chrisVials

Free Member
Jan 11, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Self conversion
Exp
Sorry to bore you but I guess this has been asked many times.

Does anyone know where I can get cover for my son who is 22.

Thankyou

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
To drive what?

Does his licence cover whatever it is in the first place?

To add to parent's cover or separate?

Difficult job - however you answer though. Personally, dunno actually.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to bore you but I guess this has been asked many times.

Does anyone know where I can get cover for my son who is 22.

Thankyou

Only from experience about 10 yrs ago --nobody would insure our son under 25 :Eeek: not sure if anything has changed :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Further to last post I think we got around it by him driving on his own policy third party bit allowing him to drive vehicle with owners permission :thumb:NOT much good if he had smashed the van but hey ho it did it at the time
terry

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Safeguard happily provide insurance for under 25's - but they are one of the few that will.

My girlfriend was on our policy when she was just 19, no problems at all for a 3 month drive around Europe. She's now 23 and the motorhome is in her name - the policy is cheaper then our car! ::bigsmile:

Alternatively, Aviva Union 'day insurance' will cover motorhomes to under 25's borrowed or hired.

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
My son is 19 and one of the youngest HGV class 1 drivers in the country. His car insurance remains astronomical. Safeguard etc refuse to insure him for my motorhome as its a group 4 vehicle. I have tried several insurance companies with no joy until he is 21 despite him driving 44 tons every working day of his life :Doh:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My son is 19 and one of the youngest HGV class 1 drivers in the country. His car insurance remains astronomical. Safeguard etc refuse to insure him for my motorhome as its a group 4 vehicle. I have tried several insurance companies with no joy until he is 21 despite him driving 44 tons every working day of his life :Doh:

We had a Compass Suntor as our first van. I was the main driver and Sophie was number 2 aged 19 - no issues at all. Perhaps things have changed? I know that she had to be 21 to be the main driver (as she is now).

Aviva will give temporary insurance for him to drive with any luck. I don't think driving qualifications enter into it, unfortunately.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Safeguard happily provide insurance for under 25's - but they are one of the few that will.

My girlfriend was on our policy when she was just 19, no problems at all for a 3 month drive around Europe. She's now 23 and the motorhome is in her name - the policy is cheaper then our car! ::bigsmile:

Alternatively, Aviva Union 'day insurance' will cover motorhomes to under 25's borrowed or hired.

I rang Safeguard this morning as my daughter (22) would like to drive our MH. They do not insure under 25's :Sad: Will try Aviva

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if helps anyone but I have always had good service from Nfu mutual , not the cheapest by any means , but they usually have offices in most towns and you can go and talk to someone.
Broken Link Removed this is the Internet link if you want to have a look. Must say though I'm not with them for mh insurance as saga was £200 cheaper but that is no good for someone 22

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
coop ins service used to be good or prudential . my lads used them . think pru was best as it allowed them to drive other folks vehicles as well .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

just wondering how that is possible when the minimum cat C+E age is 21.

or did he pass his test in the armed forces ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the young lgv drivers scheme as been around awhile now . set up skills for logisticsin conjunction with the dft, road haulage association ,and the freight transport association ..its more involved than just driving with other aspects of haulage being part of it .
but anyway credit to op son . well done .

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I rang Safeguard this morning as my daughter (22) would like to drive our MH. They do not insure under 25's :Sad: Will try Aviva

That's news to me, our motorhome is in Sophie's name - she was 23 when we took out the policy and me 27.

Our last vans were in my name and Sophie as a named driver when she was as young as 19. Always with Safeguard.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well they change their minds on a whim, don't they?

Yesterday Pete rang a couple of insurers to see if our renewal premium was about right as it was. (It was) One asked him ALL the questions and lastly the value. Once he said the amount they said they'd need a Thatcham Cat 1 immob or a Tracker in order to quote.

So why not ask that FIRST then? LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back