PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Can you only stay one night in French aires, or can you stay longer; is there a strict one night only rule?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Can you only stay one night in French aires, or can you stay longer; is there a strict one night only rule?

I would not think so , but going to make sure. Have a look at the link i send you on the previous thread. Would have been better (may be) to keep all info on the same thread.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go for it !!

I frequently stay more than 1 night !!:thumb:

For instance....Montalivet les Bains aire...usually a month or so !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Each aire has its own regulations.
I have seen aires that allow as long as 7 days officially and some have no time limit as long as you pay the fees.

Some really rural ones that are free don't have anyone doing a daily check any way.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Link Removed

It says here that it is "usually" limited to 24h or 48h. It is now a law , just a rule you might find on some aires . So you'll have to check when entering on each aire.
Now .... according to me ... not sure that you can't get a bit more if there's no one else but you or even very few people .... just ask! All the rules are up to each village , so you will find "human beings" to answer your queries:winky::thumb: . I am pretty sure they will be more than happy to make a bit more money than none!!!:Cool:

Amicalement

OP
OP
P

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Thanks for the info.:thumb:

It seems play it by ear as you go, much the same as the principle behind aires - chill :Cool:

Didn't want to end up with tickets / fines etc. might atually have to talk (shock horror) to the locals in my (CSE (many moons ago) grade 1 plus with the help of a few school french exchanges) french.:RollEyes:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

Most Aires usually have a board telling you the various rules etc; I have stopped on some where the local council was quite happy for me to stay for as long as I wanted, I have never yet been told to move from an Aire :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Link Removed

It says here that it is "usually" limited to 24h or 48h. It is now a law , just a rule you might find on some aires . So you'll have to check when entering on each aire.
Now .... according to me ... not sure that you can't get a bit more if there's no one else but you or even very few people .... just ask! All the rules are up to each village , so you will find "human beings" to answer your queries:winky::thumb: . I am pretty sure they will be more than happy to make a bit more money than none!!!:Cool:

Amicalement

What Frankie has put is exactly correct.... we have stopped on hundreds of aires through the years in France and still do...we are now seeing signs saying 24 hours....48 hours and some have 72 hours...a lot are now putting prices on and electronic barriers....some have two barriers to control the length limit, the front barrier will not open until the back barrier closes...also on many there are line markings so a 5 er with slides would in affect take two may even take three places....I have also seen heated arguments with the French and the English when the english try or do put out there awnings...
Your length on a 5 er if left coupled up may cause another problem to other campers parking, entering and leaving the aire...Motorhomes, French motorhomes come and go every day, any time day or evening and night....I have seen many car and caravans, 4 wheel drive and caravans, and vans and caravans removed by the gendarmes...I have also been close to a French person that reported this other French person in a car and small eriba caravan.......they are not campsites.

Many may say they have stopped on Aires …many may have …what is the rule …I would think it depends on the French people whose French Aires we are kindly using and hopefully not abusing

Mel

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have seen the police being quite aggressive with a Brit next to us in a trailer tent on the Aire at Aytre at 07.30 one morning. They had apparently come on at approx 01.00 hrs in complete desperation after finding all the campsites en route Complet and having 3 children. There were still empty places on the aire so IMHO it was entirely unnecessary to stand there and wait for them to move, esp since it transpired the husband had already gone off on his bike to recheck campings.

And we wouldn't have known ANY of this had the police not woken us shouting at the poor lady.

We made them (the Brits) a cuppa, offered use of the loo etc and commiserated.

Plus at Merville-Franceville (5 vans though can squeeze 6 on if nobody else minds) a youngish French chap in an unconverted van who left his Alsatian in the van all day whilst he was out and had already told the Dutch people on the end, and others, that the 48 hour rule there didn't apply to him cos he was French, got chucked off by the local plod who kept coming back until he was there and they could! LOL That's a free aire but plod obviously do check even if you never see them. That was very quietly done unlike the Aytre police.

Then at Cabanes de Fleury certain (French) people seem to take up residence for months at a time* with pup tents, caravans, whatever, and often you can't move for cars with all the visitors from God knows where who to come to join them in their nightly merriment. That is one huge aire though, and everyone is really friendly.

* We've been there for best part of a week, then gone into the hinterland for 10 days or so at various places and then returned and the same folk are still in situ on the same pitch - so there you go! But they have to make ALL their money April to September basically, cos there isn't even a shop after the camping municipal shuts. Water goes off at the end of October and that's it till next year. Can't even empty your loo, just the grey water.

We've looked at the camping municipal but they want about €30 a night for a MH and really there's no point whatever that we can see in paying it. It does have trees round the edges of the roads so you might be lucky and get shade but anyway whilst you are at your van on the aire you can put your awning out a bit to sit under - although we don't leave it out or anchor it to rocks we've moved to do so, and set up the patio table & chairs, the cooker and the kitchen sink like the French do!

:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back