How's Sicily? (1 Viewer)

Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
Any funsters been to (or are at present on) Sicily? We love Italy, were there last May (En route to Croatia) but have fancied heading further south next time. However, some mhomers we've spoken to have said that S. Italy generally, and Sicily in particular is becoming run-down, threatening, and a bit "Wild West" now that their economic woes are really starting to bite. Any info or thoughts anyone?::bigsmile:riving2:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I think you are worrying unduly.

We are going for a month in May- 20 days on Sicily itself.

From my research there is so much to see and do over there that you will not be disappointed.

Rather than drive the whole of Italy we are catching ferry from Genoa to Palermo, round the island and then the ferry back!

We have cycled extensively in northern and central Italy and are really looking forward to visiting Sicily, me for the historic sites and the OH to see Inspector Motebalano swimming!

When are you thinking of going?

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sicily

Any funsters been to (or are at present on) Sicily? We love Italy, were there last May (En route to Croatia) but have fancied heading further south next time. However, some mhomers we've spoken to have said that S. Italy generally, and Sicily in particular is becoming run-down, threatening, and a bit "Wild West" now that their economic woes are really starting to bite. Any info or thoughts anyone?::bigsmile:riving2:

Well my wife and I drove down through Italy crossed over via the Messina ferry over to Sicily, not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm we found (southern) Sicily very disappointing, poor and generally run down, parts of it quite frankly were filthy, uncollected rubbish every where, dogs scavenging rubbish heaps on the road side and I could go on however, northern Sicily is better, we found the best kept secret of SICILY was a really nice sea side town on the northern west tip called San Vito and a bonus of La Pineta campsite,.....Mondello town was also very nice as was the visit to Agrigento for the the' Valley of the Temples' site, we caught the ferry from Palermo back to Naples as the drive down through southern Italy should be avoided as there is miles of major road works and serious delay's... If the wife and I were to do Sicily again we would cross over from Italy via the Naples/Palermo ferry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Well my wife and I drove down through Italy crossed over via the Messina ferry over to Sicily, not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm we found (southern) Sicily very disappointing, poor and generally run down, parts of it quite frankly were filthy, uncollected rubbish every where, dogs scavenging rubbish heaps on the road side and I could go on however, northern Sicily is better, we found the best kept secret of SICILY was a really nice sea side town on the northern west tip called San Vito and a bonus of La Pineta campsite,.....Mondello town was also very nice as was the visit to Agrigento for the the' Valley of the Temples' site, we caught the ferry from Palermo back to Naples as the drive down through southern Italy should be avoided as there is miles of major road works and serious delay's... If the wife and I were to do Sicily again we would cross over from Italy via the Naples/Palermo ferry

Hi there - thanks for the info...we're planning a trip down to Sicily as well so all this information is very timely!
When did you do your trip? We are leaving UK next week (ish) and going through W France (via friends near Bordeaux) before going along the south coast and into Italy...
Many thanks for and advice about Italy!
happy travels...
Rustie:thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi there - thanks for the info...we're planning a trip down to Sicily as well so all this information is very timely!
When did you do your trip? We are leaving UK next week (ish) and going through W France (via friends near Bordeaux) before going along the south coast and into Italy...
Many thanks for and advice about Italy!
happy travels...
Rustie:thumb:

We left September..Clermont, Montpellier,Genoa, Luccy Pisa, Siena, etc etc

PS, San Vito has just been awarded the No1 Italian beach by Trip Advisor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries