240 V socket (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I am looking to put a 240v socket outside, the same type as the hook up cable. I remember seeing a kit that had everythin that was needed in it. All that you had to do was drill a hole in the wall and wire in to the back of an existing socket. I have tried several searches without any luck. Does anyone know where to get one or reccomend an alternative.

Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The information you need is probably on Broken Link Removed from a couple of months ago.

AFAIK the regulations state that only a qualified electrician can wire in an outdoor socket permanently but it is OK to terminate the cable with a normal household plug and use an existing socket (best to use a plug in RCD though).

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
this is what i think you want but has tv sockets on it too.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Gordon ,I did the very same thiny myself about a month ago.I bought an ip66 outdoor waterproof socket from eBay which I fixed on the outside wall of my house roughly in line with a socket on the wall inside .
I then simply cut the plug and flex of an broken outdoor appliance,drilled a hole through the wall,leaving the plug next to the socket fed the cable through the hole, cut to size and wired into outdoor socket.When I want the outdoor socket to have power I simply insert the plug inside and flick the switch!No need to get into removing sockets and wiring in,and all fully legal. If done this way no need for an electrician.
The inside socket eliminates the need for a plug in rcd as this should be covered back at the fuse box.I just went for a normal outside socket so as I could use it for other things,then made up a lead to go to van.Dont forget to vase sealant to seal hole
Regards vlad

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
These are better than just the wall sockets as you can leave a plug in the socket and it's sealed from the rain.

Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
oops miss read what you actually wanted.
as an alternative to a permanent fixed socket and having to have an electrician fit it for you get one of those 13amp plug to the hook up socket and take the 13 plug off it drill the hole through your wall near the socket feed the cable through and refit the plug.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The inside socket eliminates the need for a plug in rcd as this should be covered back at the fuse box.I just went for a normal outside socket so as I could use it for other things,then made up a lead to go to van.Dont forget to vase sealant to seal hole
Regards vlad

Even when using an outdoor electric appliance (such as hedge trimmer) isn't it still recommended to use an RCD device in the socket? Or am I out of date.:Blush:

As for installing an external socket, if you do this, make sure you have a way of securing your cable to stop it being nicked! We use an adapted hook-up cable with a standard 3-pin 'household' socket on one end with the lead fed outside the garage to the motorhome over the corner of the door frame which has a nice little gap, just right to let it through without squashing it, that way the only way that someone could nick it would be to cut it ... and electrocute themselves in the process hopefully!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Even when using an outdoor electric appliance (such as hedge trimmer) isn't it still recommended to use an RCD device in the socket? Or am I out of date.:Blush:

Certainly recommended with a cutting device and it definitely does no harm with anything else ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back