Using uTorrent - downloading movies etc..... (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The place I'm staying in right offers free Internet access and of course everyone is using it.
One chap has been for the past 3 + days been downloading movies ( which I have no problem with ) but was doing it 24/7, which because of the limited bandwidth meant everyone else was getting freezing on their "filmon" and "Skype".

Having worked in the IT field for a number of years was able to fix it for the MH site owner so this can be limited in the future here.

Could I take this opportunity to remind others by all means download what you want from "free Internet" but do it during the hours of 23:00hrs and 07:00hrs so others can enjoy using the service. Things like Skype and watching TV are important to some.

John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As far as I am concerned even watching television via a sites internet is pretty antisocial to be honest..
Compared to telly, Skype uses very little bandwidth so no real issue with that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
As far as I am concerned even watching television via a sites internet is pretty antisocial to be honest..
Compared to telly, Skype uses very little bandwidth so no real issue with that

Some people have no choice, but to use B/Band to watch TV, however you are right.

1MB download will however allow a max of 6 users to download and the likes of Filmon are not to heavy on the kb's, but 1x uTorrent user will connect to up to in some cases 300+ users to download a movie and in some cases this means up to 300+ trying to access that users IP to get an upload, hence to other users not being able to use the Internet because the bandwidth cannot cope!

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
whilst I fully agree that some people are just selfish, in my experience the majority of users would have no idea what they were doing was antisocial or the technical reasons why they were denying service to other campers.

I know its different, but how many times have we all seen a queue to get water because an rv is plumbed in for the next hour filling huge onboard tanks? we were at a site last summer where the couple in an rv connected their hose pipe then sat down to eat lunch leaving a line of 6 other vans needing to get water. when full they just let the tap run and overflow rather than turn off. no thoughts for others some people. even when the site owner had words with them, they couldnt see what they did as inconveniencing others

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
whilst I fully agree that some people are just selfish, in my experience the majority of users would have no idea what they were doing was antisocial or the technical reasons why they were denying service to other campers.

Reply: that is the reason why I have posted this, so perhaps some will think about it before doing it.

I know its different, but how many times have we all seen a queue to get water because an rv is plumbed in for the next hour filling huge onboard tanks? we were at a site last summer where the couple in an rv connected their hose pipe then sat down to eat lunch leaving a line of 6 other vans needing to get water. when full they just let the tap run and overflow rather than turn off. no thoughts for others some people. even when the site owner had words with them, they couldnt see what they did as inconveniencing others

Reply: do not want to digress off the Internet subject sorry.

John

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Reply: do not want to digress off the Internet subject sorry. John

But it is about being selfish with supplies whatever form they take. That's what makes this forum so interesting. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[HI]Some people have no choice,[/HI] but to use B/Band to watch TV, however you are right.

1MB download will however allow a max of 6 users to download and the likes of Filmon are not to heavy on the kb's, but 1x uTorrent user will connect to up to in some cases 300+ users to download a movie and in some cases this means up to 300+ trying to access that users IP to get an upload, hence to other users not being able to use the Internet because the bandwidth cannot cope!

John

I feel I must argue that point John, everyone has the choice, to either not abuse a system or to stretch it in their favour.

If someone is that desperate to watch television they should buy a nice dish ( a big one if way down south ) and use that.. They should not, in my opinion, cause others to suffer a slow connection by foisting their own 'needs' on others
Camp site WiFi systems are not set up with streaming or television watching in mind.. In fact in many rural areas that are stuck with copper feed the infrastructure is incapable of supporting such goings on.
Camp site WiFi is meant to be used for a bit of surfing, emailing, and yes, a bit of forum bashing..

TCPIP uses multiplier wait timers.. ( Unlike AX25 ).... so a data packet clashes.. The transmitter waits ( for arguments sake ) 10 ms then retransmits .. if it still fails to get a checksum back it then waits ( maybe ) 15ms,, this repeats and the wait time gets longer and longer until the originating transmitter gets a correct checksum...

Now, if a few people are watching television the data traffic going back and forth is huge..
You may be thinking, but we are talking ms here.. Yes, but consider this. To receive tv requires ABOUT a constant 1.5 meg ( low definition ) data stream.. that is 1.5 million/8 data packets transmitted and received, and 1.5 million/8 packets acknowledged back with a checksum ( the /8 is because most data packets are 8 bit plus checksum ) PER SECOND

A few packet clashes and suddenly that is down to less than a tenth normal speed

Ok, this is quite a simplified explanation and is actually full of holes but the physics and mechanics of what is happening is there, just some of the figures can be played around with..

