Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have google chrome and IE9 but recently have been plagued with ads appearing and a block of 4 icons, gmail,facebook, twitter and g+ following me around the page getting in the way of me clicking to copy or cut or pasting etc especially on google maps.
I have adblock installed and have pop ups blocked so I was wondering if installing a new browser would stop all this, any tech experts out there?
Please

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would not use either of them. IE because it is plagued by security problems and chrome because its from Google.

I use Firefox as I have done for years without problem. I would certainly uninstall chrome before downloading Firefox using IE and when installing check that you are not installing any extra bits with it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would not use either of them. IE because it is plagued by security problems and chrome because its from Google.

I use Firefox as I have done for years without problem. I would certainly uninstall chrome before downloading Firefox using IE and when installing check that you are not installing any extra bits with it.

Same here

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have google chrome and IE9 but recently have been plagued with ads appearing
Please

Possibly you not the browser to blame. It looks like you have accepted, or failed to un-tick and offer for a toolbar. No matter what browser you have they are out to get you.

Look in "settings" for addons or similar and see if there is anything labelled toolbar that you can zap.

Firefox is good and free, I use it all the time. If you install it it will at least be free of these pests at first and I could point you to where to look if you go buy yourself a toolbar in future.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Trouble is with uninstalling google is I have an android phone with mail and calender synced to my google email, I have looked at toolbars and add ons and nothing is there that I dont want to be there EXCEPT a search engine coming up that I cannot see anywhere nor get rid of called sweetim.com where on earth did that come from?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Trouble is with uninstalling google is I have an android phone with mail and calender synced to my google email, I have looked at toolbars and add ons and nothing is there that I dont want to be there EXCEPT a search engine coming up that I cannot see anywhere nor get rid of called sweetim.com where on earth did that come from?

Try this....

http://www.ehow.com/how_5920366_remove-sweetim-toolbar.html

PS.....

I use Google Calendar on my PC, just search for "google calendar".

I'm using BING for searching because Google spies on us too much.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm using BING for searching because Google spies on us too much.

And you think Microsoft does not? Well, perhaps not as much but I'm pretty sure they are out there watching!

You might care to try this search engine. I have been using it for a few weeks now - seems pretty good:
https://duckduckgo.com/

To the OP - Trish, you might care to search for Sweetim - it's a smileys and fun add-on for social media - also installs a toolbar if you're not looking. Apparently not malicious, but others have reported that it is a b**ger to get rid of.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just downloaded Firefox and I cannot get to my calender or my mail from google, any idea's please?
Oh and I found the toolbar (sorry search enine) sweetim and I uninstalled it, thanks Brian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And you think Microsoft does not? Well, perhaps not as much but I'm pretty sure they are out there watching!

Google are so shameless about it.

You can hit a keyword on here, go into ebay or Amazon and you get the same products offered. It really pisses me off.

That ducky site has to be good to survive with a name like that, I'll have a look.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just downloaded Firefox and I cannot get to my calender or my mail from google, any idea's please?

I use Firefox with my Google account ...

On the Google home screen, www.google.co.uk the tool bar is along the top.. you sign into Google in the box on the top right

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use FF with tracking disabled (options-->privacy-->tracking-->tell web sites I do not wish to be tracked) Also have ghostery installed as an add-on and this seems to do the job for me. No problems accessing google.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've a load of bookmarks listed on my 'Chrome' browser - is there anyway I can 'migrate/copy' them into Firefox?

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
thanks Jim - sorry didn't mean to put your advice down in any way :Smile: Thought I must be doing something wrong! ::bigsmile: I'm a little dim when it comes to computers sometimes.

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
I can highly recommend some free software 'Do Not Track Plus'. Saves a lot of hassle and being plagued with purchasing suggestions once you have visited a website. Very easy to find on Google, it basically stops sites tracking you.

It's blocked over 5,000 tracking attempts in around nine months. Excellent considering it didn't cost me a penny!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back