Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
25 years
hi folks as a new member, ha anyone out there got any heating problems with there new bailey 7 series vans

usually we complain of being cold, but not this one, the truma boiler/heater is located under the fixed corner bed, from there they have run 4 x 65 mm outlet hot air pipes the full length of the bed and out into the rest of the van.

32 Feet of pipe generates so much heat that below the bed the temperature is 60 DEGREES CENTIGRADE

you can not touch the mattress due to the heat and we have now stopped using the van overnight until we can find a solution

When we looked at the brochure before buying the van it showed the boiler/heater unit under the sink unit.

has any one out there got the same problem.

thanks John.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi wrap the pipes in lagging or you can buy some 4 ins fiberglass coated ducting (used for sound deadening) and run the ducts through that
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The problem is if you mess with the heating system at all they will not warrant any repairs

OP
OP
D

dieseldan740

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
25 years
So what did Bailey say when you asked them?

hi many thanks, have contacted bailey via there helpline, we are still waiting for a call back from one of there engineers, meanwhile i have contacted Truma in derby to clarify the installation instruction for the boiler/heater unit.

Looks like a design fault for the location at the moment.

many thanks john.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a boiler under the single bed at the rear of the van and Tez has taken to sleeping with his head against the shower wall as he finds the heat to much as well. Why don't they find another place to put the boiler when building these vans.We have a dinette up front which isn't a bed, they could have put it there.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They probably put it there because it is easy to get to :thumb:I must admit that on my next build I thought about putting everything under the bed for easy access but now will have to have yet another rethink::bigsmile:
terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
meanwhile i have contacted Truma in derby to clarify the installation instruction for the boiler/heater unit.
Looks like a design fault for the location at the moment.

Complying with all the Truma installation requirements seems to be beyond most motorhome manufacturers, when you consider all the other items that have to be squeezed into a very limited total space. I'm assuming you've got a Combi 4/6 (E) but you can download the installation instructions for any of their boilers here: Link Removed

In the case of my van, the boiler is located centrally under the sink - which gives even heat distribution throughout the van as all duct runs are of roughly equal length. However, access to it is far from easy as you have to dismantle the innards of the under-sink cupboard to get at it if there's a problem.

Also, although Hobby have (probably) technically complied with the requirements of the recirculated air intake, in that the vent is the correct size and does (eventually) lead into the installation compartment, any air taken in has to bounce off a wall less than an inch away and crawl its way past the water tank to get anywhere near the boiler! I will shortly be rectifying this by installing extra vents in the under-sink fascia so that air can flow directly into the boiler compartment from the living area.

Having the boiler in the centre of the van also means that it acts as a useful heat source in itself. However, knowing the amount of heat it produces, there is no way I would want it located under the bed. My van has just one duct that passes under the fixed bed and that is enough by itself to keep the under-bed locker pleasantly warm. Hope Bailey come up with a solution to your hot bed problem for you.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The underbed area wll get warm but it shouldn't be reaching 60 deg C. Check that none of the outlet pipes have come adrift from the heater therefore letting the warm air into the heater compartment. Also check that there is a decent sized inlet vent in the compartment. The heated air has to be recirculated and it can only do this if there is a vent through from living area to heater compartment. If the vent is missing/too small/obscured then the heater can get too hot although it will usually oveheat and go to fault condition if this is the case.

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They probably put it there because it is easy to get to :thumb:I must admit that on my next build I thought about putting everything under the bed for easy access but now will have to have yet another rethink::bigsmile:
terry
Just thought about this a bit more and I have everything under my bed except the boiler ::bigsmile: I boxed everything in so that I could use the space left as storage without bashing things into the heater/Wiring etc, so in effect I have insulated the heater and pipe work :thumb:::bigsmile:
BTW it does not get hot under the bed :winky:
terry

OP
OP
D

dieseldan740

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
25 years
We have a boiler under the single bed at the rear of the van and Tez has taken to sleeping with his head against the shower wall as he finds the heat to much as well. Why don't they find another place to put the boiler when building these vans.We have a dinette up front which isn't a bed, they could have put it there.

Hi many thanks for your reply, when we ordered the van the layout shows the boiler/heater unit below the sink.

Not this one, boiler is back against the rear wall, the vehicle has a corner bed with your feet facing the kitchen, The last hot air duct comes out in the foot well of the habitation door. no heat at all after that, We sit up front on the reversed cab seats with winter jompers on in a £45,000 vehicle, and still no reply from Truma or Bailey, do you think we have a valid claim for
"NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE" :thumb:

Kind regards john.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi many thanks for your reply, when we ordered the van the layout shows the boiler/heater unit below the sink.

Not this one, boiler is back against the rear wall, the vehicle has a corner bed with your feet facing the kitchen, The last hot air duct comes out in the foot well of the habitation door. no heat at all after that, We sit up front on the reversed cab seats with winter jompers on in a £45,000 vehicle, and still no reply from Truma or Bailey, do you think we have a valid claim for
"N[HI]OT FIT FOR PURPOSE" :thumb:
[/HI]
Kind regards john.

i doubt that....:Sad: id be back to supplying dealer or local agreed Bailey warranty repairer and get them to sort it out.
Dave Newell is probably correct in maybe a pipe adrift.
we have combi 6 under the bed and it can get warm when on high but certainly not that hot.

camsh

Free Member
Aug 2, 2012
scotland
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Im a newbie
i also have a bailey 745 and the bed gets warm but not too hot also find it warm enough when sitting up front
camsh

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Bailey Boliler & Bed Issues

We have the Bailey Approach 740 and have had a condensation problem under our bed. We noticed it after having the heating on low overnight, when we got home we noticed the mattress was reallly damp at the edges. We stripped the bed and have dried everything out and propped the mattress up to get the air circulating and popped in a small dehumidifier to dry everything up. If it gets as warm as you found under the mattress, that could explain the problem! We also keep a small oil filled rad in the van on low during the winter and put the silver screens on, everything appears dry and now the mattress has aired and dried seems OK. A bit concerned that this could be a design issue! :Eeek:

We have contacted the Bailey's helpline and are waiting for a reply. I will update my blog with the problem and solution when I get a moment. We have found the heating works fine other than this problem and generally the van is very dry and warm.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

"NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE" :thumb:

Kind regards john.

