Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Looking ahead to my first trip to France I'm wondering what I'll need over there that's different to what we use here? Or is there anything that you need for Touring abroad that you don't at home?
For example, do you use the same hook up lead? Or is there a continental one ?
All thoughts or recommendations welcomed.
Regards Vlad .

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Much easier not to go there. I've heard its rubbish anyway.:winky:

Peter (below) has outlined what additional items you will need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Yes 2 pin adaptors, polarity tester, breatherlizers 2, high vis jackets for all in the van, warning triangles , first aid kit, plenty of euros for the motorways lol if you use them, watch out for hidden cameras tce, and enjoy. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No need to use toll motorways. First class national and secondary roads. Best way to enjoy France is to buy ALL THE AIRES IN FRANCE and just take your time.ENJOY. BUSBY.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
France is great,
roads and way of life like it was here in the 60`s.
Can`t wait to get back there:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
And if you want to have a go on an aire ... and want to be left in peace, try to find a parking place right at the end of the line... at least if one of these stupid locals sneaks in between you and the next van, you will be on your own on one side..... these french:RollEyes::RollEyes: ... better avoid them, they could spoil your hols I'm telling you!!:Doh:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
No need to use toll motorways. First class national and secondary roads. Best way to enjoy France is to buy ALL THE AIRES IN FRANCE and just take your time.ENJOY. BUSBY.

Yep, seconded. And I'd add France Passion to that.

Bon voyage!

Steve :Smile:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Seeing as I lasted 2 weeks off hookup in Scotland with my solar pannels a fortnight in France should be a doddle! The reason I want to use a couple of sites is for the facilities as I have 2 children and they love swimming and dancing at night.Does anyone know if you get cheaper pitches without hookup as you do here.All this talk of reverse polarity and additional leads is making me realise I don't really need them.
Vlad.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
So, in a nutshell then, use the tolls as they are much quieter and faster. Don't use Aires as they are nothing more than a car park for motorhomes. Use proper campsites and put something back into the economy.
Have a good trip.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
So, in a nutshell then, use the tolls as they are much quieter and faster. Don't use Aires as they are nothing more than a car park for motorhomes. Use proper campsites and put something back into the economy.
Have a good trip.

Don't take me wrong , I am not attacking you in anyway , just giving another point of view.

Aires are decided by the mairie of the Municipality. If you let them empty , then it means taxes have been paid for nothing by the citizens of the concerned town, and the shops around won't get any benefit.
If there is a campsite and an aire, then check if the campsite is municipal because in this case .... it's the same purse the money will go in.
If it's a private campsite , then you might consider you're helping ... but not THE economy ... only one person .... the owner! You will help the economy wherever you stay if you go into the shops , in cafés , restaurants, snacks, etc... :thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Not all Aires are carparks for Motorhomes.
Some are green fields with lakes.
And dont forgetin France you will be welcome with yourMotorhome.
No body trying to charge you to park for more than two hours on a parking.{motorway rest area}.

Enjoy it and have a good trip.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you use Aires it's worth having jerrycans for drinking water and grey water if you don't want to get caught in queues at service points. Also a pair of drain lifting handles can be handy if you need to lift a grid to empty the loo cartridge inoffensively.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something I do not think that has been mentioned, is the requirement for a set of spare bulbs..

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Don't take me wrong , I am not attacking you in anyway , just giving another point of view.

Aires are decided by the mairie of the Municipality. If you let them empty , then it means taxes have been paid for nothing by the citizens of the concerned town, and the shops around won't get any benefit.
If there is a campsite and an aire, then check if the campsite is municipal because in this case .... it's the same purse the money will go in.
If it's a private campsite , then you might consider you're helping ... but not THE economy ... only one person .... the owner! You will help the economy wherever you stay if you go into the shops , in cafés , restaurants, snacks, etc... :thumb:

Amicalement

Hear hear, very well put.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I stayed on some nice municipal sites last summer. All the people were nice and facilities clean.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Now you must be totally confused with the bull poo that has been given to you.

Most of the French aires are superb, not all free, but so many have fresh water and loo emptying facilities, usually free, altough you may have to pay between nought and seven euros per night to stay.

Toll roads is your choice yes there are very good N routes to avoid them but again it is not all a saving as fuel economy and less wear and tear is the result of using the toll roads to offset the cost.

It is just about the easiest country to drive in that we have ever encountered due to very quiet roads.

