Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
:Smile:
My m/h is based on a 2008 Ducato and I believe that the cam belt/pulleys should be changed at about 5 years irrespective of the mileage?
Is this correct?
I've also read that maybe the water pump should be done at the same time.
Is this correct?

What sort of cost should I expect to get these done please?
Thanks,
Martin

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is 2008 and Geo recommended at 4 years. I had the cam belt and pulleys changed by him. The cam belt showed signs of wear so pleased I did. PM him for a price his work is first class and price VERY competetive. :thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes you should have the belt changed at 5 years as they can deteriorate quicker on low mileage engines due to rust forming on the pulleys & then wearing the belt, they can also perish & crack with age.
The water pump is not compulsory but should be checked carefully. Remember if the pump fails the end result will be the same as the belt snapping.
Can't say about the cost as I do all my own, but I would guess at about £400.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
what ever the cost probably up to around £250 with idlers and water pump depending on where you take it.
this may sound a lot but if the belt breaks its bye bye to the thick end of £700-£1000 if not more.

if in doubt just get it done anyway as a broken cam belt is not a good end to a holiday.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My m/h is based on a 2008 Ducato and I believe that the cam belt/pulleys should be changed at about 5 years irrespective of the mileage?
Is this correct?
I've also read that maybe the water pump should be done at the same time.
Is this correct?

What sort of cost should I expect to get these done please?
Thanks,
Martin

Much will depend on what engine you have. Not all the Ducato models have Cam Belts some have a chain. The service interval is for so many miles or 5 years.

If your 5 years is up, get it done, I paid about £280 for mine, here in Cheshire and this was with the pulleys etc.

As for changing the water pump? That's an old school phenomenan, years ago, yes, the idea was that whilst you were there for an extra ten bob get it done. Water pumps of today are much much better, I would expect my water pump to last the duration of my cars/vans, and my mechanic said "if it aint broke don't fix it". Whereas years ago, you knew teh law of sod would dictate you had the cam belt changed in June and your water pump would go in august resulting in having to take the cam belt back off again anyway. :cry:

Now after the above reply, just you watch my waterpump break :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would expect between £250 and £300.
for the sake of £30 or so its worth changing the pump as well as if it fails later it means removing the belt again to fit a new pump......and possibly another new belt.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
waterpump is only really an issue if it is driven by the cam belt as the tension on the belt does put quite a load on the waterpump bearings and if its not running great mileage and stood more than it runs they get flat spots on the bearings and shaft which makes them rumble and rough to turn.

and really would you risk the engine for an extra £20-£30 or so.

my prices may be out a bit as i haven't bought many parts recently.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a by the by, the 2.8 boxer engine fitted in the preface lift Pug is different from all the rest.

Eight years or 80,000 miles. And believe me, I have more than double checked that !
Weird when to all intents and purposes it is the same engine as is fitted to Ducato with the same sized engine

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Being 2008 i thought it would be 2.3 not 2.8?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Much will depend on what engine you have. Not all the Ducato models have Cam Belts some have a chain. The service interval is for so many miles or 5 years.

If your 5 years is up, get it done, I paid about £280 for mine, here in Cheshire and this was with the pulleys etc.

As for changing the water pump? That's an old school phenomenan, years ago, yes, the idea was that whilst you were there for an extra ten bob get it done. Water pumps of today are much much better, I would expect my water pump to last the duration of my cars/vans, and my mechanic said "if it aint broke don't fix it". Whereas years ago, you knew teh law of sod would dictate you had the cam belt changed in June and your water pump would go in august resulting in having to take the cam belt back off again anyway. :cry:

Now after the above reply, just you watch my waterpump break :Eeek:

:Doh:
Ps your mechanic is off his trolly:RollEyes:
As for the red bit bit if yer pump is belt driven it will snap the belt anyway so wont need taking off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hercules

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
On my Ducato 2.8 idtd the water pump is driven by the alternator belt, not the cam belt, it's worth checking if yours is the same.

Peter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
:Doh:
Ps your mechanic is off his trolly:RollEyes:
As for the red bit bit if yer pump is belt driven it will snap the belt anyway so wont need taking off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well well well,,

You've changed your tune then Geo...

It was you who said to me when I wanted my cam belt done on my second van not to bother and if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Yes you that uttered them very words to me when i told you i had my water pump replaced on my first van and would i need it done on my second : RollEyes: strange breed you mechanics :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well well well,,

You've changed your tune then Geo...

