Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
have had my tom Tom XL for some years now and have never updated:whatthe: it .
How can I X check that I am up to date and if not how do I do it and how much will it cost to rectify:Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
tomtom recently fell out with google maps so chinese mapping is now included (I believe but stand to be corrected), until this is sorted I personally would stick with the outdated maps that were correct when installed. Not use a map that puts the Falklands in the scilly Isles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Nah, leave it there, then we we have to go give the Argies a spanking again, the lads need only be away for the weekend.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
How can I X check that I am up to date and if not how do I do it and how much will it cost to rectify:Eeek:

to update, connect your tomtom device to your computer via usb and download tomtom home from their website for free. at the very least download the gpsquickfix file as this corrects the sattelite coordinates. updating maps, you often get offers to update for £39 and then speed cameras are another £10

seriously consider buying a new unit though as the battery and screen only have a limited lifespan. sods law, you pay to update the maps and next week the satnav fails leaving you with an expensive paperweight

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You have to ask yourself are dedicated Satnav units a thing of the past as there are numerous 7" Android based tablets with good GPS chipsets and free or low cost Satnav applications.

Do research before you commit to paying for a new unit or silly money to update.

Steve

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
and can you stick the 7" tablet on the dashboard?

Catherine

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In this instant Piratebay is your friend. Or so am told.

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I believe that the Tomtom free map updates offer for life has been extended to the end of March.

This may have a bearing on things if you are looking to change.

The Tomtom website has all the details.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I thought it was Apple that fell out with Google and thought Tresco was in the Falklands? so it was the SatNav on the i-phone oe i-pad whatever, that cocked up rather than Tom?

klyne

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp

Gunner

You should really update it as there are bound to have been some software updates which help to find the satellites, these are generally free. You will need to download TomTom Home or My TomTom depending on the age of the device. All instructions are on the TomTom webpage. Whether you update the maps is another issue although if its been 'some years' they are bound to be out of date although I don't update mine every year. I suppose it depends whether you intend to keep this sat nav, if it was your intention to buy a new one in the near future I would leave the maps and put the money towards the new one.

David

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I believe that [HI]the Tomtom free map updates offer for life has been extended to the end of March.[/HI]

This may have a bearing on things if you are looking to change.

The Tomtom website has all the details.

[HI]A short life[/HI] :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back