Jan 14, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm new
Hi,

I have just bought a Ford Transit van conversion. I know nothing about electrics and have read that you need an inverter if you want to use a hair dryer, charge laptops etc.

I am travelling round Europe for a year from May 2013 and on the cold days I want to be able to use a hair dryer. I saw one site mentioned getting a 2100kw Ring inverter so that the power supply is constant.

The van I have does have normal uk plug sockets, one says 12v and one says 240v.

Is an inverter the way to go?

thanks

Zoe

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. and welcome ..

in order to understand we need to do the sums..

a 2100watt inverter on full load will pull 175amps ..

your battery capacity is what ? .. say 85ah .. ? it's useful capaity is 40ah

that means it can in theory supply 1amp for 40hrs .. or 40amps for 1 hour .. 80 amps for 30 mins ... 160 amps for 15 mins

so how long would it last pulling 175 amps ... less than 15mins and it would be kaput

that is just theory.. in actual practice it would be dead long before that, leisure batteries can't provide a high current for a long time,they are designed for small currents (amps) over long periods..

so in answer to your question.. if you want to charge phones, cameras etc ... buy either a small 150watt inverter.. or a 12v adapter with a selectable DC output and tips to suit your toys.. that is more efficient than an inverter.

Forget using an inverter to provide space heating.. ie hair dryer or fan heater .. gas is the best way to heat the van unless you are on a site electrical hook up ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Nothing like disagreeing;:Smile:

I do use an inverter to run a hairdrier (and a toaster and in summer an electric kettle)

I have 2 125Ah batteries with a 1.5Kw inverter (Max current around 150A). This is enough to run a travel hairdrier (1200w) and while doing so will draw around 100A.
My batteries will theoretically run the hairdryer for half an hour but it only takes less than 5 mins to dry Shirleys hair (and even less for mine!) so at worst we are using 17Ah a day.

In addition my solar panels will replace the lost charge at the worst in four hours and at the best in less than an hour. So perfectly practical as long as you either have adequate solar or a BtoB charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I do use an inverter to run a hairdrier (and a toaster and in summer an electric kettle)

I have 2 125Ah batteries with a 1.5Kw inverter (Max current around 150A). This is enough to run a travel hairdrier (1200w) and while doing so will draw around 100A.
My batteries will theoretically run the hairdryer for half an hour but it only takes less than 5 mins to dry Shirleys hair (and even less for mine!) so at worst we are using 17Ah a day.

In addition my solar panels will replace the lost charge at the worst in four hours and at the best in less than an hour. So perfectly practical as long as you either have adequate solar or a BtoB charger.

ok.. scrub my last post .. it's all tosh

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
ok.. scrub my last post .. it's all tosh

Not trying to say that at all, everything in your reply is correct, but there are ways round it.:thumb:
and even I have not found a practical way to run a fan heater, though it will run off the inverter you won't keep warm for long!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not trying to say that at all, everything in your reply is correct, but there are ways round it.:thumb:

given that we don't know what size of battery the OP has, nor did he mentioned a solar panel.. and more importantly has no knowledge of electrics .. I thought my advice sound..

yes.. you can do it with a large battery bank and solar .. I was trying to keep it simple for him.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have run 2 systems in the in the past to run a hairdryer from an inverter.
System 1 was a large inverter hotwired into its own separate battery completely separate from the house batteries and charged by a Cetek relay from any excess that the solar bank produced. This way the house batteries are not compromised.

System 2 is what am running now, which is a 1.5kw pure sine inverter which is built into the MH and hotwired through a shunt and driven by a 330 amp battery bank. This system runs to all plug sockets when not on hookup and is only used sparingly for occasional microwave and hairdryer use. All other items ie, laptop,phone TV etc are run directly from 12 volt.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
System 2 is what am running now, which is a 1.5kw pure sine inverter which is built into the MH and hotwired through a shunt and driven by a 330 amp battery bank. This system runs to all plug sockets when not on hookup and is only used sparingly for occasional microwave and hairdryer use. All other items ie, laptop,phone TV etc are run directly from 12 volt.

This too is my system with the addition of a relay to allow to be plugged in to electrics and shift power from one to the other.

I dont have hair, so need for a hairdryer, but i have noticed that Nikki is always walking around with clean dry hair. However, when you cure one problem you invent another. Its the straighteners that are giving us a problem now :Angry:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
given that we don't know what size of battery the OP has, nor did he mentioned a solar panel.. and more importantly has no knowledge of electrics .. I thought my advice sound..

yes.. you can do it with a large battery bank and solar .. I was trying to [HI]keep it simple for him[/HI].

And you did Jim, very well explained too. I'll bet Zoe loves being referred to as "Him". :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheapest I can find the RING 2100 inverter is £207 add an extra battery say £80 then £200 for solar that's almost 500 quid to dy hair :Eeek: ever heard of a towel ::bigsmile:
You could save £200 by runnibg the engine whislt drying and doing away with the solar :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
"The van I have does have normal uk plug sockets, one says 12v and one says 240v."

Sooooo - are these sockets the same type marked 12 and 240? If so, do you have both 12 volt and 240 volt appliances with the same plug?

I do not know what will happen when you accidentally plug the 240 volt appliance into the 12 volt socket but when you put the 12 volt appliance plug in the 240 volt socket I would not want to be parked next to you!!!!

Welcome to the site; all advice offered is good and is from the poster's experience so works for them but we all have different needs hence some of us have VWs and some have RVs! Keep asking and enjoy your new purchase.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

But what good is this if you have a bog standard system with only one 85 Ah battery and no solar panel? Also I cannot see the significance of a B2B charger. What other battery are you using to charger the depleted battery?

Surely it is better to get a much smaller inverter plus 12V supply for computer and battery charger,

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
But what good is this if you have a bog standard system with only one 85 Ah battery and no solar panel? Also I cannot see the significance of a B2B charger. What other battery are you using to charger the depleted battery?

Surely it is better to get a much smaller inverter plus 12V supply for computer and battery charger,

The idea of the B2B charger is to get a high output from the engine alternator to more rapidly recharge the leisure batteries. A simple solution if you don't/can't increase your battery capacity is to wire the inverter directly to the vehicle battery and only use high usage items such as a hairdrier (which was what the OP wanted to use) with the engine running, it only needs to be for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zoet

Free Member
Jan 14, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm new
thanks

Thanks for your advice. The main issue is the hair drying... I would towel dry it but we're going to be in Norway when its cold and so I need to be able to dry it properly as its long.

I have checked on my travel hair dryer and you can change the voltage on it so I think I should be able to actualy use it in the 240v socket... I dont understand any of this so I'll get someone to check before I try it.

So for the rest of the stuff, laptop, camera and phones, I can use the 12 v plug? Which means I dont need an inverter? Our heating is gas.

thanks

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for your advice. The main issue is the hair drying... I would towel dry it but we're going to be in Norway when its cold and so I need to be able to dry it properly as its long.

I have checked on my travel hair dryer and you can change the voltage on it so I think I should be able to actualy use it in the 240v socket... I dont understand any of this so I'll get someone to check before I try it.

So for the rest of the stuff, laptop, camera and phones, I can use the 12 v plug? Which means I dont need an inverter? Our heating is gas.

thanks

Just as a point of interest, you say you are going to Norway when its cold. At what time of year would this be as having travelled extensively in Norway if you are thinking of going in a Transit van conversion in winter, drying your hair would be right at the bottom of your list of priorities.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have checked on my travel hair dryer and you can change the voltage on it so I think I should be able to actualy use it in the 240v socket...