It was you who said to me when I wanted my cam belt done on my second van not to bother and if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Yes you that uttered them very words to me when i told you i had my water pump replaced on my first van and would i need it done on my second : RollEyes: strange breed you mechanics :Smile:

Im afraid you either credit me with someone else s comments or are deliberately making fog and mis-quoting

I suggest you troll all my posts on this very subject and confirm my advise has never changed.
Cam belts at due time or millage without exeption.
Water pumps if belt driven checked and changed if at all any doubt.
Why would it be any different its how I make my living:RollEyes::RollEyes:
Your advise on this thread is poor at best, not at all like you,
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Im afraid you either credit me with someone else s comments or are deliberately making fog and mis-quoting

I suggest you troll all my posts on this very subject and confirm my advise has never changed.
Cam belts at due time or millage without exeption.
Water pumps if belt driven checked and changed if at all any doubt.
Why would it be any different its how I make my living:RollEyes::RollEyes:
Your advise on this thread is poor at best, not at all like you,
Geo
There in lays the difference - checked and changed are different between changed regardless . At no point have I suggested that this IS any different. But again going on your advice which I still value and in the words you said to me at Lincoln when I was asking you about doing my 5 yr old Adria regarding changing my waterpump "if it ain't broke why fix it" and unless you tell me thats a different system I stand by what you told me

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your playing symantics Haggers and failing

Confucius say when in hole stop digging

When has change regardless ever been a viable option on anything

Heres yer bill sir, we changed all 4 tyres in case you got a puncture on the way home and yer battery as well in case that went flat in the mornin:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh and the 3 grand full respray was in case any rust was on its way
Quit now Paul:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Quit now Paul:thumb:

Not when I'm ahead :winky:

So to hear it from you as in response to the original poster...

"Should I CHANGE" the water pump ?

My answer why? Is it broke?

Same as those same words you said to me,,,,

Geo "should I change my water pump when you do the cambelt " why haggers is it broken? "No geo not as far as I know"
Then if it ain't broke don't fix it....

That milord was the words said ....

I stand by that, I was thinking of dropping me gearbox out me car strip it down and rebuild itcos it's done 80k miles. It ain't broke bit ill doit anyway because a repair bill if it breaks will be too much.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not sure if its all your jogging or sleep deprivation Haggers
You continue to make little sense

I refuse to continue in a battle of wits with an unarmed man:winky:
G

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
To get back to the question - I had Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk) replace my cambelt.

His 'standard charge' for all Fiat based motorhomes was £199.

He has a secure and patrolled yard with two electric hook ups and a water tap. A courtesy car is available on first come first served basis.

Mark removed, cleaned and lubricated the starter motor and adjusted the clutch for me as well as fitting the complete cam belt kit.

The total bill was still only £199!

The motorhome seemed to run much better, I cannot speak too highly of this firm and I hope we keep Mark in business until I need him next.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yes you should have the belt changed at 5 years as they can deteriorate quicker on low mileage engines due to rust forming on the pulleys & then wearing the belt, they can also perish & crack with age.
The water pump is not compulsory but should be checked carefully. Remember if the pump fails the end result will be the same as the belt snapping.
Can't say about the cost as I do all my own, but I would guess at about £400.

My son has a village garage and MOT centre. I go into help and he lets me do the cambelts. I'm slow but thorough!! Yesterday, the retired owner of the local Citroen dealership brought his diesel C5 in for a cambelt. Just in time as this belt was about to let go in 4 places!

Today I was asked to remove an alternator. The Ford Focus was in for an MOT. It had sat around for 12 months and the alternator seized due to crap and debris and the ancillary drive belt sent blue smoke everywhere. Test aborted !
The vehicle appeared to not have been looked after. Being curious, I removed the upper cam belt cover and was shocked to see part of the tensioner had sheared off. It had been dancing around and waiting to jam the belt and hello scrapyard to engine. The guide wasn't much better but still full width.
Yes it's just a glorified elastic band but it will perform happily unless too much is expected. The guides and tensioners wear and also get hard and brittle. These 2 customers were very lucky.
My MH is a 2005 with only 18K on the clock but I know someone who will be changing his this spring! But then my labour is cheap and parts are trade!

Attachments

• Belt.jpg
    Belt.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Tensioner.jpg
    Tensioner.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My son has a village garage and MOT centre. I go into help and he lets me do the cambelts. I'm slow but thorough!! Yesterday, the retired owner of the local Citroen dealership brought his diesel C5 in for a cambelt. Just in time as this belt was about to let go in 4 places!

Today I was asked to remove an alternator. The Ford Focus was in for an MOT. It had sat around for 12 months and the alternator seized due to crap and debris and the ancillary drive belt sent blue smoke everywhere. Test aborted !
The vehicle appeared to not have been looked after. Being curious, I removed the upper cam belt cover and was shocked to see part of the tensioner had sheared off. It had been dancing around and waiting to jam the belt and hello scrapyard to engine. The guide wasn't much better but still full width.
Yes it's just a glorified elastic band but it will perform happily unless too much is expected. The guides and tensioners wear and also get hard and brittle. These 2 customers were very lucky.
[HI]My MH is a 2005 with only 18K on the clock but I know someone who will be changing his this spring[/HI]! But then my labour is cheap and parts are trade!

And I put my money where my mouth is, albeit summer not spring.
Changed mine yesterday, belt looked fine but tensioners not so clever.
The one that tensions the belt fell apart and look at the pitting on face of the intact one.
They have dried out and become rusty with periods of non-use.

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 16

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back