Recommendations for Devon & Cornwall? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We're planning to spend a couple of weeks in Devon & Cornwall this year, probably some time in June. We have some knowledge of the area, as Jill's parents used to live in Ilfracombe, but would appreciate any recommendations for good sites. Dog friendly is a must, and we prefer sites with a pub where food can be obtained within easy walking distance, also we have a preference for coastal sites. We enjoy the freedom of not booking too much in advance, but have been told that sites down there can be very busy, is this correct? If we found ourselves unable to get onto a site what are the prospects for wild camping for a couple of nights?

All advice gratefully received, as always.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We're planning to spend a couple of weeks in Devon & Cornwall this year, probably some time in June. We have some knowledge of the area, as Jill's parents used to live in Ilfracombe, but would appreciate any recommendations for good sites. Dog friendly is a must, and we prefer sites with a pub where food can be obtained within easy walking distance, also we have a preference for coastal sites. We enjoy the freedom of not booking too much in advance, but have been told that sites down there can be very busy, is this correct? If we found ourselves unable to get onto a site what are the prospects for wild camping for a couple of nights?

All advice gratefully received, as always.

wild camping wise the MMM list of motorhome sites on recently may help.
you might also look at the site list and britstops.

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wilding is pretty easy depending on what area of cornwall you are going to. There are some nice, friendly sites for dogs. I always avoid ones that charge, but there are plenty that don't.

There are cl's with pubs not far away, and there are some that have facilities on site - though many have put their prices up of late. There are a coiuple near Eden Project, whom have recently both come under new management - have the facilities you require, but you are looking £30 a night off peak.

There are CL's with pubseateries a couple of miles away for 10 a night - it depends on your budget and what area you wish to stay in really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you joined the Camping & Caravanning Club Mike? They have several THSs in Devon & Cornwall at very reasonable prices.

Sites at Exmouth, Newquay and Brixham in June all look to be MH friendly from a public transport point of view.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all - and yes, Graham, we're members of the C&CC.

I suppose what I was hoping for was something in the way of a personal recommendation rather than general advice on how to find sites - sites someone has actually stayed at recently that fit the bill and are well run and friendly.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you can always stay at Wellman's the laze buzzard i am sure

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Doves meadow campsite small not posh but 200 yrds from marazion beach and st michaels mount third of a mile from village pubs in village.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks to all - and yes, Graham, we're members of the C&CC.

I suppose what I was hoping for was something in the way of a personal recommendation.

Rainbow Chasers comment cant be ignored
"dogs. I always avoid ones that charge:ROFLMAO:"

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try Rogers place (WIldman)Ilfracombe Summer Rally15-19th august at the Lazy Buzzard Campsite in glorious North Devon EX348NY.*
Terry

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Marver holiday park .Mawgan porth nr newquay Cornwall .post code TR8 4BB .tel no 01637860493 .dogs welcome pub that you can go and have a meal in with your dog friendly beech

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We're members of both main clubs but on our recent (Oct/Nov) trip stayed on all CC sites at Dulverton and Minehead and Hillhead near Brixham. Suited us as they were all within walking distance of the village/town in the case of the first two, and on bus routes to Brixham, Paignton and Dartmouth from Hillhead. Despite the age discount from the C&CC site we find the CC are often cheaper for the same period, perhaps it's the location?

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Try gwithians near Hayley. Near beach pub outside site.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Doubletrees Farm Caravan Park, St Blazey Gate between Par and St Austell. Close to pubs, buses and Eden Project. Nice quiet site - family run. We love it!:Smile::Smile:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
If you are looking for a coastal site in North Devon, with sea views from every pitch, with a dog paddock & a dog walk, has 3 pubs all within a 1 mile walk that do great food & accept dogs, bus stop outside the site entrance, with friendly wardens (thats us) then come to Damage Barton. Look at www.damagebarton.co.uk The site owners have just created another 20 hardstandings so motorhomes can still be accomodated even in wet conditions. We have 2 spotless toilet blocks & a fully stocked shop. We are open from 15th March to 3rd Nov.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we went to the maker festival a couple of years ago and its a most wonderfull place which we intend going back to however ive just looked on the uk campsite website to find it for you and im now not sure they take motorhomes other than during the festival its worth checking out if you like the wilder side of camping views are astounding its very basic but i would go so far as to say magical read the reviews here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=8726
the whole area is a bit like the land that time forgot but not in a twee way like the isle of wight

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
One of the best sites I have ever stayed on in Devon is Ross Park at Ipplepen near Newton Abbot, especially dog friendly with big exercise area and shower and grooming room , excellent facilities and nice restaraunt and bar on site, another good pub within walking distance.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1322

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with Marie Doubltrees is excellent, convenient for the Eden Project and cheaper than C C sites.
If you need a stopover for a night Colliford Lake just off the A30 near Bolventor is good for wild camping, also you can park in the car parks at Tintagel overnight for £3.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As a tugger previously, I stayed at Tollgate Camp-site in Perranporth, Cornwall. Just 1 mile across dunes to town and 3 miles of dog friendly beach. Town has a selection of eateries. Bus stop outside site with excellent services to Newquay and Truro. Buses and site dog friendly. Good clean shower and toilet block. Pitches suitable for motorhomes. Family run site, postcode gives area, TR6 0AD. Huge dunes across road for dog walking morning and evenings. There are also wild camping spots on the cliffs overlooking the sea along the road between Portreath and Hayle.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We toured Cornwall in September 2012 and can recommend the following Caravan Club Sites, all of which are dog-friendly:

Trewethett Farm, Tintagel - stunning sea views.
Godrevy Park, Hayle - close to the sea across the dunes.
Looe Caravan Park - bus ride into town.
Marazion Caravan Club Site - no loo block but on the edge of a forest for walking the dog.

The National Trust site at Mullion (Tenerife Farm?) was lovely with access to the coastal path.

I wouldn't recommend the Parkdean site at Mullion. It is very cheap (£27 for 3 nights including hook up) and has bars and entertainment but the loo block was disgusting and the pitches very scruffy.

Hope that helps :Smile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you're not allergic to C&CC club sites then the one at Slapton Sands is pretty good, location is excellent, and if you're going in June you should (I think) avoid the school holidays. It's near the coast (5 minute walk) and the village next door has a couple of pubs, or you can pop down to Torcross (20-30 minute walk).

The roads around there can be pretty tight, and it's advisable to follow the C&CC directions to reach the site rather than try the shorter routes.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Avoid RANGITIRA

"He sulks if his team lose.":ROFLMAO:

That's not very nice!:Sad: Is it?:shout:

Bloody Furriner:winky:

One word of advise tho, (or several actually) Bring yer longs!, yer thermals!,and yer bloody wet suit and wellies:Blush:!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
AND! YES! I'm still sulking!:Angry:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
That's not very nice!:Sad: Is it?:shout:

Bloody Furriner:winky:

One word of advise tho, (or several actually) Bring yer longs!, yer thermals!,and yer bloody wet suit and wellies:Blush:!

Bloody Furriner:winky: ( yerright I was Born English)
dont support UK do I:cry:

Teddybard

Teddybard

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Doubletrees Farm Caravan Park, St Blazey Gate between Par and St Austell. Close to pubs, buses and Eden Project. Nice quiet site - family run. We love it!:Smile::Smile:

:Smile:So do we! When we first found it 1997 it was a cs. We have used at some time every year since. It is now a terraced site with extensive views out over St Austell bay. Gets very busy with tent campers when there are special events on at the Eden Project.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back