Hi Zoe. You can use the 240v socket for your hairdryer if you're on hook-up. If not, you'll need an inverter to convert 12v from the batteries to 240v. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can use a 12v plug for anything you have the [HI]correct voltage adapter [/HI]for. 12v charge leads are available for most things on ebay. There is a certain naivety in your posts that make elf and safety people shudder. There is a difference between 12v and 240v and the difference could be a matter of life and death literally.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I dont understand any of this so......
thanks

Basically you don't understand Motor Home.

If you start to accept that there are huge limitations in a Motor Home it will make life much easier. OK you can be bloody minded and demand the MH complies with your wishes but you'll never ever achieve "Home".

The endless debate on here......

I demand a long shower twice a day, why do I run out of water ?

I demand hairdryer ( very common ) where do I put the extra batteries ?

I demand a microwave, why is my food cold but my battery boiling ?

My toilet fills up too quickly, where can I by more cassettes ?

Cooperate with the van, don't fight it. Be gentle with it.

Failing that the only option is, dare I say it, buy an RV.

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you are using a camp sites and are hooked up to mains (EHU) then you will be able to use your hairdryer without issue. Europe is in the main 230V so you should not have to change the voltage. Always wise to check of course.

Your 12 Volt system is fed from your on board leisure battery, so should be available at all times. Obviously you will need to keep a check on the voltage to make sure you are not over using it. If you are travelling frequently or on hook up to mains they generally this with recharge the leisure battery. You have a conversion so best to check this is the case.

Your mains sockets will only work if you are on hook up or if you have had a inverter fitted to power these sockets off grid (e.g. not on hook up). In general inverters are only fitted to high end spec’d vans with the battery capacity to handle them or have been added by owners.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There is a lot to learn once you take the plunge into motorhoming, and this forum is the best place to find out things, just don't expect it to be too simple.
Wildman (Roger) is holding a 12v training rally at his place in Devon in August (see rallies on this site) which is dirt cheap. If you attend that you will know a lot more.

Basically you don't understand Motor Home.

If you start to accept that there are huge limitations in a Motor Home it will make life much easier. OK you can be bloody minded and demand the MH complies with your wishes but you'll never ever achieve "Home".

The endless debate on here......

I demand a long shower twice a day, why do I run out of water ? [HI]A short shower can get you just as clean.[/HI]

I demand hairdryer ( very common ) where do I put the extra batteries ? [HI]I have a hairdrier but you do need space for extra batteries.[/HI]

I demand a microwave, why is my food cold but my battery boiling ?[HI] Much the same reason as the hairdrier, it can be done but not absolutely simple or cheap.
[/HI]
My toilet fills up too quickly, where can I by more cassettes ? - [HI]Johns Cross, I do have a spare in case of emergency - never had to use it yet.[/HI]

Cooperate with the van, don't fight it. Be gentle with it.

Failing that the only option is, dare I say it, buy an RV[HI] These are even more complex[/HI].

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi,

. I know nothing about electrics (snip)

Is an inverter the way to go?

thanks

Zoe

Thanks for your advice. ....

thanks

Hi .. and welcome ..

so in answer to your question.. if you want to charge phones, cameras etc ... buy either a small 150watt inverter.. or a 12v adapter with a selectable DC output and tips to suit your toys.. that is more efficient than an inverter.

yes... as I advised in the first reply ... look on ebay or Maplins for a suitable 12vdc to variable/selectable dc adaptor with a selection of charging tips.. look for one which also has a usb socket for charging cameras etc.. . even easier..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi zoe I think you are getting the idea that you can use your HD on hook up and you need the inverter for none hook up situations ::bigsmile:
You are plainly going to need at least one extra leisure battery just to share the load and avoid killing a single battery.
You need to check that your van has a split relay and it charges your L/B while the engine is running :thumb: that way you can run the engine whilst hair drying so it does not deplete your batteries too much, or if you are going on a drive to shops or another site etc that will put charge back into your batteries:thumb:
See how you get on and if needed add a 3rd battery before spending on solar pans :winky: I think with 2 batteries and the split charge relay (about 15 quid) you will get along fine:thumb:
Terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back