deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
In the future i would love to become a fulltimer when the mrs has packed up work , i have a couple of questions am i correct in saying you have to have an address ie post code,and how do you stand about council tax?????

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yup you need an address for driving license, registration and insurance and not a lot else. No you don't pay council tax if you really are a full timer.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
what is an address?

Yup you need an address for driving license, registration and insurance and not a lot else.

I just wonder what constitutes an address.

A lad I once explained to me that he wrote letters to his Dad at - the caravan, the layby on the East Lancs Road outside town name. The lad was locked up and the family were travelers.

I think that there is a central facility run by the Gypsy Council that they can use but could the rest of us use an accommodation address?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The DVLA have cracked down in the last 2-3 years. Originally I had all my mail going to a physical Mailbox (no a PO box). This is acceptable for everything still except my driving license. This has to go to a member of the family. They were ok with it for the first 2 years then decided they didn't like it when I renewed my photo card part.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
It depends on where you want to full-time.
If you have reason to be in the UK then it is either where you base yourselves (we found a small helpful campsite and had all of our post sent there) or you will need a co-operative family member.
If you plan to tour the continent extensively then you can find somewhere this side of the Channel as a base - saves the expense and hassle of channel crossings every trip - but remember that if you are in a country for more than 182 days in a year then you would be regarded as resident there for tax purposes. For most people this is not a problem as tax rates are generally not that different; perhaps you could think about buying a static as an occasional base if you want a break from your motorhome, and have that as your permanent address.
I'm sure there will be plenty of response for you - you could not have asked the question on a better forum.::bigsmile: Remember though as Jim said in his weekly round-up there is a sister site for full-timers www.motorhome365.com
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In the future i would love to become a fulltimer when the mrs has packed up work , i have a couple of questions am i correct in saying you have to have an address ie post code,and how do you stand about council tax?????

I use a friend's address for DVLA, insurance, banks, etc. She is very good and checks my mail for me - anything important is either forwarded to where I happen to be or scanned and e-mailed.

If you stay less than 28 days in one place, then you don't pay council tax. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If considering full timing I would suggest firstly renting the house for a year and seeing how you like be out there all year. That way, if you do not like it - you can return to a house.

Addresses - you can either use a friends, a work or use the redirect service, though this costs around ÂŁ15 a month - advantage being, that you won't have to inform anyone and don't lose your credit score - ideal at least until you leave permanently after your trial period.

Ensure you are comfortable - what may be ok for hols, may not full time. So advise looking at something spacious, WINTERISED with pronounced zones and seperate fixed bed. It can make the difference between enjoyment and disaster. Our original vehicle we would have struggled in, our current has been a breeze!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you stay less than 28 days in one place, then you don't pay council tax. :thumb:

yes, quite correct..

but be aware, if you stay longer than that you may get a tax bill from the council.. as I did .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back