, try tightening just a little more.. but don't over tighten... if it still leaks inspect again .. it's possible to polish out small marks on the the male connection.. but don't use anything too abrasive.. you may need a new pig tail..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Carbon monoxide alarm would not work in this case, you would need a gas alarm,mounted low down as gas is heavier than air.

If its a propane bottle it could be that the connecting face is damaged, and this seems likely as your other bottle is OK. I would take it back to the supplier if nearby and tell them about it and insist they change it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have had 2 faulty 6kg lights recently. When the plastic bung unscrewed the gas was escaping despite the valves being closed.
If it leaks, get it changed.:thumb:

OP
OP
Branston1080

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Top tip

I've tried the washing up liquid test, bubbles to start, another turn on the spanner, no bubbles.

Many thanks, feel happier that I'm not about to gas myself over night!!

You funsters are great:thanks:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i had this with the bottle mounted regulator that came with my van so started to carry a spray bottle in the gas locker with a washing up liquid solution in it to squirt on the connection when changing the bottle.

after a while i changed to a cleese bulkhead mounted regulator and gaslow easy-fit stainless pigtail which has a silicone/rubber seal since then no gas leaks and you dont need a spanner to change the bottle.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Yes.

check the face of connection for any marks or scores.. also check the female part on the bottle. any roughness will cause a leak.. If that's ok, tighten the nut by hand, then about another 1/4 turn with a spanner.. make up a solution of water and washing up liquid .. you only need a few drops.. turn on the gas, pour some it over the connection.. watch for soapy bubbles..

If you see bubbles, try tightening just a little more.. but don't over tighten... if it still leaks inspect again .. it's possible to polish out small marks on the the male connection.. but don't use anything too abrasive.. you may need a new pig tail..

Very good advice couldent of said it better myself.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can buy leak detection fluid in aeresol cans under a fiver at any plumbers merchants

indeed... we used it at work..

.. but if you read the safety data sheet it is hazardous.. goggles and gloves should be worn when using ... water and Fairy is a lot safer.. and a lot cheaper... :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back