The Portuguese National Police (GNR) Pay A Visit... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We all use our motorhomes in many different ways depending on our needs and desires.

We all, over time, develop our preferences and rules.

I have motorhomed for a long time and I enjoy the independence and freedom to move. I do not enjoy being parked in one place for any length of time. I enjoy being in my van. I eat in my van and sit in my van... not outside it. I do not like awnings, levelling blocks, wind breaks and the like. I rarely stay on campsites. I don't camp in my van... I live in it.

Others are different and have the full Monty... BBQ's, table and chairs etc. Fair play to them all, we all enjoy different things.

But I am feeling a bit smug today. I realise "smugness" is a sin but I can't help myself.

This morning we were visited by the GNR. They went around the "off-site" unofficial parking location and looked at the vans one by one. They took pictures. I got out and asked what was happening and were we a problem.

The response was delivered calmly and very gently by a young policeman.

"In Portugal it is illegal to camp outside official campsites."

I smiled inwardly as I thought of the hundreds and hundreds of motorhomes not using sites.

"Parking here is ok but camping, with tables and chairs and, pointing to a van with levelling blocks, this is not.

He then pointed to my Hymer...

"This is parking... this is fine..."

As they went from van to van some didn't wait but rushed around packing away their tables and chairs and making a run for it. These people, without waiting to learn what was being said, will now, as I write this, no doubt being spreading the word that motorhomes have been "banned" by the GNR from Pedras. Simply not true.

As a massively keen "off-site" motorhomer I have always preferred to park away from the hoards of vans that gather in various locations and start to look like housing estates. I never "tie" my van down to the ground with awnings and the like. It is just as I prefer it.

But I feel 90% of Funsters use their vans differently to me and they prefer campsites where they can spread out and use all the things they bought from the shows... Cadacs and loungers and... and...

I think each to their own and there is no problem with either life style at all except, here in Portugal, I suggest if you want to "camp" you stay on campsites but if you enjoy "motorhoming" the way I do you will be fine if you are sensible.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The most we have ever put outside when not on site is the screw in type fastener for the dog :thumb:::bigsmile: :winky:
terry

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I usually put the hot tub with built in optics outside, if I offered to let them use it, would they let me stay?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we do sit outside and sometimes read a book or have a drink (cuppa or alcohol) or a meal - usually eg lunchtime sandwich, rarely have we had a full meal with cutlery and a table etc outside at all, on aires or sites even. And whilst we would leave the awning out on a proper site, given no wind - even if it's out a bit on an aire (when there's space and it doesn't impede our neighbours) it and the chairs and anything else - always comes in at night anyway.

I do like to be level though if we're stopped overnight anywhere, but normally 'wilding' for us is one odd night on Auchan's carpark when we get to Calais at eg 02.00 ish. And it tends to be pretty flat and anyway we won't be there long!

I wonder though, if they came back 3 days hence and you were still in situ, they'd decide you WERE 'camping' ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I usually put the hot tub with built in optics outside, if I offered to let them use it, would they let me stay?

Ian

We've never bothered to take ours on holiday, we think a holiday should be different to what we do at home, otherwise, why go?

:roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Very good post JJ :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Attachments

• 24_Rhein.jpg
    24_Rhein.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 150

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Like your style JJ, you should consider writing a book..."Mentoring Motorhomers"?::bigsmile:
I'll be there with you someday, dream on...:RollEyes:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
thanks for an interesting insight to wild camping out of interest jj surely you sit outside on the odd occasion to enjoy the sunshine:thumb: and would the local police consider sleeping overnight in the van camping or parking I wonder?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
thanks for an interesting insight to wild camping out of interest jj surely you sit outside on the odd occasion to enjoy the sunshine:thumb: and would the local police consider sleeping overnight in the van camping or parking I wonder?

I have been known to sit outside sometimes but living in Portugal I don't have the need to actually sit in it all that much... most times I am trying to keep out of it!

(The Brits are called Roast Beefs over here because that is the colour the locals see them go... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

The GNR know full well where we are sleeping, and indeed they do sometimes move people off as they did at one location just before Christmas but people were there the next day and have had no difficulties since. I suspect it depends on what the Police Chiefs have on their plates at any particular time.

I believe there is a move, given that there are many locals who want the motorhomes for the business they bring, to follow the Vila Real example and start charging a couple of Euros a night... a price most people would be happy to pay if water and a dump point was on hand.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
[HI]I have been known to sit outside sometimes but living in Portugal I don't have the need to actually sit in it all that much... most times I am trying to keep out of it![/HI]

(The Brits are called Roast Beefs over here because that is the colour the locals see them go... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

The GNR know full well where we are sleeping, and indeed they do sometimes move people off as they did at one location just before Christmas but people were there the next day and have had no difficulties since. I suspect it depends on what the Police Chiefs have on their plates at any particular time.

I believe there is a move, given that there are many locals who want the motorhomes for the business they bring, to follow the Vila Real example and start charging a couple of Euros a night... a price most people would be happy to pay if water and a dump point was on hand.

Exactly. Once worked for 7 summer months in a harbour and occassionally on the beaches at Calpe repairng boats, soon cured me of wanting to be in the sun.
Sun out = look for the best bit of shade.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry Link Removed
The most we have ever put outside when not on site is the screw in type fastener for the dog :thumb:::bigsmile: :winky:
terry

They are cruel !!!

Wyn

You don't screw them into the dog, you screw them into the ground. For goodness sake read the instructions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back