Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
Help needed we are intending to tour for 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for campsites for a few nights at each stop.

Our first stop would be around Barnstaple area.
Then we want to move around Bude
Then onto Redruth area
Then onto Liskeard
Then we would like to finish near Paignton before coming home

Please bear in mind we have a 27ft motorhome when giving suggestions or is there a campsite book for motorhomes that you would recommend

looking forward to your help and suggestions for a newbie to motorhoming but loving it so far

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Wallywayne,
You've posted in the website help forum. I'm sure Admin will be along soon and move you to the correct spot.
regards,
Roy

OP
OP
W

Wallywayne

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
oops sorry told u i was new hopefully it will get moved!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Take care down there. Some very narrow roads, as we found out. Lot of fun though.

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Hi Wallywayne,

I live in the North Cornwall/Devon area. There are plenty of sites in the area,
Bude area has numerous that should accomodate you, several not far off the A39 so easy access for a vehicle that size without having to negotiate the narrow winding lanes.

Cheers,
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
by the way,
the narrow, winding roads around here a fine once you get used to them.

Just take it easy and get to know your van size.

The worst part of my first trip back from the dealers after picking up the van was the last 1.5 miles to home, most being v.narrow, winding, overgrown hedges, collapse road edges and passing places.
Sweaty palms by the time I got home::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
by the way,
the narrow, winding roads around here a fine once you get used to them.

Just take it easy and get to know your van size.

The worst part of my first trip back from the dealers after picking up the van was the last 1.5 miles to home, most being v.narrow, winding, overgrown hedges, collapse road edges and passing places.
Sweaty palms by the time I got home::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

But it is fun though. Take your time. I learned a lot on those roads. I thought I had a proximity alarm fitted but realised that it was the wife....lol. Beautiful countryside. Just take your time and enjoy

OP
OP
W

Wallywayne

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
LOL at gordoncbrown i have one of those that screams at me aswell :ROFLMAO:

2dogs.....do you have any recommendations around Bude just off the A39 would be good for the first time

Thanks

OP
OP
W

Wallywayne

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
would prefer to stay at sites just off main roads for our first road trip just to get used to everything

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Hi Wayne,

not stayed at any sites locally, bit close to home/work so cannot comment on sites themselves but,

Pentire, just south of Kilkhampton, only probably 5 years ago, just off A39.

Wooda, Poughill, just North of Bude, driven in to take a peek, looks clean, split into different areas (not just one big field), bit of a wiggle off A39.

Bude Meadows 1-2 miles from Bude turn off on A39.

Just a few on or just off A39.

If you want a bit of wilding:Eeek: Duckpool, West of Kilkhampton, but that is wiggly and narrow, or for proper wilding:Eeek::Eeek: Welcome mouth but these days you need a 4x4 to get down there::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

OP
OP
W

Wallywayne

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
thanks 2dogs Bude Meadow looks ok so thats one of the stops sorted

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hidden valley campsite on the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe road. Good bus service right outside site if you want to leave motorhome parked up.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Riverside at exmoor, South Molton (10 mins barnstaple) easy access, just off main road - facilities nice, fairly quiet for location, fishing if required - were 12 a night fully serviced (fresh water, elec, grey water on pitch etc) hard and grass.

Bude, there is a lovely one just past the bude entrance. Farm Shop a hundred yards from the big layby on the main road. I will try and find out what it is called. People are really nice, CL site, sloping slightly but at 8 pounds a night, it is very cheap and has all the facilities!

Redruth - I would go to St Aggie/Portreath area. There are plenty of nice CL's around there. There was an eco type one we went to that was nice, it was behind an industrial area but had an astonishing view! That was 6 pounds a night with easy access, and fairly level.

Liskeard area - there is Dobwalls, Looe, Doublebois (pronounced double boys - DON'T say doo-blay-bwa we will all die of laughter) all nearby. Some nice ones of Looe road - can be a haul to get back onto the main road though.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Riverside~Plymouth

Hi on your way back on route to Paignton after crossing Tamar bridge towards Plymouth then at the end of the parkway there is Riverside c/c park (behind Nova-tel) supermarket other side of roundabout (Sainsbury's) big c/p not bad for a couple of days but not for long term .have fun :Smile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hillhead just outside Brixham, bus at gate to Dartmouth, Brixham, Paignton , & Torquay

Shop on site, Nossery/ Bar, Caravan Club, tad expensive tho (but worth it for the view)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back