1st Timer - Touring Continent (1 Viewer)

Alkaz

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi,
Will be hiring a Motorhome in July 2013 and this will be my first time travelling in a Motorhome. I live in North East and my initial thoughts were to ferry from Hull to Belgium. Head to Luxemborg, Germany, Switzerland then in to France to head back home. I'll be away for 2 weeks. Am I being too ambitious??? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Alkaz

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
have you actually measured the mileage. Thats at least 1500 miles round trip to Rotterdam. that will entail driving several hours a day most days, not much chance of actually seeing anything or exploring. You could easily spend 2 weeks meandering down through the Netherlands to Germany then along the mosel valley popping into Luxembourg from the north come out south into France and Visit Metz, then Lille, Dunkirk and back through Belgium. Quite far enough for a 2 week trip. Don't rush you are on holiday. Visiting Germany you will need a sticker for the window stating your emmissions before you enter an umwelt zone or you will get fined. Switzerland is very expencive to travel through I believe you will need a go box.

From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ?Umwelt Zones? (green zones).

The participating cities are: Augsburg, Berlin, Braunschweig, K?ln (Cologne), Darmstadt, Dresden, D?sseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Islfeld, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Leipzig, Leonburg, Ludwigsburg, Madgeburg, Mannheim, M?hlacker, M?nchen (Munich), Neu-Ulm, N?rnberg (Nuremberg), Pforzheim, Pleidelsheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen, Ruhr Area, Schw?bish-Gmund, Stuttgart, T?bingen and Ulm.

You must present your vehicle registration document at Pollution Badge (Umwelt Plakette) sales outlets, including vehicle repair centres, car dealers, MOT (T?v) stations and vehicle licensing offices, and you will be issued with a badge, coloured (Red/Yellow/Green) according to your vehicle?s Euro emission rating.

The cost of the badge is understood to be between ?5 and ?10 and, once issued, covers you throughout Germany for the life of your vehicle. Failure to display a badge could incur a fine of ?40. Enforcement will be managed by the police, local authorities and traffic wardens.

This website gives a lot of information (in German): http://www.umwelt-plakette.de
Also Link Removed

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As said before a hell of a long way, better to plan shorter trip for first time, when we go, we only plan to travel max 200 miles a day, untill we get to the area that we want to go to i.e. Brittany ,then no more than 40/50 miles each day travelling from aire to aire allowing us time to explore the surrounding area, otherwise all you see is thru the windscreen (def not an enjoyable holiday unless all you want to do is driving).
Terry:sin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
Will be hiring a Motorhome in July 2013 and this will be my first time travelling in a Motorhome. I live in North East and my initial thoughts were to ferry from Hull to Belgium. Head to Luxemborg, Germany, Switzerland then in to France to head back home. I'll be away for 2 weeks. Am I being too ambitious??? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Alkaz

A bit ambitious. I'd limit myself to Germany and Switzerland. That way you'll not be driving every day. For that matter Germany is plenty for 2 weeks. Along the Moselle, down the Rhine to the Rhine Falls and back. Glorious. Chill out, it's what MHs are about.

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
It's a long drag that, I'd do a long drive down to Dover stay over night at the Canterbury aire then ferry over to France and bimble about in France for 2 week the cost of fuel to get to Dover would be far less than the overnight ferry cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It's a long drag that, I'd do a long drive down to Dover stay over night at the Canterbury aire then ferry over to France and bimble about in France for 2 week the cost of fuel to get to Dover would be far less than the overnight ferry cost.

Bimbling? Good word, know exactly what you mean, and good advice!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I agree with Redchad - France is the easiest country for a newbie to visit, and you can wander around without an itinery. That way, if you fancy site seeing, there's plenty of time. We made the mistake of trying to much when we hired a van, and it was exhausting! France has few complications, lovely weather, empty roads, and more aires and campsites than you can shake a stick at!
Enjoy!
:Smile::Smile:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Truly sound advice here from some very experienced Motorhomers. I suspect your thoughts are that "I am paying a lot of money to hire a Motorhome, I want the most out of it".

However, just 1 hour per day driving (apart from Day 1) will give you a much varied experience.

Sometimes, less is more.

Steve

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
You don't say how many of you are travelling? Even the most loving family will start to revolt, if locked in a travelling motorhome :roflmto:

OP
OP
A

Alkaz

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Many thanks for all your replies - it would appear I have been over ambitious!! Certainly has given me food for thought.
Thanks once again - very much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many thanks for all your replies - it would appear I have been over ambitious!!

I very common error.

Unless you have no need for fuel economy and just floor it at 20mpg then a top average is 50 mph. That's fine for an all day burst to break the back of a journey if you are on limited time, but every day, it does not qualify as holiday.

Our worst was Morocco. 1400 miles from Calais to Algecieras. We did it quickly and it took the edge off the holiday. We cam back needing a holiday.

I stick with my original advice, Calais - Koblenz - Rhine Falls = 600 miles. Glorious rivers to drive by. Glorious wine to buy. Castles to see. So 200 miles, stop, repeat 'till at Rhine Falls, then decide if you need to wander into Switzerland.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Whilst I agree with many posters on here, that for a first time trip in a motorhome, less would be more & you would probably be better off with less driving on you first trip.

However, for me, I do not have a motorhome to 'bimble' I have it to get me where I want to be, to carry my toys & to provide accomodation when I'm there.

I'm quite content to drive from South Wales to Austria or Slovenia (over 1000 miles) only stopping for the ferry & fuel.

So, my advice would be to take it easy on your first trip and consider the options for your future adventures.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hopefully they have been and come back by now as this thread is over 5 years old! :rofl:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We never pre plan. Just stop in nice places, explore, enjoy and move on. 2 weeks isn't very long in a motorhome, just do the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier and the Alsace region. Beautiful and plenty to see. (lots of aires and stellplatz too).
Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Agree, France is Motorhome heaven no better way of introducing yourself foreign touring.
A close second is Germany, best option for Germany is to hire the van in Germany ½ the price of the UK. We did it a couple of times before we bought our first van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back