What size scooter can I drive? (1 Viewer)

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Hi I don't have a motorbike licence but seem to remember that I can drive/ride an under 50cc moped in France without a licence. Anyone know if this is correct? I have a mountain bike on the back of the motorhome at the moment but reckon a moped/scooter would be better and easier on the legs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from DVLA website

If you want to ride a moped you first need to complete CBT unless you passed your full car driving test before 1 February 2001. In this case you can ride a moped, but still need to complete CBT to ride a motorcycle.

and in typical dvla confusing fashion....

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don’t need to take CBT to ride a moped.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
50cc and restricted to 31mph

French rules on what you can drive are for French nationals only.

I beleive 14 year olds can ride mopeds as if they ride push bikes...no licence required

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
When you have sorted the license, then start the debate about weights, overhang, towball limits etc... !! You may find you cant legally carry one.. !!

Fingers crossed... It's a bit of a minefield,, :RollEyes:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I read on here sometime ago that if you buy one of these scooters with the 2 wheels at the front,you can drive them on a car licence even upwards of 300 cc .
So if you check out the weight issue you might be better to carry something with a bit more oomph!
Does anyone know if you can carry passengers on these scooters whilst riding under a car licence .
Vlad.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Are these scooters classed as trikes ?
2 wheels at the front possibly only 300 mm apart,not quite a quad or a trike .A confused scooter perhaps?

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuc51_ZFA0"]Norman The Dog Riding Scooter - YouTube[/ame]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are these scooters classed as trikes ?
2 wheels at the front possibly only 300 mm apart,not quite a quad or a trike .A confused scooter perhaps?
still got three wheels.

its the distance between axles that make a difference.

a twin axle trailer with the axles less than (I think) 750mm apart count, technically, as one axle

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Having just purchased one, yes you can ride on a car license and carry a passenger. No training, no CBT, No `L` plates. No helmet if you are really crazy.....

Crazy really as it`s only a tricycle when standing still, as soon as you move off it rides, corners like a bike and will fall over (unlike Harley trike).

It`s a Piaggio MP3 mine is the 500cc the largest they make and is 260Kg fully fuelled. Picked up a trailer yesterday to tow it. A bit different to a moped, it will do about 95mph apparently.

A Funster has a 250cc (2008) for sale at around £2750 if you are interested.

Steve

Attachments

• MP3 Cops.jpg
    MP3 Cops.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 51
  • MP3-500-Sport-LT.jpg
    MP3-500-Sport-LT.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Just a thought - have you considered an electric bike? I have one and although you do have to pedal, it's so much easier we find we can go further (and I can keep up with my husband!)
:roflmto:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Having just purchased one, yes you can ride on a car license and carry a passenger. No training, no CBT, No `L` plates. No helmet if you are really crazy.....

Steve

Dont think you can ride without a helmet.

I understand a trike is helmet or safety belt.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont think you can ride without a helmet.

I understand a trike is helmet or safety belt.
Not in the UK.

quadricycle and tricycle both come under the same heading and no helmet or belt required...gotta be mad not to though !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa just a note as far as i know if the wheels are less than 460mm apart measured from the center of the tread it would classed as one wheel .
crash hats only for bi cycles .
mind i wore this .i thought it fitted the trike well. hee hee
not german though its actually spanish.

Attachments

• scan 1trike helmet run.jpg
    scan 1trike helmet run.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26
  • img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just a thought - have you considered an electric bike?
:roflmto:

Every time we use ours we say/think "could not do this with a motor bike".

All over the pavements, pedestrian areas. No-one complains. It's just normal abroad.

Having said that I was told to get off on Lake Garda by a cop on a 125cc bike. Fair enough, it did say no bikes. He carried on, followed by a dozen or more bikes being ridden. The main thing is not to go so fast as to endanger the peds.

Hills and long distances ( over 10 miles ) and then petrol power wins.

I have just logged 200 miles on our trip round Europe.

May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
scooter issues

Even if you can ride a scooter on the basis of "grandfather rights" on your license, there are a number of issues. Insurance may be problematic and may not cover you to carry a pillion.

I carry a Honda SH125 scooter on a Burstner Solano, and found that you cannot legally carry one of these on a rack without overloading the rear axle. The only way to do it is on a trailer. There are some sites which allow you to enter the size of your overhang and load weight into an equation which gives the rear axle load. see Link Removed

Again, even if you can fit a scooter in the garage, you will probably find that the floor is not rated to carry this weight.

A 50cc scooter is really only designed for one person. They struggle to carry a pillion and because of the speed limitation ( 28 miles per hour), can feel very dangerous in traffic. Electric bicycles may go as fast!:whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the 50cc bikes cope very well with two.
most garages are capable of a lightweight scooter or bike .sticking them on a rack uses a leverage that is related to the distance from a pivot . thats why racks dont always work . as for insurance as a full moped licence holder it should be no problem carrying pasengers .
seems you bought the wrong camper then the wrong bike and forgot the weight of the rack .
you only have to think of pounds foot and work it out .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back