Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Funsters,
We are looking for some advice (as being relative newbies). We have been offered, by our friends, a new(ish) Burstner compact of which my Wife has fallen in love with - we intend to spend a lot of 2013 in France/Spain as we are now 'bitten' with motorhoming.
However, to partially fund this potential purchase we will have to sell our 'Connie' but dont have a clue what it's worth - we have seen them from £8k to £18k and would like a bit of advice from the 'much more experienced' motorhomers here,,,,,,,, if possible - we can't P/Ex with the one we want as the owners have already bought thier new one.
A little about it,
Connie is a 56,000 (genuine) mile Swift Kon-Tiki 640/6 berth 2.5 Turbo Diesel Talbot in very good condition. She has had power steering fitted (very early in her life) recent MOT, new cam/pump belts, in fact all belts, and all idlers, oil/filter changes and all equipment works as it should. A generous six berth, U shaped lounge at the rear, bike racks, rear ladders, top box, free-view colour TV, shower, wc, fridge, central and blown C/H, etc etc etc.
What would be a 'reasonable' price to ask for her - can't keep both :cry:

I prefer Connie as she is blessed with plenty of room compared to the compact, but who am I when my Wife has such 'burning desires' for the newer compact.
:Doh:
This is not a for sale advert - we would just like some advice from the more knowledgable here.

Kind Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think we would need to know the year Connie was born before anyone could take a stab at her current worth ...

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Autotrader, motorhome section may reveal what others are trying to sell theirs for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

Hi Trikeman

What year is is?

The best place to see its worth would be to look on eBay at, what is for sale, but better still what price has it sold for.

That should give out some idea.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
DOH!:Doh:
you can tell how inexperienced we are here, aye?

Just checked the masses of papers, old MOT's etc (there's every one since the first) and the registration document states 1991 date of registration.

Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

Kind Regards,

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno if this is any use?

Link Removed

You could ask em (the magazine I mean) how old that article is, because I can't tell.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Funsters,
We are looking for some advice (as being relative newbies). We have been offered, by our friends, a new(ish) Burstner compact of which my Wife has fallen in love with - we intend to spend a lot of 2013 in France/Spain

Warning bells......

"compact" and "a lot of" seems a poor match. If you want to spend weeks/months in a tin box you need to be seriously comfortable.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
see if you can borrow it for a weekend to see if you can live with the lack of space otherwise it could be 1 expensive mistake that you will regret.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
see if you can borrow it for a weekend to see if you can live with the lack of space otherwise it could be 1 expensive mistake that you will regret.

Spot on, though a few days is not the best test, much better than none and they don't need to move it to test the interior.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would say you should be able to get about £8000 for Connie..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's a funny thing moving to a more compact van ::bigsmile: We have been from 2 to 4 to 6 (others besides that we kept for a few days/weeks to repairs and sell) and back to 2 which incedently has more usable space than the 6 berth :winky: and is a lot more comfortable for our needs :thumb:As such you need to make sure it is what you both need and want :thumb:
Kontikis are a funny thing to value and sell ::bigsmile: personally for a 91 I think 8k a bit ambitious but yours is low miles and I assume good condition so you may well find a buyer wanting one.Try asking around 10k :winky: you never know:Smile: but be ready to take less :thumb:Daft thing is until mid March nothing much sells unless it is a real bargain. Good luck on your sale :thumb:
Terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I sold an '89 6 berth Hobby ( Ducato2.3 base ) for someone last year on eBay and it made £8300 :thumb:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
a thousand thanks for your replies, advice and things for us to consider. One of the important things to consider is room, as highlighted in some of the replies.
I love lots of room, which we are blessed with in the Kon-Tiki but we have tried the one we are looking at (we stayed with them for a week, in the van) and although I 'put up with it' my Wife was over the moon. To be honest, with just us two it was fine, a little adjusting and trimming down on the groceries and we'll be OK - I spend most of the time on adventures anyway.:Cool:
Thanks for the link to the specific review, that was a great inspiration. As we don't have to make a snap decision perhaps waiting for the first rays of sun to come over the horizon will help sell Connie, however we won't be wanting 'to make a killing' on her - we just hope for a fair price and someone gets out of it what we have.
I'm not too keen on the eBay route as sold a car on there once and it was a bloody nightmare.....:cry:

Again, thanks for the advice - all great stuff.
Kind Regards,

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Only one Kon Tiki 640 showing on completed listings in eBay....
1995 model, 40k on the clock, 16 offers but it did not sell. Asking price of £16,500.

One current listing is at £16,495, it is a 97 with 87k.

I would say both of these are way too high. I would guess around 10k for yours, plus minus by a couple of grand..

What you need is someone to "fall in love" with it. When people do that they get carried away, act impulsively and pay over the odds.:RollEyes:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Warning bells......

"compact" and "a lot of" seems a poor match. If you want to spend weeks/months in a tin box you need to be seriously comfortable.

Hi, This is good advice, wish I'd had it back a few years ago , cost me quite a few pounds to realise jumping from an A class 6 mtr down , to 6 mtr panel van terribly cramped only had 6 mnths changed to 6 mtr coachbulit still a bit of compromise but got used to it know. Terry:sin:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just out of interest, what deal are you getting on the Burstner compact?

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just out of interest, what deal are you getting on the Burstner compact?

Hi Minx,
not really sat down with pens and paper yet - but suffice to say it's within our budget.

Regards,

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
You have my sincere condolences.

What's it going to be, week after week after week like a battery hen or a nice clean divorce ?

I don't fancy your clucking chances.

Hi Brian, very good.:ROFLMAO:

After MANY years of country camping in a two berth tent I think that would have happend by now,,,,, the secluded warmth and luxuries of a M/H has made us look at life as if we are in the Ritz, even if the next one is a little more 'compact', as it were.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just an update.

Hi All, an update!!!!
Well, we have bitten the bullet with the Burstner and used it a couple of times to see if it suited us, bit of a comedown in space from Connie for sure but the only thing we REALLY miss is the large 'U' shaped lounge, as in Connie - there's just the two of us and the dog now.

I went to the storage and picked up Connie (bless her), connected up the battery and she fired up straight away and drove back superb.

As I will 'reluctantly' be putting her up for sale shortly (unfortunately can't keep both) I have studied your suggestions, did some website research and feel comfortable with most 'selling outlets', except ebay. I tried selling a high end watch on there once and I was plagued (and still am) by 'nutters', so a little reluctant to go that route. I am going to give her a good clean, tax her, have her checked over and then will advertise her in a couple of weeks - will be sad to see her go - but hopefully she will be bought by someone who will get masses of fun from her.
Anyway, her is a shot of her when I got her back from storage.....:cry:
Regards,
Trikeman.:Sad:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Kon-tiki 640 is a brilliant van, I had one for a few years and was very pleased with it. The engine is surprisingly economical though a bit agricultural compared with todays engines. In the years I had it it didn't cost a penny in repairs and servicing was a DIY job.
Yours would be a really good buy at 8-10k I reckon.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We manage long term in an Autosleeper Symphony . Only 5.5 metres long but plenty of room for us and we are not small. Spend most of the time outside, Sept to Jan last year in Spain, no problem with space.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back