If you want to be perfect then take :-

emergency triangle X 2
Hi vis jackets one per passenger
set of spare bulbs
breathaliser kit---not yet essential
possibly an adapter for a gas bottle ---ask later
all the aires book
Oh and original log book ans insurance documents

It is odds on you will need none of the above but better safe than sorry

I will take a bet that you will enjoy it just so much you will be as enthusiastic about it as we are -----yes it is that good and easy

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Motor homing in France

Beautiful country, open roads and totally stress free once you have cleared major towns and cities.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the advice thus far,I plan to head down to an area near the Dordogne and am thinking of an overnight stop on an aire. We then plan to spend 4 or 5 days with family before heading for the coast and following it north for a further 16 day or so.We plan to use a mixture of aires and sites and kids would like to find a site with a water park(suggestions please)
As far as Autoroutes go I'm not a fan,ill use them to try to get there in 2 days.On the long meander home I'd prefer to use the long tree lined roads stopping at the villages as we go,enjoying the fresh bread and cakes from the patisserie.These are fond memories I have from my holidays as a youngster and I hope to re create for my own kids.
Can't wait!
Vlad the excited.

Ps I assume 2gas bottles in summer should last 2 ish weeks.

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Be very suprised if you can use two gas bottles in two weeksish we have just done 8 weeks in Spain on 11Kg and it is not empty yet I guess it all depends on how much you use your fridge off hook up.

If you worry get an adapter off Gaslow and then you can use it on a French le cube but very doubtful if you will need it.

Just get out there and ENJOY

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ps I assume 2gas bottles in summer should last 2 ish weeks.
As said ... We use 1 11k bottle from may to October.. and that includes a whole lot of 'off the grid camping, and 8 weeks touring Europe :thumb:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Seeing as I lasted 2 weeks off hookup in Scotland with my solar pannels a fortnight in France should be a doddle! The reason I want to use a couple of sites is for the facilities as I have 2 children and they love swimming and dancing at night.Does anyone know if you get cheaper pitches without hookup as you do here.All this talk of reverse polarity and additional leads is making me realise I don't really need them.
Vlad.
don't worry about reverse polarity to much I have never experienced it yet using many sites across France (I do have a short conversion lead made up if needed) you will need a French plug to female blue socket (only around a fiver) and most sites have the same site sockets as us......also many will lend you the the lead.:thumb: get yourself a acsi card if you are going out of season (July/Aug.) this gives you fixed price sites at e11/e13/e16 enjoy:thumb:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
France is a damn sight more MH friendly than this country and you will be welcomed everywhere by the French.

Costs of staying overnight range from zero to a maximum of €10 if you stay on Aires.

Campsites will be considerably more, certainly not free, and you will double or treble your costs by staying on them but they will provide more facilities such as shops, showers and eating establishments.

The holiday check list below is quite extensive but we have never taken items such as BBQ equipment but the seasoned traveller may well take and use them.

Access to Aires are usually by Credit/Debit cards but you may need Jetons, metal discs to activate the Bornes that provide water and electricity, which are usually obtained from places such as the local Tabac.

Some Municipal Aires, Equihen Plage for example, have a guy collect the money (€5) each morning.

Driving in France is a doddle and unless you're in a blazing hurry then use the 'normal' roads which are adequate and free.

Take a variety of water connections, a male/male is useful at some Bornes (Le Portel is one), and then you won't get caught out by the variations of water connections in France.

And don't forget your Passport!

Attachments

• Holiday Check List 3.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 75
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we went to france for the first time last may back again in october its beutifull the coast near bordeaux is stunning miles of beach and clean white atlantic breakers lots of campsite along this stretch mostly shut when we went in october but all looked well kept
aires are a mixed bag anywhere popular or built up they can be a bit carpark like indeed many we stopped on when travelling were carparks but then we stayed on some beutifull river and lake side aires and some with beutifull views the dearest was 12 euros no electric on the camargue ,the cheapest was free with free electric out side a railway station near carcasonne
we use the sat nave to tell us the difference in time distance between using the a roads or the toll roads and decide which is better no point using the tolls if it only saves 15mins and 10km but worth it if it saves a hundred kms or time
theres lots of differnces in the way things work in france most petrol stations have at least one pump that takes cards the other pumps are aranged that to leave you have to go to a pay kiosk remember to note the number of the pump youve used
some supermarkets when buying loose stuff like fruit and veg have scales near the items that you use and fix your own price tag on before you go to the checkout
we keep the sat nav on all the time calibrated in kms so we can see speed at a glance ours even reminds us to drive on the right everytime it fires up which is good as its easy to forget
we find its the little stops on small quiet rds where its easiest to drive of on the wrong side ive seen some very suprised 2cv drivers
whole place is very relaxed some of the small cities are beautiful have fun

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi vlad

Sounds like you want to do similar to what we do and like you have kids well one and her friend, we have been to the dordonge area a couple of time both at sites and aires so might be able to help a little. What age are your kids might be able to recommend a couple of sites for you, our daughter is now 15 but been going to France since 9 so have a variety of places she likes. She actually like some of the aires better than campsites, we have stayed on aires where you can go kayaking and rock climbing also some next to the local swimming pool so no need for a site saying that they where in different area from where. You want To go.

