LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't worry John it's nothing serious and you can get medication for it.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've got that one John, been disappointed with the coverage so far, but Artona told me they are merging with another provider so it will get better.:Smile:

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Using mine now .... HSDPA speed at present. On the £15 a month contract for 3Gig download. A lot cheaper than the £45 a month I was paying previously on Vodaphone. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
And exactly how big is your dongle?:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've got that one John, been disappointed with the coverage so far, but Artona told me they are merging with another provider so it will get better.:Smile:

I got the one from T-Mobile for reasons discussed a week or two ago on Link Removed.

Partly that was because of coverage in a specific area of Dorset. However, as Jim says, T-Mobile and Three are combining their networks this year so (hopefully) should be better for all of us.

Slightly off topic but on another forum the other day somebody asked whether 3GB would be sufficient. It's early days for me yet - only used it for testing at home and for access when we went to visit my Mum last weekend. However, when I checked I found that so far I'd uploaded about 3.5 MB and downloaded about 19 MB - which probably equates to a day or so usage on the road.

My usage is along the lines of e-mails, forum checking plus a bit of general surfing (e.g. checking public transport and tourist sites for wherever we might be).

3 GB per month averages out at about 100 MB a day so I think it will be plenty for me, especially as I won't be using it anywhere near like every day.

Graham

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Three yes.

Its a deal where theres no charge for the Dongle but a £10 pcm for 18 month on 1 GB pcm.

It's a broadband speed Mobile INTERNET modem John.

I hope 1 GB is enough as will only use it while away which isn't a lot:cry:

Will i need to cancel certain things when I log on to save MB?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Vodaphone have recently come down in price Leigh. I have the 7.2mbs one -£15 per month for 3 gigs. Its been working really well now for a couple of weeks. We are in a really weak signal area but no problem.

I could not get the usb one to work on my system but that was probably down to my system rather than the dongle so I have got the express card one. Some laptops have not got a card slot but you can get an express card to usb adaptor.

Be interesting to compare them at Newark John and yes Jim is right Three are being taken over by T Mobile

stew

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

ps, I have a crafty way of keeping the useage down John, if you are interested let me know

stew

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Three yes.

Its a deal where theres no charge for the Dongle but a £10 pcm for 18 month on 1 GB pcm.

at the moment i'm on t-mobile but i noticed jim say t-mobile and 3 are ganging up on everyone else so this might mean t-mobile will offer the same deal.
i take it it works like a mobile, if you get a signal you get internet.?

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

Vodaphone have recently come down in price Leigh. I have the 7.2mbs one -£15 per month for 3 gigs. Its been working really well now for a couple of weeks. We are in a really weak signal area but no problem.

I could not get the usb one to work on my system but that was probably down to my system rather than the dongle so I have got the express card one. Some laptops have not got a card slot but you can get an express card to usb adaptor.

Be interesting to compare them at Newark John and yes Jim is right Three are being taken over by T Mobile

stew

Hi Stew .. who are you contracted with ... Vodaphone direct? Thats a flippin good price! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
at the moment i'm on t-mobile but i noticed jim say t-mobile and 3 are ganging up on everyone else so this might mean t-mobile will offer the same deal.
i take it it works like a mobile, if you get a signal you get internet.?

I think so but much faster if its working right:winky:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi

ps, I have a crafty way of keeping the useage down John, if you are interested let me know

stew

please let me know (its due in the post tomorrow) so will be able to start testing things::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
T-Mobile, Three and Vodafone all have similar deals at the moment - basically £15 per month for a 24 month contract with a 3GB per month data limit (upload + download).

I chose T-Mobile partly because they only warn you if you go over the monthly limit rather than charge you (which the other two do). T-Mobile also (until the end of the month) bundle in free access to their WiFi hotspots as part of the package.

I've since been told that Carphone Warehouse have a limited time T-Mobile cashback deal which (if you remember to claim it) works out at £10 a month over the 2 years rather than £15. Carphone Warehouse apparently also sell the Three dongle but no discount on that deal.

Graham

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

John - you have a pm. Leigh, its direct with vodaphone

stew

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Sorry to intrude on your thread but you all seem to know your subject::bigsmile:

I have had a laptop for just over a year now and have only ever been able to connect to the internet at home, via my WiFi router; bit pointless really and as I was presented with this on the basis that I would be able to keep up with the www in the van also a little embarrassing:Sad:

The problem is that it is a Dell with only an express card slot and when I've searched for suitable modems which fit in this slot they are priced at well over £65, one was about £160:Eeek: Older PCMIA modem cards are cheaper but as far as I know they won't fit. I keep hoping that the expess cards will drop in price as the standard becomes more popular but it ain't happened yet.

So I suppose my question is has anyone come across a cheap express card modem, or is it best to just go down the dongle route?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Steptoe

Have a look at vodaphone, they do a usb and an express data card, both operating at speeds upto 7.2mbs.

I have been connecting to the internet via mobile phone network since March 2006 from the same laptop. I often experiment with different ways and try to keep up with the best way. I have loaded 143 different modem set ups.

The reason I mention this is the usb modem that vodaphone supply would not load with my system. Neither the vodaphone expert nor myself could get it to work. I loaded it onto my daughters laptop with no problem at all so it is my system.

I then changed it for the express card on vodaphone's suggestion as they said the software was more flexible and it has worked without a hitch.

I have also bought an express card to usb converter so I can use it on a machine that does not have an express card slot.

stew

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Hi Artona,

Thanks for the tip re. Vodaphone. That is the cheapest Express card I've seen yet, as long as the 24 month option is selected, same price as for a dongle! The 3Gb monthly rate is quite competitive, especially as I'm now just negotiated a saving of £8 monthly on my home broadband.

I might hang on for a month or so before I sign up in case any more good deals come through (such as a 12 month contract for the same price:winky:)

Thanks again for your help, dilemna is sorted, the express card opton is much neater and I'm encouraged by you finding it more compatible with the laptop!

Steptoe

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Three yes.

If your laptop is set to automatically download Microsoft updates when they become available, and antivirus definitions, it might be worth disabling the feature while you're on the Dongle John.

Also Web page cacheing.Increase the cache size and change the settings in Internet explorer / Tools /Internet Options /Browsing History/Settings

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
See me at Newark Steve if your not to busy with viewing of you beautiful bus:thumb:and of course drinking:drink::beer:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
See me at Newark Steve if your not to busy with viewing of you beautiful bus:thumb:and of course drinking:drink::beer:

She still needs a lot of work John.

Look forward to it.:thumb:

Basically you need to look at any application that looks for Auto updates.

I believe there was an application that was originally posted by Digger driver that appears to accelerate internet downloads.It read as though it used a data compression technique to achieve this.

If so, it may be worth investigating that to save download data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Got me DONGLE so i be Dongling at Newark:roflmto::roflmto:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi John

Three is working well in Newark John

stew

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I am not going to fire it up till i get there so some of you kind experts can closed down what eats up the MB:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back