enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Morning Funsters, Can anyone tell me the wheel base of a Hymer 660S from around the mid 80s. Also, if possible the length of the overhang behind the back axle.
the reason for the questions is that I hope to buy one of these iconic motorhomes but have to consider my 1 in 7 drive and back garden where it will live.
thanks in advance
Bill (enery8)

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Hi JJ, Not necessarily, when ever it is convenient. In fact an approx will do.
I just need to know I can get it in the garden before I go flying off to Germany to buy one! We can't get the caravan out of the garden on the back of the car without dragging its ar5e on the flat area as the caravan goes up the ramp. This is why we had to buy a motor mover.
Thanks for your answer.
all the best
[STRIKE]enery8[/STRIKE] Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Thanks JJ, thats brilliant! now I can start measuring ::bigsmile:
cheers, Bill

Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
660 over hang

Hi Enery8,
A point to consider is if the vehicle you are looking at has a towing bracket they are low on a S660. You can remove it of course if you do not need it.
I removed mine and it weighed 56 Kilos. Great vehicle had mine over ten years and it has done 150,000 miles and still going strong

Terence

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Hi Terence, Thanks for your input and the info about the towbar. I reckon we will need to use a towbar at times so will have to find a way to overcome that.
Does your 660s have air suspension? if so can you control the height? On my Range Rover there are 3 height settings that are user controllable. Loading, Normal and Wading. Wading is the highest. That little bit of extra height would make all the difference getting into our garden. Might have to have the drop kerb redone to lower the overall gradient of the driveway :Doh:

Thanks again
Bill

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always fit some industrial rollers under the towbar to stop it dragging.

the other option is get some short planks to get the height of the rear of the van up that once onto the second plank the front one gets put behind and so on until its fully on the drive.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I'd be tempted to alter the drive a little if possible, plus fit a replaceable skid plate under the tow bar to give more clearance then rollers.

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Morning Jamie,
Thanks for the idea, I think the skid plate might work (if necessary) We are already working on ideas for altering the drive, it needs repair in any case. I reckon I will have to have it skimmed and the area where the ramp meets the flat area along side the house filled in with fresh concrete.

Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
S660 tow brackets

Good morning Enery8

I know at least half a dozen people with S600s, to my knowledge no one has fitted air suspension mainly because the vehicle has a gross weight of 4700 kilos and unless they have a problem such as yours it would be a non starter in my opinion. From memory the tow bar is fitted to the chassis just behind the rear springs and has a very long single bar extending to the towing ball. Therefore I suggest there must be scope for fitting some kind of, 'Quick fit attachment' modification to the extention bar to reduce the length when reversing up the slope.

Terence

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Sounds like it may be beter to buy a new house on the flat::bigsmile:

Hope you find what you want
I think the old Hymer is now an icon.

Mel

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Good morning Enery8

I know at least half a dozen people with S600s, to my knowledge no one has fitted air suspension mainly because the vehicle has a gross weight of 4700 kilos and unless they have a problem such as yours it would be a non starter in my opinion. From memory the tow bar is fitted to the chassis just behind the rear springs and has a very long single bar extending to the towing ball. Therefore I suggest there must be scope for fitting some kind of, 'Quick fit attachment' modification to the extention bar to reduce the length when reversing up the slope.

Terence

That is very useful info Terence. I reckon I could work with that and make it a detachable towball. thank you for that. We are thinking that we will reduce to slope of the drive by filling in the bottom where it meets the flat part so that it levels out more gently. So maybe won't 'need' air sus but if it already has it ..........:thumb:

Bill

OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Sounds like it may be beter to buy a new house on the flat::bigsmile:

Hope you find what you want
I think the old Hymer is now an icon.

Mel

Hi Mel, We live in a sheltered bungalow and really don't want to move anyway, even if we had the choice. The driveway is the only negative:Smile:
If we hadn't lost our own place in the 80s due to illness and the sky high interest rates we would likely be living in France by now :cry:
However, we are happy where we are and will sort the problem and travel to France when we get our MH.

Interesting that you were a Transport Manager, I worked in Road Transport all my working life from van boy though the ranks to Distribution Manager including teaching CPCs on secondment.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back