As for gas we only take a 6k bottle with us for up to 4 weeks and use for BBQ and Fridge and we always come back with loads left as dont need any for heating.
Have you got the aires book if not get one, as mentioned France passion is good but you have to think if your only going for 2 weeks in the year is it worth it. We used it one year and loved it Sophie made friends with the daughter of one of the site owners and got rouse their private pool while we sat with the parents having a beer.
Gerry

Charlie Caine

Free Member
Jan 7, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Sunseeker
Exp
France Tip

Hi Vlad,

If you take your Calor gas bottles over there and run out, remember, they don't sell Calor gas bottles... So, you would have to pay for an extra bottle + deposit on the bottle... Just a thought... Good luck and drive safe

Charlie Caine :Cool:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Oh, Frankie, that's a bit OTT!
Quote: If it's a private campsite , then you might consider you're helping ... but not THE economy ... only one person .... the owner! Unquote

Where do you think we spend the money we receive from our guests? In the local economy, of course. We have a french electrician who ensures that our electrics are spot on (and not reverse polarity); we buy from the local boulanger every day (their van comes to the site to provide a service for our guests), and we buy from our local shops as well as eating and drinking in our local bar/restaurant. We have just installed new serviced pitches, and as with the original works on site it was local workmen that we used.

We are open all year, so we do not have time to spend much other than here in the Limousin, and we like to think that our guests boost the local economy - certainly our maire and council believe that we do this - they love us and the business we have brought in during our seven years here.

So please, don't damn all site owners - we here are a living part of our local village and a worthwhile part of the local economy. Our Funster guests - thankfully quite a few each year - get a price that not just matches ACSI's 16€ but gives them a discount on the price, which includes 16A ehu. And they're not on an aire where they are jammed in with others, but have room to enjoy their stay, as you know from your stay here.

We love you, Frankie, but please be fair.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Oh, Frankie, that's a bit OTT!
Quote: If it's a private campsite , then you might consider you're helping ... but not THE economy ... only one person .... the owner! Unquote

Where do you think we spend the money we receive from our guests? In the local economy, of course. We have a french electrician who ensures that our electrics are spot on (and not reverse polarity); we buy from the local boulanger every day (their van comes to the site to provide a service for our guests), and we buy from our local shops as well as eating and drinking in our local bar/restaurant. We have just installed new serviced pitches, and as with the original works on site it was local workmen that we used.

We are open all year, so we do not have time to spend much other than here in the Limousin, and we like to think that our guests boost the local economy - certainly our maire and council believe that we do this - they love us and the business we have brought in during our seven years here.

So please, don't damn all site owners - we here are a living part of our local village and a worthwhile part of the local economy. Our Funster guests - thankfully quite a few each year - get a price that not just matches ACSI's 16€ but gives them a discount on the price, which includes 16A ehu. And they're not on an aire where they are jammed in with others, but have room to enjoy their stay, as you know from your stay here.

We love you, Frankie, but please be fair.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Sorry Bob ...I was not condemning the private camspistes at all ! Just pointing out that staying on aires doesn't mean at all you don't make the local economy work, as Nirvanuk seemed to think, and as a matter of fact I was much more considering the big campsites. The ones which just make money on everything .. clients and crew and dealing with big producers to get their stuff for their restaurants/bars .
They might help as well the economy but they take a lot of advantages of the surroundings too.
Having worked myself for a large campsite and having had friends working during summer hols too ... I know what I'm saying. Waiters, receptionists , people caring the small ones, the entertainers are employed in such a completly out of law way..just to make the most out of it.... If they dare complain ...out! Next one please! Disgusting ! Yet ... the students are happy to still find such jobs so ... no one says a word... everything is kept secret... even if everybody know about it!

I was not talking about small campsites which are much more like family business , and yes local butcher or shops are well used I'm sure!!

Very sorry if you felt pointed out in any way! It was not intentionnal . Speaking in general might offend when you are a minority working properly, I will think twice next time, promissed

I hope you'll accept my apologies on the subject!

Amicalement

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back