Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi

We're off to Spain & France in April and were wondering what approach to internet access you recommend, please?

In the UK we use a Vodafone dongle when we haven't got wifi - but suspect this will be a costly option in Europe.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
assuming its the same for doongle as phone we pay three pounds a day with voda to take our contract with us only triggered by outgoing calls texts data we tend to make calls early on a day we think we will need internet and bash it for the day, days end at midnight so its not 24 hours unless your up late our contracts allow us to tether the laptop to our phones which we do by using the phone as a wifi hot spot so no wires rest of the time its wifi where we can get it free

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you are driving through France then call in on us at Parc Verger, where we have free wifi for our guests. And off-peak, to the end of June and from September, you can have a pitch with 16A ehu (2 people & motorhome) for only 16 Euros less a 10% Funster discount!:thumb:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
If you have Garmin or Tomtom satnav there are downloads in the Download section of POIs for hotspots and internet cafes. Plus lots of other useful resources :Smile:
Click 'Home' - Resources - Downloads - Navigation.

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
If I am going to be in a country for than a month and will be continually touring I get a pre-pay mobile internet dongle for that country. I am in Spain at the moment and a vodafone dongle costs €29 for 1gig and 1 month. Monthly topup for the same 1gig is €23. I did the same in Portugal and when I go to France I will do the same. For me this is the cheapest way and has been very succesful.
Mike

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Most camp sites in spain or Portugal have wifi. Cost vary quite a bit, though, from free (quite common) to very cheap, eg 1 euro per day, to 3 or 4 euros per hour. We rely mainly on this, although in emergency I can tether my phone to the computer.

For just e-mail I use my Kindle 3g, which is also free

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It really depends on how much you intend to use it, if just a quick shuftie every few days then you could just park up near McDonalds and tap into their free wifi ... or treat yourself to a Mcflurry (yummy) and do it 'legit'.:Smile:

OP
OP
Roxie
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
It really depends on how much you intend to use it, if just a quick shuftie every few days then you could just park up near McDonalds and tap into their free wifi ... or treat yourself to a Mcflurry (yummy) and do it 'legit'.:Smile:

Thank you everyone - lots of food for thought!

OP
OP
Roxie
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
If you are driving through France then call in on us at Parc Verger, where we have free wifi for our guests. And off-peak, to the end of June and from September, you can have a pitch with 16A ehu (2 people & motorhome) for only 16 Euros less a 10% Funster discount!:thumb:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Thanks Bob - you're on the radar now, and we'll look at options for coming to see you - although you will appreciate the attractions of France Passion!! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back