Insurance for leaving the MH abroad whilst returning to the UK? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We would like to leave our motorhome at our house in Spain (Nr Alicante) whilst we return to the UK for the month of August to attend lots of family events.
Our insurance policy specifically states
"the motorhome must not be left unattended in a foreign country whilst you return to the UK"

Our policy is due for renewal in June. Does anyone know of any company that would cover this?
I seem to remember a thread on this type of situation.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
No company will cover you.. As far as I know they all have the same exclusion.
If your brave enough then take the gamble. have done it many times and left the van on campsites while we flew back for a few days.
This year in August we drove down in the motorhome to go to our newly acquired apartment and I put the van in covered storage for 3 weeks at Calpe.!
It was probably safer there than anywhere else..:winky:

I know, Let me know where you are as I plan to come over again this August, can park mine next to yours and visit them every other day if your close to Benidorm... :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Let me know where you are

We are in La Marina Nr Guardarmar about 45 mins from Benidorm.
I'm sure someone on the forum stored their van Nr Alicante airport last year, just wondering what they did re insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
No company will cover you.. As far as I know they all have the same exclusion.
If your brave enough then take the gamble. have done it many times and left the van on campsites while we flew back for a few days.
This year in August we drove down in the motorhome to go to our newly acquired apartment and I put the van in covered storage for 3 weeks at Calpe.!
It was probably safer there than anywhere else..:winky:

I know, Let me know where you are as I plan to come over again this August, can park mine next to yours and visit them every other day if your close to Benidorm... :thumb:

I think that seems like a good compromise , I have often travelled back and forth from Spain leaving motorhome, 5th wheeler car or whatever . We did that for about 10 years just leaving the vehicle "unattended" BUT last year in July left a car at our property and both were completely burnt out . Naturally the insurance company (Saga) after establishing the fact we were not in attendance refused the claim.

We are trying to reestablish again in Spain and am contemplating using Liberty Seguros for vehicle insurance as this may be the best answer for our needs .

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Could you not get the vehicle insured locally? if you already own a house there then that must be insured, try your local broker. I am thinking of doing that next year in France. Its most probably cheaper over there too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back