But over all the way the average camp site is set up means that, no matter what, watching television via a WiFi signal is somewhat anti-social...

Andddddd

Breath ................................ :Blush::ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The place I'm staying in right offers free Internet access and of course everyone is using it.
One chap has been for the past 3 + days been downloading movies ( which I have no problem with ) but was doing it 24/7, which because of the limited bandwidth meant everyone else was getting freezing on their "filmon" and "Skype".

Having worked in the IT field for a number of years was able to fix it for the MH site owner so this can be limited in the future here.

Could I take this opportunity to remind others by all means download what you want from "free Internet" but do it during the hours of 23:00hrs and 07:00hrs so others can enjoy using the service. Things like Skype [HI]and watching TV[/HI] are important to some.

John

How do you know this one chap was the sole cause of all the problems. Were there no other "campers" on this site. Maybe the connection was just pretty poor...

Maybe there were many (important to them) "TV Watchers" all streaming at the same time, and the bandwidth was small to start with, hence contributing to poor data speeds.

"Some people have no choice, but to use B/Band to watch TV,"

They could like the rest of who like to watch TV, buy a satellite system, even with a small dish you can switch satellite and get UK news channels......

I'm sure the campers are happy now that you helped the owner to "limit" the system so now they can't even get on MHF............

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
How do you know this one chap was the sole cause of all the problems. Were there no other "campers" on this site. Maybe the connection was just pretty poor...

Maybe there were many (important to them) "TV Watchers" all streaming at the same time, and the bandwidth was small to start with, hence contributing to poor data speeds.

"Some people have no choice, but to use B/Band to watch TV,"

They could like the rest of who like to watch TV, buy a satellite system, even with a small dish you can switch satellite and get UK news channels......

I'm sure the campers are happy now that you helped the owner to "limit" the system so now they can't even get on MHF............

How I knew was I look at all the IP addresses on the router (7 in total) and then disconnected each one at a time and watched the data level. I found him in minutes. I left him disconnected and sure enough he came storming up to the owner demanding to know what had happened to the Internet. Upon being asked why he stated "I'm downloading movies" and at this point I informed him in my way the errors of his way. To be far he appoligised to the me and the owner, but stated he does it in every site he goes to!!!!! Since that point he has stopped and the system is running fine.

Perhaps in time and with a little knowledge people will play the game. A this site in the next few days with a new router fitted there will be little chance of downloading movies etc as the newest routers allow you to block this sort of thing.

By the way I have as so does the chap next to me a sat dish up so some do - no many do play the game.

A real hornets nest...........

John

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
How I knew was I look at all the IP addresses on the router (7 in total) and then disconnected each one at a time and watched the data level. I found him in minutes. I left him disconnected and sure enough he came storming up to the owner demanding to know what had happened to the Internet. Upon being asked why he stated "I'm downloading movies" and at this point I informed him in my way the errors of his way. To be far he appoligised to the me and the owner, but stated he does it in every site he goes to!!!!! Since that point he has stopped and the system is running fine.

Perhaps in time and with a little knowledge people will play the game. A this site in the next few days with a new router fitted there will be little chance of downloading movies etc as the newest routers allow you to block this sort of thing.

By the way I have as so does the chap next to me a sat dish up so some do - no many do play the game.

A real hornets nest...........

John

I am the chap next to Don Quixote on a sat dish to watch the TV::bigsmile:....
Finding out who the person was doing the dowloading on a large scale on the campsite internet, would have been quite easy... myself and three other motorhomes were off site out shopping....leaving Don Quixote and this person mentioned and one other motorhome left on the campsite:winky::winky:

And top it all .....this person the download demon:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: has just won the FIRST PRIZE the most expensive prize and his wife has won the second prize.out of three..sods law..... at the free BBQ put on by the owner and partner..this dinner time..first class :thumb:
With many different meats beautiful cooked on the BBQ all free.......
Mel

