patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Hi, We have just bought our first MH - a new Bessecar E520. A bit extravagant you may think for our first MH but we just know that this is going to be the life for us now that we are both nearing retirement.
Of course we are going to have many questions to ask all you experienced motorhomers and the first one is .. Should we buy a steering lock?
Looking forward to getting to know you all...

Pat and Chris:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome Pat & chris.

a steering wheel lock is a start but i would opt for a proper motorhome alarm/immobiliser and a tracker on a brand new van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

It would help but as pappajohn says its a new van so maybe a bit more unless it has it fitted.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi, We have just bought our first MH - a new Bessecar E520. A bit extravagant you may think for our first MH but we just know that this is going to be the life for us now that we are both nearing retirement.
Of course we are going to have many questions to ask all you experienced motorhomers and the first one is .. Should we buy a steering lock?
Looking forward to getting to know you all...

Pat and Chris:winky:

Welcome to Fun, if this is your first foray into motorhomeing , ask as many questions you have, you have started off with a great van, I would look at Van Blitz, think that may be the way to go, than your stearing lock. :winky:

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
Hello and welcome .. We are new to it too but gaining experience all the time and what fun it is ! You will love it :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome guys, if you are seriously worried about security then maybe a Tracker might be a good investment or have others have suggested a
Strikeback from HERE:thumb:

Of course they are a little bit more money than a steering lock but on a brand new van well worth it:winky:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hello!

and Err, didn't Jim (our Ringleader, may his name be praised etc etc :notworthy::notworthy: ) write a downloadable book on the very subject of Motorhome Security? Would that be a Good Idea to have a read of that? cos I did actually think he might know what he was on about, summat to do with his past employment or something ....... :Doh:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hello and welcome, your insurance company will tell you what's best for your situation I'm sure,we found that having a recognized immobiliser or/and a tracker is best,
Although we have a Burstner M/H we love the Bessacar E540, and our youngest son works for the Swift Group, building both Swift and Bessacar and let me tell you, the workforce are so proud of the build quality and finish of all there motorhomes. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hello!

and Err, didn't Jim (our Ringleader, may his name be praised etc etc :notworthy::notworthy: ) write a downloadable book on the very subject of Motorhome Security? Would that be a Good Idea to have a read of that? cos I did actually think he might know what he was on about, summat to do with his past employment or something ....... :Doh:

Very good book:thumb:

I bought it but I have lost it somewhere on my ipad:Doh:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI and a warm welcome from us, enjoy your adventure's, i thought you should have a steering lock on your MH as standard , i agree with other posts a alarm of some sought, iam sure your insurance company will put you right, Alf.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Welcome to Fun. Although I don't have any statistics to back this up, the VAST majority of vehicles stolen nowadays have their keys stolen as well, the onboard immobilisers are that good and very difficult to bypass. A notable exception seems to be vehicles with electronic keys where someone has developed an Link Removed.

So the first security step should be to ensure your keys are kept secure.

The next step should be, as others have suggested, a good alarm which may allow you to sleep more comfortably when out and about and to protect the contents when you are not.

Steve

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Hi and welcome Pat & chris.

a steering wheel lock is a start but i would opt for a proper motorhome alarm/immobiliser and a tracker on a brand new van.

Have decided to follow advice and look into getting alarm fitted. Am a bit computer illiterate so hoping my replies and thanks get thru' ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back