First trip abroad, am I on the right lines! (1 Viewer)

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Right, ferry booked through caravan club, Dover Calais
Drive to Ypres, spend 2 nights there
Drive down to trier, in one , passing through Luxembourg for fuel, is that doable
2 nights in trier
Drive up mosel to koblenz, how long will that take at a leisurely rate?
Koblenz , then drive to cologne, 2 nights there
Drive back to Calais in one trip, for the 1800 ferry

Not sorted the fine details out yet, but am I on the right track

Going 14th June for 2 weeks

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Rather you than me, not so much a holiday, moe an endurance test.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The first bit sounds fine..
You can do Calais to Trier in a day and its all free motorway via Belgium.
Trier and the Mosel up to Koblenze is fantastic, lots of places to stay BUT the stellplatzs get a bit thin on the ground after that.
Cant comment further as not been to Cologne.. However i would call it a day at Koblenze and head back.. That gives about 10 days on the Mosel...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Right, ferry booked through caravan club, Dover Calais
Drive to Ypres, spend 2 nights there
Drive down to trier, in one , passing through Luxembourg for fuel, is that doable
stop at Dudlange in the southern tip of Lux, nice free aire there with fresh water and dump point, easy walk into the town and well worth a look.
The site at trier is huge and right on the Mosel, cheap wifi but you do pay for water and for using their WC on top of the camping charge was 7€ last year plus VAT.
2 nights in trier
Drive up mosel to koblenz, how long will that take at a leisurely rate?
Koblenz .
then drive to cologne, 2 nights there
Drive back to Calais in one trip, for the 1800 ferry

no idea about Koblenz but intend going back, for Cologne you will need an umwelt badge (it a low emissions zone) so make sure your van complies and order a badge in advance.
drive back coming south though Luxemburg again some fantatic places to see, refuel again before leaving then on to Metz, be sure to visit the catherdral a reasonable walk from the campsite and superb scenery as you walk there. Free aire outside of the municiple campsite again right next to the moselle (note name change between France and Germany). From there to Calais, could easily be a 3 week trip in total. Don't forget to stop at SuperU to stock up on wine, beer and liqueurs before getting the ferry back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Thanks for replies
So the koblenz to cologne may be too far, it's hard to judge when you've not done it before, and only looking on map

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The Mosel does not need to be rushed, you can just move a few miles per day and stay at some great places..
Tip.... Arrive at the Stellplatz / aires early.. They fill up fast...
At Trier, go into town and the tourist office is right next to the roman gateway.. Can get a nice map of the river in there in English.

Do a search on youtube for trier stellplatz and you will see what is there.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
The Mosel does not need to be rushed, you can just move a few miles per day and stay at some great places..
Tip.... Arrive at the Stellplatz / aires early.. They fill up fast...
At Trier, go into town and the tourist office is right next to the roman gateway.. Can get a nice map of the river in there in English.

Do a search on youtube for trier stellplatz and you will see what is there.. :thumb:

What is the cycling like along the Mosel?

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
For me Ypres to Trier is a long haul at about 250 miles. I'd split that into two days and take it easy. Same with Cologne to Calais - also about 250 miles. I'd be tempted to stop halfway at, say, Antwerp.

The destination is important, but the journey should be relished as well - get the best of both.

John

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sounds ok maybe a touch to far only 1 snag u made and thats to book anything with the caravan club :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Personally I would just amble along and stay where the mood grabs me. That way i wouldn't feel pressured into being somewhere at a set time or day. Just my way.

Craig

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cycling.. FANTASTIC...

Loads of cycle paths all along the river and through the vineyards..
My wife never cycles but even she was tempted over there..
The buses even have cycle carriers attached at the front ... !!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Thanks for thoughts
We won't be booking everything, just turn up and leave when the mood takes us
Will probably leave the cologne visit to another time,it's easy to plan trips on a map, as it dosent look very far:Smile:
It's when it comes to actually driving the route I usually realise I've bitten off more than I can chew
Food for thought anyway, I'll get the map out again

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks for thoughts
We won't be booking everything, just turn up and leave when the mood takes us
Will probably leave the cologne visit to another time,it's easy to plan trips on a map, as it dosent look very far:Smile:
It's when it comes to actually driving the route I usually realise I've bitten off more than I can chew
Food for thought anyway, I'll get the map out again

Think this plan sounds much better, this is the beauty of the motorhome, you move when the mood takes you not because you have to keep to a time table, enjoy your trip. :Smile:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Wildman;704461 for Cologne you will need an umwelt badge (it a low emissions zone) so make sure your van complies and order a badge in advance. [/QUOTE said:
You will need an Umwelt zone badge for most German cities. But you don't have to get one in advance. Once you are over the border into Germany, any dealer for your base vehicle or a TÜV test centre will be able to issue one and it's a lot cheaper than ordering one from here. (We paid €5 in 2010). Make sure you have the V5C registration document with you.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We did Trier last year and spent two nights there.

Great city, especially if you are into Roman History.

We stayed on a stelleplatz - Weingut Gf vin Nell 49.44.21 N/6.39.29E

This is a fantastic site on a working vineyard with a superb local cuisine restaurant. 35 min walk into city, yet in the country.

Looked at the other stelleplatz in Trier it was under a flyover and looked like one of our traveller sites.

Do not do what we did though, make sure you have an empty toilet cassette as there are no emptying facilities on the stelleplatz, this meant we could only stay 2 nights, we would have stayed longer!!!!!

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we stayed on the other site it was massive and next to the flyover, so a campsite rather than a stellplatz. Toilet emptying facilities no problem and a barrier entrance/exit, fresh bread daily nis reastaurant on site and river cruiser stops at a pontoon within the site. Half hour walk across the flyover into town. It is the one in the camperstop book. Excellent site.

Upvote 0

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Caravan Club CC

As UKBILL mentioned, I never book via the CC :Eeek:Much cheaper to go on line direct. We use Tesco vouchers and Chunnel.
Do you have an ACSI book, Aires and Stellplatz books? If not you will find they will save you lots of money.:thumb:
There is a good site in Koblenz but can't recall its name But someone will know It's within walking distance off the city

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You certainly are but be flexible. Get to Koblenz at a leisurely pace then decide. If you don't get as far as Koblenz then you've really enjoyed yourself.

The prettiest part of the Rhine is not far south of Koblenz, I'd suggest going south, stay at Boppard and/or Sankt Goer then down a bit and back to Tier.

A nice two weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Gunner, not got any books yet, looking at the ASCI book, where do I get he stellplatz books from?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back