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Surly, this problem is not with the user but with the provider! Why should people be restricted from using a facility to obtain the service they want ! The solution is for the provider to provide a better download speed or greater capacity. This is the only way countries like Spain will catch up with the internet needs of it's people. We have done this in the UK and improving our broadband speeds all the time. It's time for Europe to catch up.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
strange I never noticed anyone saying that using utorrent to download movies/music is theft or does everyone do it these days.
:reel:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
strange I never noticed anyone saying that using utorrent to download movies/music is theft or does everyone do it these days.
:reel:

Yes technically it is breaking the law.....copyright theft. Law changes will make service providers warn downloaders and service might be withdrawn ...and copyright owners want service providers to report downloaders so they can prosecute them............not sure if there have been many successful prosecutions to date ?

barry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
How I knew was I look at all the IP addresses on the router (7 in total) and then disconnected each one at a time and watched the data level. I found him in minutes. I left him disconnected and sure enough he came storming up to the owner demanding to know what had happened to the Internet. Upon being asked why he stated "I'm downloading movies" and at this point[HI] I informed him in my way the errors of his way[/HI]. To be far he appoligised to the me and the owner, but stated he does it in every site he goes to!!!!! Since that point he has stopped and the system is running fine.

[HI]A real hornets nest...........[/HI]

John

It is indeed a "hornet's nest", but who is it who should decide who will be the "Download Police" for the camp-site?....

Surely the camp-site owner should decide on the policy for the Internet usage, as with all his other camp-site policies.

Are other campers going to vigorously pursue fellow campers who use their hook up "excessively" and perhaps run heaters all thought the night in their van, or even in their awnings?:Doh:

Will we expect a visit from a camp-site Policeman, if we spend more than 5 minutes taking a Hot Shower at the camp-site facilities?:Doh:

Will fellow campers time each other in the pool and ask other campers to leave, even when it's empty, just because they think you have been in the pool long enough!.....:Doh:

I go to camp-sites with the intention to relax.....:thumb:

If my neighbouring camper turns into the self appointed camp Police man then maybe I will resort to unplugging his hook up when it's dark.....:winky::winky: Now that would be naughty, wouldn't it..... or maybe I would just move on and find a more relaxed place to pitch up.:RollEyes:

A hornet's nest could easily become a plague of locusts on your camp-site............:Eeek:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Surly, this problem is not with the user but with the provider! Why should people be restricted from using a facility to obtain the service they want ! The solution is for the provider to provide a better download speed or greater capacity. This is the only way countries like Spain will catch up with the internet needs of it's people. We have done this in the UK and improving our broadband speeds all the time. It's time for Europe to catch up.

But are your campsites in the." UK" only ÂŁ6.00 per night (7.50 euros) this includes free wifi,...free 16 amp electric,.. free water,a nice homely site locked at night and a free BBQ with all the different meats beautiful cooked for free, swimming pools games room tv room ..:Doh: with sun nearly everyday.. Idon't think so.... What do you want for ÂŁ6.00:Doh: What Don Quixote has said I agree with ... What Don Quixote was doing was helping a very nice campsite owner who has only been open 6 months from being exploited from a motorhomer that was there to take all he could for as little as possible as a few other motorhomers do .. as Don Quixote is IT and understands more than the owner on wifi ..

Could please pass on to me the coordinationns of all these campsites in the UK you know for the same price like for like as this campsite, everything included in the price of ÂŁ6.00...with unlimited downloads with all the facilities
::bigsmile::thumb:

Mel

Last edited:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
But are your campsites in the." UK" only ÂŁ6.00 per night (7.50 euros) this includes free wifi,...free 16 amp electric,.. free water,a nice homely site locked at night and a free BBQ with all the different meats beautiful cooked and free..:Doh: with sun nearly everyday.. Idon't think so.... What do you want for ÂŁ6.00:Doh: What Don Quixote has said I agree with ...

Mel

......and free, crystal clear pool with sun loungers around, games room with free pool table, babyfoot table, etc, free hot showers, clothes washing facilities, no extra charge for the dog or hubby :ROFLMAO:, free Bingo with nice prizes (yes, we know who won lol!) after the free BBQ.....the list goes on....all for that price!:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
(snip) ...... This is the only way countries like Spain will catch up with the internet needs of it's people. We have done this in the UK and improving our broadband speeds all the time. [HI] It's time for Europe to catch up[/HI].

