water/electric hookups (1 Viewer)

F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Hi all, was just wondering what water supply/waste/electric hookup is generally like in the UK?

In the US all campsites we have been to have a water/electric hookup next to the pitch. Most also have sewage disposal next to the pitch (you have to pay a bit more, but is a lot less hassle than moving the RV or transporting the waste water to a dump station) or you can pay to have someone come to the RV and empty the tank.

A lot of sites also have cable TV hookup and wi-fi internet access.

Was just wondering if we are spoiled here in the US with all these amenities, or if we can expect the same kind of thing in the UK?

Thanks!

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes you are spoiled but what we call serviced pitches, those with water, drainage and electricity are on the increase both in the UK but even more so in Europe. You might need to book ahead to get these though.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Some of the sites we've been on offer a "super" pitch which give you most, if not all of the amenities you mention.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
In my experience
the larger camping club sites do have the odd super pitch as they call it, but thin on the ground, the vast majority have no more than hook up for electric, as for dumping, many say they have RV dumping points but most dont appear to have seen an RV dump, or understand that S**T dont run up hill, one of the last sites we went on last year was very proud of the fact he has constructed a purpose built drive on RV dump point, he had spent hundreds of pound on concrete and drains plus the Lord knows how many man Hrs, the only fault I could find with it was the drain was dead centre of the concrete slab and not accessible when you drove onto the slab, he had failed to notice that RVs empty from the drivers side not the middle
Welcome to our fun Forum
Geo

Upvote 0

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi furminger family

i find that with a bit of pre-planning, and plenty of hose, that we usually don't have to move for filling with water and emptying the grey tank. i carry 5 (yes five!) hoses to ensure there is always plenty of water for SWMBO to have long showers, and use a macerator with about 50 feet of 1 1/4 inch hose to empty the grey tank.

I choose a pitch close enough to a grey water disposal point for this to reach, which is usually possible. of course, the black tank lasts for quite a long time; so far always long enough for our stay on site, so we empty that when leaving.

electricity may be a problem for you, as uk (and more so continental) sites don't supply the same amperage as US ones. but nearly all sites in the uk, at least, have electricity on the pitch.

des

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
HOLD ON HOLD ON

If Iread your post properly it says some one to come and take the waste away for you:

Only in america:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Yes Haganap.....you did read it right! :roflmto:

Hey, there's a career change opportunity for you...you already know how to handle a big hosepipe, just a simple case of sucking instead of blowing :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Yup, and we also have someone on arrival drive in front of us in a golf cart to show us to our pitch & help us back in. Also they deliver firewood, and pick up trash every morning if left outside the camper. Seriously. ::bigsmile: Do I have a bit of a shock coming to me when I start camping in the UK? :Eeek:

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
No, no, no, no - you haven't got a shock waiting for you, no, not at all!!!!!!

If you have straight black/brown hair just at the moment - get used to the idea of curly grey hair instead - it's just a different way of life!!!!!!!

Let's just say, you are going to join the real world - where poo smells - and there is no magic wand to wave it away. :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi some do tend to be a bit tight. I had almost as much room at the back, definitely not for RV's :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• campsite international cologne2.jpg
    campsite international cologne2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 107
  • campsite international cologne1.jpg
    campsite international cologne1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
If I were you, and given the choice Jon, I would stay in the States......far more civilised :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
If I read your post properly it says some one to come and take the waste away for you

It's called a honey wagon ::bigsmile: A small tanker with a pump and a long hose that has the right fitting on the end to hook up to the dump valve on an RV.

Here's another version:

Attachments

• 9413%20001.jpg
    9413%20001.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Next time I try to get Jan to drag the BlueBoy I'll remember to call it The Honey Wagon never know I might have a better chance of getting her to do it :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Lindy - we feel the same way, but sadly I don't have a choice :Sad: I go where my emplyer wants me to go - thought we'd be here a bit longer, but it's not to be. There is some talk of us being sent to Berlin for a couple of years, which would be kind of cool. Especially if we can take our MH ::bigsmile: which I am sure we can work out. Lots of cool places to go visit around there, I'm sure.

Anyways, we are resigned to coming back - just need to put a few more miles on the MH and see some of this country before we return across the pond. Might be going to Texas over Easter - that is one heck of a drive! :Eeek: Now where'd I put that 10-gallon hat...? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Seriously. ::bigsmile: Do I have a bit of a shock coming to me when I start camping in the UK? :Eeek:

Errrrrr......yes.

Pump price of fuel here costs between $2.15 - 2.23 per litre.
So bring wads of dosh or plenty of credit cards. You will need it.

Water supply and who cleans your bog out is the least of your problems in this 'developing' nation of ours.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I reckon you are in for a shock here in Blighty:RollEyes:

We have hired an RV in USA and Canada and love the pull thru pitches and facilities.

You will find things more backwards here though there are sites offering Super Pitches but that mostly doesn't include dumping of toilet waste!! Although I might be out of touch as I mostly tour in France and that on Aires and not proper camp sites.

Good Luck :winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back