We have a 745 - have just spent New Year at Gantown on Spey. Temps varied from minus 3 to plus 8! Heating performed really well, highest we had it (on mains) was numer 4 and that was only for a short time one very cold morning. We have external thermal blinds which we always use in winter. Plenty warm enough sitting in cab sets, no thick jumpers or fleeces needed, plus no condensation. Haven't checked under the mattress but OH gt stuff out and then paced things away and I am sure he would have noticed.
Haven't tred it out in really cold conditions such the normal way belw freezing temps we get up here but so far are very happy with the heating and insulation.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Would not be at all supprised on a new van if your outlet hose has not been fitted correctly, on my dethleffs found 2 adrift after finding lack of heating throughout van and wardrobe turned into oven.
they are only a press in fit and had to secure mine with cable ties
THT

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The Truma Combi on our Auto-Trail Comanche is under the fixed island bed at the rear of the van. My wife uses it as a drying room for damp towels etc and it works very well for this. Obviously not putting the towels anywhere near contact with the boiler.
The bed does get warm on a night but is cosy rather than hot, unless you have the heating turned up to 4 or more. When we go to bed we always turn it down to 2 or less. Even just heating water can put the under bed temp up. First one up to make a brew in the morning turns it up to 4 and pops back into bed to have their cuppa. By the time we have finished (our drinks !!!!) the MH is warm.
Because of the length of ducting the hot air has to travel to get to the hab area we have the vents in the bedroom and toilet closed, and only the front ones open in the hab area. If we leave the bedroom ducts open all the heat is in there and none gets to the hab area. The bedroom is still very warm and we leave the door between the two open.
It will get cold(er) in the front cab area as it is vented and allows air in from the outside. We use Taylor-Made silver outside thermal screen covers, which cover the vents, and it makes a world of difference.

Salamander

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745 SE
Exp
10 years
Heating/condensation problem

I have a Bailey745 and have not experienced any condensation problems under the fixed bed. I did find that the vent tubes come adrift quite easily when items stored under the bed get moved. I must get round to making some sort of barrier fence to keep things away from the Truma and the water pump.
Also agree that its worth turning the heating temperature down at night to avoid the Truma warming the bed too much.
Lesley, I notice from your blog that the bed support strut jammed and part of the laminate got broken. I know this is OT but I had exactly the same prob
John

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The Truma Combi on our Auto-Trail Comanche is under the fixed island bed at the rear of the van. My wife uses it as a drying room for damp towels etc and it works very well for this. Obviously not putting the towels anywhere near contact with the boiler.
The bed does get warm on a night but is cosy rather than hot, unless you have the heating turned up to 4 or more. When we go to bed we always turn it down to 2 or less. Even just heating water can put the under bed temp up. First one up to make a brew in the morning turns it up to 4 and pops back into bed to have their cuppa. By the time we have finished (our drinks !!!!) the MH is warm.
Because of the length of ducting the hot air has to travel to get to the hab area we have the vents in the bedroom and toilet closed, and only the front ones open in the hab area. If we leave the bedroom ducts open all the heat is in there and none gets to the hab area. The bedroom is still very warm and we leave the door between the two open.
It will get cold(er) in the front cab area as it is vented and allows air in from the outside. We use Taylor-Made silver outside thermal screen covers, which cover the vents, and it makes a world of difference.

We do the same in our Comanche, use the under bed storage as an airing cupboard only, keep the rear vents closed and leave heating on 3. Nice and warm. I do not have the screen covers yet, I must get some as it is quite noticeable the difference in the temp from front to back.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We do the same in our Comanche, use the under bed storage as an airing cupboard only, keep the rear vents closed and leave heating on 3. Nice and warm. I do not have the screen covers yet, I must get some as it is quite noticeable the difference in the temp from front to back.

I would recomend Taylor-Made as we have had no problems with ours, and as I said, the difference is very noticeable. Of course a bonus is that they prevent condensation on the cab windows.
Other makes are on the market and probably perform equally as good, so it is a matter of personal choice.

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
I have a 745 and the heating has performed very well, even in minus temperatures. We have found that turning the control to 2 during the night and up a little during the day works well. The bed becomes comfortable at 2 , no doonas needed at 3 or 4 . One of my pipes came off under the bed and it did get rather warm but was easy fixed. I will lag the pipes later but so far have been too lazy.

:thumb:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I would recomend Taylor-Made as we have had no problems with ours, and as I said, the difference is very noticeable. Of course a bonus is that they prevent condensation on the cab windows.
Other makes are on the market and probably perform equally as good, so it is a matter of personal choice.

Thanks, always good to get a recommendation. I have just ordered a set from Taylor Made so should recieve them in a week or so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back