It's time the UK caught up..

there are millions of UK households and businesses who don't have high speed broadband.. many , including myself , still suffer from a slow adsl, running on copper wires strung across the fields of Suffolk on poles.. Our exchange is about 9 miles away.. that's a long way on twisted copper wires.. on peak periods my speed is little better than dial up ...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
......and free, crystal clear pool with sun loungers around, games room with free pool table, babyfoot table, etc, free hot showers, clothes washing facilities, no extra charge for the dog or hubby :ROFLMAO:, free Bingo with nice prizes (yes, we know who won lol!) after the free BBQ.....the list goes on....all for that price!:thumb:

Will someone PLEASE put me out of my misery and tell me where this fantastic site is please ?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Will someone PLEASE put me out of my misery and tell me where this fantastic site is please ?

Jaws it is a secret....but for the people that do come to this site and are tooooo Ti**t to pay 5 euros for the auto washer....the owner has kindly provided free of charge any time of the day.... a washing mashine :winky::winky:

Attachments

• Portugal trip 2013 005.jpg
    Portugal trip 2013 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Portugal trip 2013 006.jpg
    Portugal trip 2013 006.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Portugal trip 2013 007.jpg
    Portugal trip 2013 007.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Portugal trip 2013 008.jpg
    Portugal trip 2013 008.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It is indeed a "hornet's nest", but who is it who should decide who will be the "Download Police" for the camp-site?....

Surely the camp-site owner should decide on the policy for the Internet usage, as with all his other camp-site policies.

Are other campers going to vigorously pursue fellow campers who use their hook up "excessively" and perhaps run heaters all thought the night in their van, or even in their awnings?:Doh:

Will we expect a visit from a camp-site Policeman, if we spend more than 5 minutes taking a Hot Shower at the camp-site facilities?:Doh:

Will fellow campers time each other in the pool and ask other campers to leave, even when it's empty, just because they think you have been in the pool long enough!.....:Doh:

I go to camp-sites with the intention to relax.....:thumb:

If my neighbouring camper turns into the self appointed camp Police man then maybe I will resort to unplugging his hook up when it's dark.....:winky::winky: Now that would be naughty, wouldn't it..... or maybe I would just move on and find a more relaxed place to pitch up.:RollEyes:

A hornet's nest could easily become a plague of locusts on your camp-site............:Eeek:

I think you may have mis-understood Don Quixote...I am here at the site ...I would say what Don Quixote was doing was giving the site owner free help and advice.. as Don Quixote knows I had put this site on motorhome fun so other funsters could call..is maybe why he mentioned it on MHfun

As site has only been open 6 months, on the site little things can always be improoved... also the site owner such a nice bloke.... anybody would help him out....I have and would again.....or site will close...... but there always some people willing take everything, or as much as they can for as little or none payment.

Mel

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws it is a secret....but for the people that do come to this site and are tooooo Ti**t to pay 5 euros for the auto washer....the owner has kindly provided free of charge any time of the day.... a washing mashine :winky::winky:

Ahhhh... the Yorkshire option then !!!! :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

so going by what you posted above, it appears you believe that the site owner should provide mega fast unlimited broadband to all their campers free of charge?? the vast majority of people would be just happy enough to surf the net and send a few emails for free. if the owner paid for the installation as you suggest plus ongoing service charges, this would have to be passed on in site costs

on the other hand I do know people that demand their home broadband be unrestricted so that they can download as they wish. every one of them selects their ISP by price and availability though.

think of broadband as a pipe supplying water..... it will supply water at many taps simultaniously but slowly, or fast to one single tap. the limit is the size of the pipe to the property and the pressure. you cant cheaply improve that supply without huge cost and improved infrastructure from your water/broadband supplier

plain old copper wire that was put up for telephone use has been used around the world to provide basic broadband, but it is now pretty much at its limitations. to supply superfast unlimited broadband to ALL the pitches on a campsite simultaneously would cost a small fortune. thats why ISPs quote contention figures and why your home broadband slows at peak times. its down to all the people trying to get their maximum demands filled by a what ultimately is a limited rescource

[HI]demand what you like, youre not going to get more than you pay for, and if its free, thats not a whole lot[/HI]

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Anna.... keep quiet....about the other's that won a bingo prize LOL...and... the sods law person the "Download Demon" left the next day with all his prizes:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back